The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help With Pathology Report

Forums General Melanoma Community Help With Pathology Report

Participant

A brief history: Stage 4a; tumors removed, from right calf and left elbow, skin graft, and lymph nodes removed under left arm in fall of 2015. Recurrance/new tumor just above inital tumor site in right calf in February 2017. Just had surgery (March 1) to remove this most recent tumor and was wondering about a few of the things in the pathology report. (Did 3 doses of ipi/nivo and have been on nivo alone for 9 months or so.)

I would like to know what the following terms might mean and, if anyone has had similar reports, what this might mean for treatment going forward. 

1. lymphovascular invasion present

2. perineural invasion present

I had a PET scan today and won't get to meet with my oncologist to go over the reports until Wednesday. Any information to help me understand what this means and to help me prepare questions will be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        stars
        Participant

Unfortunately those terms mean that melanoma is on the move. Lymphovascular invasion means actvity in both lymph and blood systems (two separate ways that melanoma moves), perineural means around the nerves. I'm not sure what the implicaitons are for you but it's basically on the move.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics