The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help, fast growing tumors, which B Raf?

Forums General Melanoma Community Help, fast growing tumors, which B Raf?

Participant

I am so sad I can barely write but I need help fast.  I grew 11 new tumors in eight weeks while on the IL2 including two new 3cm tumors in liver, many in pelvis, lung, back head, not brain…  They are now fast growng and I am deciding whether to try GSK2118436 trial study or Vemurafenib or do nothing. 

I am so sad I can barely write but I need help fast.  I grew 11 new tumors in eight weeks while on the IL2 including two new 3cm tumors in liver, many in pelvis, lung, back head, not brain…  They are now fast growng and I am deciding whether to try GSK2118436 trial study or Vemurafenib or do nothing. 

The Ipi and IL2 did not work for me.  I am signing a contract today for a new condo.  If I do any of these treatment options will I be able to be on my own.  I have many friends and family who will look in on me but how have the side effects been for any of you?

The trial study team was to call me for an answer yesterday and I still cannot decide what to do.

Has anyone been on GSK 2118436 trial?  How were your side effects, day to day living and did you respond?

Please write me back.

Gracie

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Gracie,

Are you sure that you received Yervoy and not the Placebo? Did you get Dr. Ken Grossman to unblind your therapy and tell you that you received Ipilimumab?

It looks to me that you may have gotten the placebo. Please verify!!

For the GSK trial you must be BRAF Positive. If you are BRAF +, you may want to look into  GSK BRAF + MEK trial.

Please let us know

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Gracie,

Are you sure that you received Yervoy and not the Placebo? Did you get Dr. Ken Grossman to unblind your therapy and tell you that you received Ipilimumab?

For the GSK trial you must be BRAF Positive. If you are BRAF +, you may want to look into  GSK BRAF + MEK trial.

Please let us know

Jimmy B

Gracie
              Participant

Jimmy,  Thank you listening.  I was unblinded the beginning of Sept. and I was receiving the ipi for a year. Mid Sept. I was introduced to IL2 for two rounds, 18 bags!!!  Tumors grew everywhere. 

Now I am offered the B Raf drugs. I always thought the B raf drugs ( which I am +) was the last tool in the shed for survival.  Now I have to decide on the two offered B Raf drugs.  I will ask doc about that combo you mentioned but I think he would have given me that option as well.  Maybe I will have to fly somewhere.

What would you suggest with the three options I have been offered.  The side affects of the trial drug seem very toxic but I want more time with my kids.  Please give me your opinion. Do you know where that combo is offered and why it would be advantageous for me?

Thanks JimmyB, you seem to be the hero for many.

Gracie

jim Breitfeller
                Participant

Gracie,

You are either missing Tumor-specific antigens, the right receptors, or  the "Danger Siganal"

Two major categories of melanoma metastases have been observed.

One subgroup of patient has an inflamed phenotype that includes expression of chemokines, T-cell markers, and other immunoregulatory factors. Clinical responders to melanoma vaccines appear to fall within this subset. This group also contains the highest expression of negative regulatory factors, including PD-L1, IDO, and FoxP3, suggesting that these immunosuppressive mechanisms may dominantly inhibit anti-tumor –cell function in those patients. In addition, absence of B7 expression supports classical T-cell anergy. Preclinical experiments have confirmed a critical role for these mechanisms in limiting anti-tumor T–cell efficacy in vivo, giving candidate treatment strategies for translation back into the clinic.

A second subset of patients is represented by tumors which are non-inflamed and lack chemokines for T cell recruitment. Therefore, a major barrier in these cases appears to be failed T –cell migration into tumor sites. Experimental strategies to augment T-cell migration can have important anti-tumor effects in preclinical models. The presence of the "inflamed" gene signature was associated with a type I IFN transcriptional profile, and murine experimental models have confirmed a critical role for type I IFN signaling in promoting adaptive immunity."

So,In the first subset, tumors had a suppresive nature that may be over riddden by Anti-CTLA-4 (Yervoy) and or Anti-PD-1 Therapy

The second subset was missing the "danger signal" inflammatory cytokines and chemoattractants most likely due to STAT3 signaling from the Tumor.

Stimulation of Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR-4) activates macrophages and results in the release of TNF-alpha. It is hypothesized that melanoma inhibits macrophage activation by suppressing TLR-4 signaling.

Now might be the time for a critical re-evaluation of our overall approaches to targeting STAT3 and for developing new models for disrupting the protein in order to accomplish the goal of delivering clinically useful direct STAT3 inhibitors as novel anticancer agents in a timely manner.

Gracie, you might want to ask you oncologist about  a STAT3 inhibitor with DTIC (alkylating agent) or radiation.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p2-pK7X4kHg/Trmoxvm_ShI/AAAAAAAAAms/kngAUN2Z-2c/s1600/STAT3%2Band%2Binflammation.jpg

If you can't get a STAT3 inhibitor, I would try to get the GSK Braf + MEK therapy first. This blocks two pathways that the Melanoma can take.

If not, then  GSK Braf or Vemurafenib (also known as PLX4032, RG7204 or RO5185426, marketed
                  as Zelboraf.) with a mTOR inhibitor.

You might want to do the BRAF GSK or Zelboraf as a mono-therapy as the last resort.

You are going to need to lower your Tumor burden.

Please let us know your path forward with your Oncologist.

Warm regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                  Participant

Gracie,

You are either missing Tumor-specific antigens, the right receptors, or  the "Danger Siganal"

One subgroup of patient has an inflamed phenotype that includes expression of chemokines, T-cell markers, and other immunoregulatory factors. Clinical responders to melanoma vaccines appear to fall within this subset. This group also contains the highest expression of negative regulatory factors, including PD-L1, IDO, and FoxP3, suggesting that these immunosuppressive mechanisms may dominantly inhibit anti-tumor –cell function in those patients. In addition, absence of B7 expression supports classical T-cell anergy. Preclinical experiments have confirmed a critical role for these mechanisms in limiting anti-tumor T–cell efficacy in vivo, giving candidate treatment strategies for translation back into the clinic.

A second subset of patients is represented by tumors which are non-inflamed and lack chemokines for T cell recruitment. Therefore, a major barrier in these cases appears to be failed T –cell migration into tumor sites. Experimental strategies to augment T-cell migration can have important anti-tumor effects in preclinical models. The presence of the "inflamed" gene signature was associated with a type I IFN transcriptional profile, and murine experimental models have confirmed a critical role for type I IFN signaling in promoting adaptive immunity."

So,In the first subset, tumors had a suppresive nature that may be over riddden by Anti-CTLA-4 (Yervoy) and or Anti-PD-1 Therapy

The second subset was missing the "danger signal" inflammatory cytokines and chemoattractants most likely due to STAT3 signaling from the Tumor.

Stimulation of Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR-4) activates macrophages and results in the release of TNF-alpha. It is hypothesized that melanoma inhibits macrophage activation by suppressing TLR-4 signaling.

Now might be the time for a critical re-evaluation of our overall approaches to targeting STAT3 and for developing new models for disrupting the protein in order to accomplish the goal of delivering clinically useful direct STAT3 inhibitors as novel anticancer agents in a timely manner.

Gracie, you might want to ask you oncologist about  a STAT3 inhibitor with DTIC (alkylating agent) or radiation.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-p2-pK7X4kHg/Trmoxvm_ShI/AAAAAAAAAms/kngAUN2Z-2c/s1600/STAT3%2Band%2Binflammation.jpg

If you can't get a STAT3 inhibitor, I would try to get the GSK Braf + MEK therapy first. This blocks two pathways that the Melanoma can take.

If not, then  GSK Braf or Vemurafenib (also known as PLX4032, RG7204 or RO5185426, marketed

You might want to do the BRAF GSK or Zelboraf as a mono-therapy as the last resort.

Warm regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                    Participant

Gracie,

Warm regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                      Participant

Do you know where that combo is offered and why it would be advantageous for me? BRAF + MEK

Gracie,

There is clinical data that suggests that by doing the BRAF + MEK, you can extend deasese free survival long than BRAF, as a Mono-Therapy.

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                        Participant

Do you know where that combo is offered and why it would be advantageous for me? BRAF + MEK

Gracie,

There is clinical data that suggests that by doing the BRAF + MEK, you can extend deasese free survival long than BRAF, as a Mono-Therapy.

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                          Participant

Gracie,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

Clinical Trial NCT01072175

Locations

United States, California
                              GSK Investigational Site Recruiting
                              Los Angeles, California, United States, 90025
                              Contact: US GSK Clinical Trials Call Center     877-379-3718     [email protected]    
                              Contact: EU GSK Clinical Trials Call Center     +44 (0) 20 8990 4466     [email protected]    
                              San Francisco, California, United States, 94115
                              Contact: US GSK Clinical Trials Call Center     877-379-3718     [email protected]    
                              Contact: EU GSK Clinical Trials Call Center     +44 (0) 20 8990 4466     [email protected]    
                              United States, Colorado
                              Aurora, Colorado, United States, 80045
                              United States, Connecticut
                              New Haven, Connecticut, United States, 06520
                              United States, Florida
                              Tampa, Florida, United States, 33612
                              United States, Maryland
                              Lutherville Timonium, Maryland, United States, 21093
                              United States, Massachusetts
                              Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02215
                              Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02115
                              Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02114
                              United States, Minnesota
                              GSK Investigational Site Active, not recruiting
                              Rochester, Minnesota, United States, 55905
                              United States, Pennsylvania
                              Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, 19104
                              United States, Tennessee
                              Nashville, Tennessee, United States, 37232
                              Nashville, Tennessee, United States, 37203
                              United States, Texas
                              Houston, Texas, United States, 77030-4009
                              Australia, New South Wales
                              Westmead, New South Wales, Australia, 2145
                              Australia, Victoria
                              Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia, 3084
                              jim Breitfeller
                              Participant

Locations

United States, Colorado
                                United States, Florida
                                United States, Maryland
                                United States, Minnesota
                                United States, Tennessee
                                United States, Texas
                                Australia, Victoria
                                jim Breitfeller
                                Participant

Locations

United States, Colorado
                                  United States, Florida
                                  United States, Maryland
                                  United States, Minnesota
                                  United States, Tennessee
                                  United States, Texas
                                  Australia, Victoria
                                  Gracie
                                  Participant

Jimmy,  Thank you listening.  I was unblinded the beginning of Sept. and I was receiving the ipi for a year. Mid Sept. I was introduced to IL2 for two rounds, 18 bags!!!  Tumors grew everywhere. 

Now I am offered the B Raf drugs. I always thought the B raf drugs ( which I am +) was the last tool in the shed for survival.  Now I have to decide on the two offered B Raf drugs.  I will ask doc about that combo you mentioned but I think he would have given me that option as well.  Maybe I will have to fly somewhere.

What would you suggest with the three options I have been offered.  The side affects of the trial drug seem very toxic but I want more time with my kids.  Please give me your opinion. Do you know where that combo is offered and why it would be advantageous for me?

Gracie

Gracie
                                    Participant

Gracie

jim Breitfeller
                                    Participant

Gracie,

Please let us know

Jimmy B

TracyLee
                                      Participant

Gracie,

How awful for you, I'm so sorry about your news.

I'm on BRAF, today is my 3 month anniversary. I've had very minor side effects: "floating" arthritis (comes and goes, mainly in my hands), new skin tags, ereythema nodusums (painful swollen lumps, they flare up and then go away after about 3 days, mine are mostly on legs/feet), thinning hair/lashes/brows.

I just saw ALL my docs today. My medical oncologist said if/when I quit responding to BRAF/Vemurafenib, he would want me to go with the MEK. But for now, since I'm a very strong responder, I'll stay on BRAF.

I got a very itchy/nasty rash 2 weeks into BRAF (BUT I responded within 2 days, we could see my neck swelling go down every day). They took me off BRAF for 1 week to allow the rash to calm down, then I started again at a lower dose.

Please don't give up hope. I will lift you in prayer. We all have our goals, I too want more time with my kids. I feel your pain and fear. Literally, 3 months ago, I thought I'd be dead by now. But I've responded, so you could too.

Praying for you and your family,

TracyLee Stage IV May 2011

TracyLee
                                        Participant

Gracie,

I'm on BRAF, today is my 3 month anniversary. I've had very minor side effects: "floating" arthritis (comes and goes, mainly in my hands), new skin tags, ereythema nodusums (painful swollen lumps, they flare up and then go away after about 3 days, mine are mostly on legs/feet), thinning hair/lashes/brows.

I just saw ALL my docs today. My medical oncologist said if/when I quit responding to BRAF/Vemurafenib, he would want me to go with the MEK. But for now, since I'm a very strong responder, I'll stay on BRAF.

I got a very itchy/nasty rash 2 weeks into BRAF (BUT I responded within 2 days, we could see my neck swelling go down every day). They took me off BRAF for 1 week to allow the rash to calm down, then I started again at a lower dose.

Please don't give up hope. I will lift you in prayer. We all have our goals, I too want more time with my kids. I feel your pain and fear. Literally, 3 months ago, I thought I'd be dead by now. But I've responded, so you could too.

TracyLee
                                          Participant

Gracie,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics