The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help With Biopsy Report Please Desmoplastic Compound Nevus

Forums General Melanoma Community Help With Biopsy Report Please Desmoplastic Compound Nevus

Participant

Hi, I am just curious if anyone can help interpret this report.  I went in today for a second shave biopsy and the doctor said this type of nevus is rare and they just don't know whether it is anything or not because it is difficult to distinguish from melanoma.  He said he didn't know why it didn't mention the spitzoid cells in the diagnosis.  They will call me again in a week or so when they get the results.  When they called me on Monday to come back in, the lady who called had no idea what it was, but said it was good and no melanoma, but she said really didn't know how to read the report.  The person who took me back couldn't explain it to me, either, and said ask the doctor, that he had rarely seen the terminology.  When the doctor came in and said it is still questionable, I was quite surprised and don't know if I should be worried or not.  Thank you very much for any help you are able to offer.  

It was read at a Dermatopathology Lab.

Microscopic Description

The sections demonstrate a shave biopsy in which there is compound melanocytic proliferation, consisting of junctional component exhibiting features of dysplastic nevus while the dermal component shows epithelioid and pigmented morphology with prominent nucleoli and moderate cytologic atypia.  No definitive mitotic figure identified.  The spitzoid dermal component inolves the deep margin.

Diagnosis

Desmoplastic Compound Nevus (See Comment)  Comment: The differential diagnosis includes superficial aspect of deep penetrating nevus.  Nevertheless, since the lesion involves the deep margin, re-excision is recommneded to ensure complete removal. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jvictoria
        Participant

Hi… Is there an issues with just having it removed? Curious as to why they want to shave again…

jvictoria
          Participant

Hi… Is there an issues with just having it removed? Curious as to why they want to shave again…

twolf9246
              Participant

I have no idea.  The doc said it was deep and they wanted the whole thing out.  He said if there isn't any problem he will see me for a check-up in six months.  If not, we will decide to go forward.  He said had the report said severe cytologic atypia, they would be treating it as a melanoma right now. 

jvictoria
                Participant

Not a doctor here… but, my 2 cents. Get it cut out with good margins by a dermo that specializes in Melanoma. Good luck.

twolf9246
                  Participant
                    Thank you!!
                    twolf9246
                    Participant
                      Thank you!!
                      twolf9246
                      Participant
                        Thank you!!
                        jvictoria
                        Participant

Not a doctor here… but, my 2 cents. Get it cut out with good margins by a dermo that specializes in Melanoma. Good luck.

jvictoria
                          Participant

twolf9246
                            Participant

I have no idea.  The doc said it was deep and they wanted the whole thing out.  He said if there isn't any problem he will see me for a check-up in six months.  If not, we will decide to go forward.  He said had the report said severe cytologic atypia, they would be treating it as a melanoma right now. 

twolf9246
                              Participant

jvictoria
                              Participant

stars
                                Participant

Was it a second shave, or a proper excision with stitches? If it's not the latter, you really need to get that done then forget all about it. It simply needs full excision with good margins. I don't think it's good practice to do that with shaves – I think you need proper excision, final pathology and then you'll have peace of mind. Any suspected melanoma should be properly excised – not punch or shave biopsies. I know in practice this doesn't always happen at first, but if pathology recommends excision I personally would not settle for another shave.

stars
                                  Participant

Was it a second shave, or a proper excision with stitches? If it's not the latter, you really need to get that done then forget all about it. It simply needs full excision with good margins. I don't think it's good practice to do that with shaves – I think you need proper excision, final pathology and then you'll have peace of mind. Any suspected melanoma should be properly excised – not punch or shave biopsies. I know in practice this doesn't always happen at first, but if pathology recommends excision I personally would not settle for another shave.

twolf9246
                                      Participant
                                        It was a second shave. Thank you. I will ask about it when they call.
                                        twolf9246
                                        Participant
                                          twolf9246
                                          Participant
                                          stars
                                          Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics