The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hello all! Update on myself!

Forums General Melanoma Community Hello all! Update on myself!

Participant

Hello everyone. It's been a good minute since I've posted anything on here so I thought I would update you on what's  been going on with me. Well, I wasn't really a responder to IL-2 so I started Yervoy in June. I'm the first person to receive it in San Antonio so they're watching me very carefully. I'll be getting my third infusion tomorrow morning. So far, so good. I haven't had any crazy symptoms, just the rash, but that is managable. It comes and goes.

Hello everyone. It's been a good minute since I've posted anything on here so I thought I would update you on what's  been going on with me. Well, I wasn't really a responder to IL-2 so I started Yervoy in June. I'm the first person to receive it in San Antonio so they're watching me very carefully. I'll be getting my third infusion tomorrow morning. So far, so good. I haven't had any crazy symptoms, just the rash, but that is managable. It comes and goes. I was wondering for the people that were on Yervoy before and responded, about how long did it take to see results? I have no visible melanoma on my skin so I'm not able to monitor my progress. I only have one visible tumor and that's my lymp node right about my left clavicle. I honestly can't tell if it's the same or shrinking. It definately feels a little softer than before but I'm not sure if it's getting smaller. I've been lurking the board and seeing some others are on Yervoy, too. Best of luck to all you guys, y'all are def in my prayers everyday. 

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        ValinMtl
        Participant

Hi Chet, I've been wondering how you and Kevin (as in 'my name is') are doing.  So disappointed to learn that IL-2 was the magic bullet.  I did yervoy in Montreal, I actually responded very quickly although I never did have a rash.  Having a rash is suposed to be a good thing..are you taking 10 or 3 mg dosage?  I was on the 3 mg.  My melanoma at that time was cutaneous so I could actually see the response and it was after the first treatment.  It worked miracles for those first 4 treatments with my cutaneous mel.. Alas, mel took on another form and became sub-qs and metasticized to lymph node in left groin, so had to look for another treatment after 2 more treatments 3 months later.

I would check out Donna in VT and Jerry in Cape Cod profiles.  They have had miraculous responses.  All the best, Val

Becky
            Participant

Thanks for checking in. I also have been wondering about you and Kevin. I have 3 sons, my 23 yr old middle son with melanoma, so I have a soft spot for the young guys here. Hoping that Yervoy does its magic for you!

Becky

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Hi Chet,

I am hoping that you are also a complete responder to Yervoy like I was. Please look at my profile for the time fram on my side effects and response (it was almost immediate and dramatic, but things got bigger before smaller and I did grow new melanomas for part of the treatment but then that stopped). I dont remember the specifics anymore as it has been 8  onths since I started treatment. Right now I am NED and going back to work, so I am happy!

Look for any yervoy or Ipi posts from me, or look at my profile……under Vermont_Donna.

Best of success to you with yervoy!!

Vermont_Donna, syage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Hi Chet,

I am hoping that you are also a complete responder to Yervoy like I was. Please look at my profile for the time fram on my side effects and response (it was almost immediate and dramatic, but things got bigger before smaller and I did grow new melanomas for part of the treatment but then that stopped). I dont remember the specifics anymore as it has been 8  onths since I started treatment. Right now I am NED and going back to work, so I am happy!

Look for any yervoy or Ipi posts from me, or look at my profile……under Vermont_Donna.

Best of success to you with yervoy!!

Vermont_Donna, syage 3a, NED

Becky
                  Participant

Thanks for checking in. I also have been wondering about you and Kevin. I have 3 sons, my 23 yr old middle son with melanoma, so I have a soft spot for the young guys here. Hoping that Yervoy does its magic for you!

Becky

chet
                    Participant

I'm on the 3mg dosage. Just had my third infusion this morning. So far, so good. I'm praying that I'm a responder to this! Wishing you all the best.

chet
                      Participant

I'm on the 3mg dosage. Just had my third infusion this morning. So far, so good. I'm praying that I'm a responder to this! Wishing you all the best.

ValinMtl
                      Participant

Hi Chet, I've been wondering how you and Kevin (as in 'my name is') are doing.  So disappointed to learn that IL-2 was the magic bullet.  I did yervoy in Montreal, I actually responded very quickly although I never did have a rash.  Having a rash is suposed to be a good thing..are you taking 10 or 3 mg dosage?  I was on the 3 mg.  My melanoma at that time was cutaneous so I could actually see the response and it was after the first treatment.  It worked miracles for those first 4 treatments with my cutaneous mel.. Alas, mel took on another form and became sub-qs and metasticized to lymph node in left groin, so had to look for another treatment after 2 more treatments 3 months later.

I would check out Donna in VT and Jerry in Cape Cod profiles.  They have had miraculous responses.  All the best, Val

Phil S
                        Participant
                          Good to see your post, we have been wondering how you did with IL2, sorry it didn’t work for you. Best of luck with yervoy, we hope you are a responder. You have a great attitude, so fight on! God bless, Valerie (phil’s wife)
                          Phil S
                          Participant
                            Good to see your post, we have been wondering how you did with IL2, sorry it didn’t work for you. Best of luck with yervoy, we hope you are a responder. You have a great attitude, so fight on! God bless, Valerie (phil’s wife)
                            carol b
                            Participant

Hey there Chet!!!! ive been wandering how you have been doing with the IL2 treatments. I am so sorry that you were not a responder. I don't know much about Yervoy except that will be my next kind of treatment if my IL2 does not keep mel at bay. Since my 3rd round of IL2 it has completely gotten rid of the 6 in my right clavicle..Which i thought was 3,, my Onc keeps me on a need to know basis which i dont like. I have a small 3mm tumor come up on my 6th rib and a 5mm on my 9th rib. IL2 does keep shrinking my large tumor under my arm but in between each treatment it grows back larger and more aggressive. Now i have small tumors growing on the outside of the skin where that tumor is. So my next step is surgery to remove as much of the tumor as they can and hit me with IL2 again to see if it works and if not they want to change treatments.Its time for my PT but cant get it cause they feel its more important to get the surgery first so that will be put off for another month or so,, I would really like to know if it got rid of the ones on my ribs but i will play the waiting game.The surgeon said he didnt think it would make me live any longer if they take it out but to do it to relieve the pain. But im just going on with myself.. I hope and pray the Yervoy works for you. Im sorry i dont have any answers for you or any advice. But i am so happy to see your post as ive been looking for you on here and wandering how you have been. Best of luck with Yervoy. I pray its your magic bullet., and you become Ned with it. Keep us updated as often as you can. My prayers and thoughts are with you always.. Good luck my friend.

Carol B

chet
                                Participant

Hi Carol! I'm okay with IL-2 not working for me. Well not really, lol, but I know it wasn't all done in vain. My doc was telling me how even though I wasn't a complete responder, it reved up my immune system for the Yervoy. She also mentioned that IL-2 can stay in your system and start working almost a year later, so that made me happy. Praying for you and others everyday!!! Best of luck and I know we will all beat the beast.

chet
                                  Participant

Hi Carol! I'm okay with IL-2 not working for me. Well not really, lol, but I know it wasn't all done in vain. My doc was telling me how even though I wasn't a complete responder, it reved up my immune system for the Yervoy. She also mentioned that IL-2 can stay in your system and start working almost a year later, so that made me happy. Praying for you and others everyday!!! Best of luck and I know we will all beat the beast.

carol b
                                  Participant

Hey there Chet!!!! ive been wandering how you have been doing with the IL2 treatments. I am so sorry that you were not a responder. I don't know much about Yervoy except that will be my next kind of treatment if my IL2 does not keep mel at bay. Since my 3rd round of IL2 it has completely gotten rid of the 6 in my right clavicle..Which i thought was 3,, my Onc keeps me on a need to know basis which i dont like. I have a small 3mm tumor come up on my 6th rib and a 5mm on my 9th rib. IL2 does keep shrinking my large tumor under my arm but in between each treatment it grows back larger and more aggressive. Now i have small tumors growing on the outside of the skin where that tumor is. So my next step is surgery to remove as much of the tumor as they can and hit me with IL2 again to see if it works and if not they want to change treatments.Its time for my PT but cant get it cause they feel its more important to get the surgery first so that will be put off for another month or so,, I would really like to know if it got rid of the ones on my ribs but i will play the waiting game.The surgeon said he didnt think it would make me live any longer if they take it out but to do it to relieve the pain. But im just going on with myself.. I hope and pray the Yervoy works for you. Im sorry i dont have any answers for you or any advice. But i am so happy to see your post as ive been looking for you on here and wandering how you have been. Best of luck with Yervoy. I pray its your magic bullet., and you become Ned with it. Keep us updated as often as you can. My prayers and thoughts are with you always.. Good luck my friend.

Carol B

TracyLee
                                    Participant

Chet,

We lived in San Antonio for five years, so nice to hear from someone back home!

I'm the first in Delaware to receive Yervoy, it's currently debatable if I'm responding (see my "Horrid News" post). I will know more tomorrow.

We are in it to win it, I know you will have a great response to Yervoy!

It is 91 but feels like 105 here, so it feels just like San Antonio here.

Best of luck, prayers for you and everyone else.

TracyLee

chet
                                        Participant

How nice to see someone else from San Antonio:) It's insanely hot and humid, but what's new? lol.  I'm sorry to hear the news you just posted. I pray that it's just the Yervoy making it worse before it gets better. It will get better. Seems like we're both the first in our areas to receive Yervoy. Here's to being NED for the both of us and everyone else! 

chet
                                          Participant

How nice to see someone else from San Antonio:) It's insanely hot and humid, but what's new? lol.  I'm sorry to hear the news you just posted. I pray that it's just the Yervoy making it worse before it gets better. It will get better. Seems like we're both the first in our areas to receive Yervoy. Here's to being NED for the both of us and everyone else! 

TracyLee
                                          Participant

Chet,

We lived in San Antonio for five years, so nice to hear from someone back home!

I'm the first in Delaware to receive Yervoy, it's currently debatable if I'm responding (see my "Horrid News" post). I will know more tomorrow.

We are in it to win it, I know you will have a great response to Yervoy!

It is 91 but feels like 105 here, so it feels just like San Antonio here.

Best of luck, prayers for you and everyone else.

TracyLee

lhaley
                                            Participant

Chet,

I've also been wondering how you are doing.  I hope that the rash means you are a responder.  You sound optimstic which is a good thing.

Thanks for letting us know how you are.  We worry about you young guys. Many of us have sons your age.

Linda

Stage IV for 5 years

NED 6 weeks

arnie and sherry
                                                Participant

hi chat,we live in san antonio its my understading that you do to , my husband also has melanoma, we are trying to find a good melanoma , love to hear from you!!!

arnie and sherry
                                                  Participant

sorry forgot to write we are looking for melanoma doc 

chet
                                                    Participant

I see Dr. Yuhoe Gia Dice at South Texas Cancer Care Center off Medical. She's great and really gets things done. They weren't going to give me Yervoy but she fought for me and got it. You should consider setting up an appointment with her. Best of luck!

chet
                                                      Participant

I see Dr. Yuhoe Gia Dice at South Texas Cancer Care Center off Medical. She's great and really gets things done. They weren't going to give me Yervoy but she fought for me and got it. You should consider setting up an appointment with her. Best of luck!

arnie and sherry
                                                        Participant

sorry forgot to write we are looking for melanoma doc 

arnie and sherry
                                                          Participant

hi chat,we live in san antonio its my understading that you do to , my husband also has melanoma, we are trying to find a good melanoma , love to hear from you!!!

chet
                                                            Participant

Hi Linda. Thanks for your concern and warm thoughts. Congrats on being NED! Hoping to join you and others soon. All I can do is hope, pray, and have faith at this point. 

chet
                                                              Participant

Hi Linda. Thanks for your concern and warm thoughts. Congrats on being NED! Hoping to join you and others soon. All I can do is hope, pray, and have faith at this point. 

lhaley
                                                              Participant

Chet,

I've also been wondering how you are doing.  I hope that the rash means you are a responder.  You sound optimstic which is a good thing.

Thanks for letting us know how you are.  We worry about you young guys. Many of us have sons your age.

Linda

Stage IV for 5 years

NED 6 weeks

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics