The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Health Insurance and Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Health Insurance and Melanoma

Participant

Hi everyone.  My husband and I have had BCBS (self-pay) insurance for years.  He was orginally diagnosed with melanoma in 2007 with a recurrance in 2010 and is currently NED.  BCBS has now priced us out.  We cannot afford the $1200/month payment any longer.  I have been told by various people that if we lose our current coverage, we will not be able to get future coverage or that no other insurance company will take us with his previous melanoma diagnosis.  Does anyone know if this is infact true or if we have any other options at all.

Hi everyone.  My husband and I have had BCBS (self-pay) insurance for years.  He was orginally diagnosed with melanoma in 2007 with a recurrance in 2010 and is currently NED.  BCBS has now priced us out.  We cannot afford the $1200/month payment any longer.  I have been told by various people that if we lose our current coverage, we will not be able to get future coverage or that no other insurance company will take us with his previous melanoma diagnosis.  Does anyone know if this is infact true or if we have any other options at all.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

All the best,

Tracy

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        joy_
        Participant

oops.. not that it make a difference but original diag. was 2008.  

bradcope1
            Participant

Tracy,

The new health care law may offer some help (and hope). It has allowed me to put my 24 year old daughter (Stage 3) back on my policy and has some provisions for pre-existing conditions. I have no idea if it might be more affordable than what you currently have or not. Check out this link.

https://www.pcip.gov/Default.html

Good luck!!

Brad

bradcope1
              Participant

Tracy,

The new health care law may offer some help (and hope). It has allowed me to put my 24 year old daughter (Stage 3) back on my policy and has some provisions for pre-existing conditions. I have no idea if it might be more affordable than what you currently have or not. Check out this link.

Good luck!!

Brad

bradcope1
                Participant

Tracy,

Good luck!!

Brad

joy_
                Participant

joy_
                  Participant

Janner
                    Participant

Not sure but I don't think the new health care (no pre-existing conditions for adults) goes into effect until 2014.  Realistically, the only way you will get coverage is through a group policy that can't deny you coverage.  Also, you need to have continuous coverage with a break no longer than 63 days before you start the new insurance.  (This is also subject to change with the new laws but I'm not sure when).  Do you or your husband belong to any professional organizations?  Can you join one?  That might be one avenue where you could get group coverage.  Your state might also have a high risk health pool, but the prices tend to be high for that as well.  Maybe you can find an insurance broker to help you, but going from private to group is going to be your best bet if you can do that.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

Not sure but I don't think the new health care (no pre-existing conditions for adults) goes into effect until 2014.  Realistically, the only way you will get coverage is through a group policy that can't deny you coverage.  Also, you need to have continuous coverage with a break no longer than 63 days before you start the new insurance.  (This is also subject to change with the new laws but I'm not sure when).  Do you or your husband belong to any professional organizations?  Can you join one?  That might be one avenue where you could get group coverage.  Your state might also have a high risk health pool, but the prices tend to be high for that as well.  Maybe you can find an insurance broker to help you, but going from private to group is going to be your best bet if you can do that.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                        Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

lhaley
                          Participant

I know that medical expenses can just put you into bankrupt.  Somehow paying the expensive premiums just might save you in the future.   In the last 6 weeks we've already seen approx $70,000 go through my insurance companies billing.  I was NED (or so I thought) Oct 3rd and has been off and on NED for the past 5 years. 

Linda

lhaley
                            Participant

I know that medical expenses can just put you into bankrupt.  Somehow paying the expensive premiums just might save you in the future.   In the last 6 weeks we've already seen approx $70,000 go through my insurance companies billing.  I was NED (or so I thought) Oct 3rd and has been off and on NED for the past 5 years. 

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Linda

joy_
                                  Participant

Thanks, Linda.  Yes, that is very true and something we are concerned about.

joy_
                                    Participant

joy_
                                      Participant

LynnLuc
                                      Participant

Is he still working? Maybe he needs to apply for SSDI and get Medicaid/Medicare. From what I have heard they pay better than the insurances. Realistically if he isn't working I would think its hard to pay that kind of insurance…and then when he gets sick and can't work…then he loses it completely.  It takes 5 or 6 months in some places to get SSDI  if he is stage 4.

LynnLuc
                                        Participant

Is he still working? Maybe he needs to apply for SSDI and get Medicaid/Medicare. From what I have heard they pay better than the insurances. Realistically if he isn't working I would think its hard to pay that kind of insurance…and then when he gets sick and can't work…then he loses it completely.  It takes 5 or 6 months in some places to get SSDI  if he is stage 4.

lhaley
                                            Participant

Medicare takes 2 years after receiving once SSDI to start.  Medicaid is different.

lhaley
                                              Participant

Medicare takes 2 years after receiving once SSDI to start.  Medicaid is different.

lhaley
                                                Participant

LynnLuc
                                                Participant

DonW
                                                  Participant

Tracy — Not sure what this "pricing you out" is about. Usually any policy either accepts you or not, but the price is set. Have you questioned this price jack? I've never heard of such a thing.

DonW
                                                    Participant

Tracy — Not sure what this "pricing you out" is about. Usually any policy either accepts you or not, but the price is set. Have you questioned this price jack? I've never heard of such a thing.

joy_
                                                        Participant

I just mean that our premium has gone up so much over the past five years that we cannot afford it anymore.  Started out at $485 a month and now nearly $1300/month.  

joy_
                                                          Participant

I just mean that our premium has gone up so much over the past five years that we cannot afford it anymore.  Started out at $485 a month and now nearly $1300/month.  

joy_
                                                            Participant

Thanks to everyone who responded.  Looks like we need to get more creative and see if we can come up with a way to hang on it a little longer.  I was able to find a more affordable plan but you have to be at least 5 years NED to qualify. 

Tracy

joy_
                                                              Participant

Thanks to everyone who responded.  Looks like we need to get more creative and see if we can come up with a way to hang on it a little longer.  I was able to find a more affordable plan but you have to be at least 5 years NED to qualify. 

Tracy

joy_
                                                                Participant

Tracy

joy_
                                                                  Participant

DonW
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics