The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help us to help you by creating a profile

Forums General Melanoma Community Help us to help you by creating a profile

Participant

If you have recently joined this forum, it would be very helpful if you
      could create a brief profile so that we can quickly assess what stage you
      (or the person that you are concerned about) is at.

There are some very knowledgeable people in this forum, who are more up to
      date than some doctors are. However, in order for you to get the best
      possible answers to your questions we really do need a basic profile in
      order to help us to help you. It doesn't have to be very long at all, but

If you have recently joined this forum, it would be very helpful if you
      could create a brief profile so that we can quickly assess what stage you
      (or the person that you are concerned about) is at.

There are some very knowledgeable people in this forum, who are more up to
      date than some doctors are. However, in order for you to get the best
      possible answers to your questions we really do need a basic profile in
      order to help us to help you. It doesn't have to be very long at all, but
      should include the following as per your profile page:

Melanoma Stats
      Initial Diagnosis date
      Stage at Diagnosis
      Current Stage (this is important)
      Depth of Primary (this is very important)

Treatment Stats
      Treatment Center:
      Clinical Trials (this is extremely important)

Thanks,
      Frank

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

Frank, I read through your profile and can't figure out the meaning of former caregiver.  Care to elaborate?

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

It just a way of indicating that I was heavily involved in looking after my
              late wife from initial diagnosis to the moment that she lost her battle with
              this horrible disease. I am an early retiree, so I had the time to attend
              nearly all of her appointments and treatments with her.

Unfortunately, her oncologists couldn't offer her much in the way of
              effective treatments and the cancer spread relentlessly throughout her body.
              Therefore, I took over running of the household to give her the best chance
              of reducing stress and maintaining some quality of life for as long as
              possible. I also tried to help to cope with the side effects of surgery,
              radiation treatment, chemo and a clinical trial.

Frank

Jan in OC
              Participant

Frank, Being a caregiver is no small thing.  My husband has been stage 4 for the last 1 1/2 years and I have done everything since then.  All he has to do is focus on living!  We are truly partners in this battle as it affects our entire family. I commend you  and all other caregivers out there.

Jan, wife to Dirk

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Thanks Jan. I am not sure why, but I didn't see your reply until today while
                  I was searching for something else. I appreciate your kind words.

I certainly agree that melanoma not only affects the patient, but also those
                  closest to them. All spouses who are currently caregivers deserve to be
                  especially commended.

Frank

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Thanks Jan. I am not sure why, but I didn't see your reply until today while
                    I was searching for something else. I appreciate your kind words.

I certainly agree that melanoma not only affects the patient, but also those
                    closest to them. All spouses who are currently caregivers deserve to be
                    especially commended.

Frank

Jan in OC
                    Participant

Frank, Being a caregiver is no small thing.  My husband has been stage 4 for the last 1 1/2 years and I have done everything since then.  All he has to do is focus on living!  We are truly partners in this battle as it affects our entire family. I commend you  and all other caregivers out there.

Jan, wife to Dirk

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

It just a way of indicating that I was heavily involved in looking after my
                        late wife from initial diagnosis to the moment that she lost her battle with
                        this horrible disease. I am an early retiree, so I had the time to attend
                        nearly all of her appointments and treatments with her.

Unfortunately, her oncologists couldn't offer her much in the way of
                        effective treatments and the cancer spread relentlessly throughout her body.
                        Therefore, I took over running of the household to give her the best chance
                        of reducing stress and maintaining some quality of life for as long as
                        possible. I also tried to help to cope with the side effects of surgery,
                        radiation treatment, chemo and a clinical trial.

Frank

jag
                      Participant

Frank, I read through your profile and can't figure out the meaning of former caregiver.  Care to elaborate?

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics