The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hello Everybody!

Forums General Melanoma Community Hello Everybody!

Participant

(grrrrr FROM BACK IN THE DAY grrrr)

Just would like to let you know that my most recent MRI and chest x-rays make me 9years and 9months NED from Melanoma.  If you read my patnet you will see that I had 1 or 2 more craniotomies after 2008, but I still made it.  The last time I had actual melanoma tumors was March of 2008.  The next 2 surgeries were just necrosis from radiation that doesn't really count.  4 more months and I am officialy 10 yrs NED!

Life is good, God is good, I will say another prayer (the same one I say everytime I am in the MRI) that everybody getting treated for cancer is healed.

Love,

John

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Coragirl
        Participant

Yay! Congratulations  

Swanee
          Participant

Hey John!

Good news, thanks for sharing:)!!

Recently after being on this site, I thought to myself, nobody here anymore that use to post, either expired or healed and on another journey!  You were one of the stories I followed closely…when I check in always hoping a post from you…..Life IS good! 

I've been in the battle 7 years now, but have continued on a path of watch and wait with many surgeries! Currently, another spot lighting up in June scan, waiting, watching until January at which time I know I will choose more surgery unless something else indicates otherwise! 

I am enrolled in SCCA's TIL program, everything good to go, just need to sign on the dotted line!  I feel there is something different about me than others here, my progression has been much slower!  So still weighing it out as I continue to lead a good life,  full of living my dreams and reaching goals!  I read a post from you way back when I first joined MPIP that left an indelible mark on my journey and I think of you often when considering TIL!  I valued your expertise being a veterinarian and having a good scope on the medical field from a practical standpoint!  Although I started out in a panic and my doctors advising me I needed to act quickly, I have survived and slowed down my treatment approaches. For whatever reason, watching and waiting has served me well and I continue to do what I can from a naturopathic place, lots of flaxseed and oil. That's the one thing I found in common with long term survivors on this website!!

Thanks for posting, it meant alot to me tonight (in my journey) to see this post from you!  Life is good, so happy to hear you are doing well and NED! 

Happy THANKSGIVING…….Blessings to you and your family!

Swanee

Casitas1
              Participant

Swanee, just curious what type of melanoma did you have? Mine was slow growing as well.

Best, Paul

Swanee
                Participant

Hi Paul!  When I was first diagnosed, it was determined I had a unknown primary.  However, I had what I believe to be a nodular melanoma on my back that my GP called a blood blister.  It appeared on my back, grew quickly and then fell off, I recollect this happened in a 3-4 month time span and about 5-7 years prior to being diagnosed.  When grape size lumps (subcutaneous) started appearing, again my GP misdiagnosed as a dermatofibroma? as well as my dermotologist, diagnosing the same.  Not until I insisted I wanted it removed (growing and becoming painful) it was determined then I had stage IV melanoma cancer in 2010, at which time 2 more tumors were discovered in my breast.

Manfred
                  Participant

Hi Swanee, I am also stage IV and using SCCA.Would like to exchange some thought per e-mail or phone if you are interested.Pls. let me know.

Manfred

Swanee
                    Participant

Manfred,

I received your email and sent you a reply, not sure if it made it back through the mpip channel.Please feel free to email me and we can set something up! [email protected] 

Manfred
                      Participant

Thanks, Manfred

Linny
                      Participant

What wonderful news!!!! Congratulations!!!

I am only 3 years behind you. The end of this month will be 7 for me. 🙂

cancersnewnormal
                        Participant

CONGRATS! Ten years… holy wow! Your brain seemed pretty determined to take you down. I guess you showed it who the boss is. **insert arm pump here** HA! Congrats on the kiddo as well! Thanks for dropping in with such an encouraging update. : )

sister of patient
                          Participant

Hello Jag – This is a fabulous story, thank you so much for sharing. Congrats on your little boy and upcoming 10-year mark – may it be forever!!! Best wishes!

Barb

P.S. Love mobile vet services!!!

Fen
                            Participant

So happy to read your post!  Congrats on NED and Jedd.

Fen

Casitas1
                              Participant

Sweet!

Janner
                                Participant

Welcome back and congrats!!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics