The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help!!! Do I Have Melanoma?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Help!!! Do I Have Melanoma?

Participant

Hi everyone, 

First, I would like to say that I have an appointment set with my GP this week. However, the more I read, the more I eat (aka anxiety).

Like two months ago a dark, relatively large, mark appeared on my elbow. It was inflamed and I wonder how and why would I get it. I quickly googled it and thought about Diabetes II but it doesnt look like any other patches on the internet. Plus my blood sugar (I've been doing Keto) seem stable two hours after a meal.

Recently, I started to look for answers again and stumble into Melanoma. It is a new word for me and honestly, I didn't even understand the severity of it. Here is when I enter panic mode. Why? Well, the mark has been there for two months, although, it doesn't hurt anymore, it has blended as part of me. It is not dry skin. It is just a big birthmark that just appeared out of nowhere. However, I also have a toenail with a black line that never goes away. It has been there for three years now and I have never thought anything of it until now. I have a new mole between my nose and eye, and a little-bruised dot under my arm that doesnt go away. To make matters worse for my paranoia, I have been coughing for the past month and lost my voice last week and I am now barely recovering it. 

<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YXIbOs6daXDVzS3DH_YXA7WQmziqww8p/preview&quot; width="640" height="480"></iframe>

Any thoughts or ideas? Should I be alarmed? I hope you can see the picture. I am not sure if I did it correctly. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
          mbrrna
          Participant

As everyone has said, it's hard to tell from a photo, but I personally would insist on seeing a dermatologist and getting a biopsy of the elbow. My mom's looked similar (from what I can see) and was misdiagnosed for two years as a bruise or blood blister. Better to be safe than sorry, but hopefully it's nothing.

MelanomaMike
          Participant
            Yep, your done, you have Melanoma…
            No, seriously you need to follow up & stay the course with your Dermatologist & whatever he recommends after that.. Our Crystal Balls arnt working properly right now so check back here in a few days till maintenance tends to them…Good luck JessS, either way keep us posted…
              JessS
              Participant

Im not sure if your sarcasm was just your normal funny personality or maybe because you felt like my post was inappropriate. I do apologize if I offended you in any way and for reaching out to the support group. I do suffer from anxiety and depression and just wanted to talk to someone unknown without freaking out those around me. Sorry for reaching out for help. 

bjeans
                Participant

Hi Jess – Mike is a forum encourager, carer, welcomer – and helps us smile or laugh, even when he’s going through really rough times himself. Unfortunately, we can’t see facial expressions or hear tone here, but you can take it to the bank his post was intended to make you feel better and to lighten your burden. (And Mike, if you’re reading, my apologies for acting as your unpaid spokeswoman.)

Jess, do see a dermatologist, and as Janner noted, if biopsies are part of the plan, insist on a punch biopsy or removal, not a shave biopsy. Those are easier for the doctor but harder on the patient. And if your GP poo poos your concerns, still see a dermatologist. 

I get the anxiety and depression. I have a good dose of that myself, though it’s my husband who’s the patient, not me. Sometimes taking action – like you’re doing – can help. Don’t read any more about melanoma on the internet – so much is outdated or whacky. Hang in there, and let us know how it goes. You’ve found the right place. Odds are you’ll be fine, though our imaginations can be our worst enemies, right?

Beth

smiller
                  Participant

Please know Mike meant no harm.  As the other post says–He is a great encourager and is always checking on people and only hoping for good things.

I know it is very difficult to not panic.  Know that this board is a great source and there are many that care!

Jim's wife

MelanomaMike
                    Participant
                      Good morning JessS, first off, im VERY sorry for starting off with you a bit on the rough side, your first sentence in yer reply discribes me to my core, & im truelly sorry for being so rough! (Unnecessary Roughness! 10 Yards, 2nd Down Mike!) I thought maybe my “last” portion of my paragraph to you of “encouragement” would have turned you around but im sorry it didnt..
                      Youll be ok with your current situation, just like i said before, stay diligent & see a Derm & do all he says, & check back here after with what their doing for you…
                      Truelly sorry JessS..ill take my 10 yard penalty seriously…
                    Janner
                    Participant

None of us can diagnose just from a description or a picture.  Your lesions could be totally fine.  See your GP, tell him/her things are new or have changed and you want to see a derm.  Ideally you will establish a regular schedule with a derm.  Specifically you are looking for an ugly duckling or new and odd or changing.  Even if something fits those descriptions, it doesn't mean it is melanoma, it means it is suspect and worthy of a closer look.  At this point, I wouldn't be worrying about a cough.  Not really a symptom even with advanced melanoma.   Nothing is melanoma until it is biopsied and diagnosed as melanoma.  So your best step is to see a derm.  A side note – many GPs and derms will do shave biopsies.  If something were to be melanoma, a shave biopsy could bisect the lesion.  Shave biopsies are not typically very deep.  Depth is an important prognostic factor with melanoma so a full thickness skin biopsy (punch, excision) tend to be preferred – at least by the warriors here.  It's easy to let your imagination run away, but it is unlikely that any of these lesions are melanoma.  However, it is still prudent to have them checked out.

A
                        Participant

Personally, your elbow spot does not look like melanoma to me. Having said that, you should go and see a dermatologist and not GP to figure out what it is. The black line under nail sounds more concerning to me that this spot. Could you post a picture of it? 

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics