The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Heading for MDA tomorrow for IPI

Forums General Melanoma Community Heading for MDA tomorrow for IPI

Participant

Finally I am going to MDA tomorrow for my first treatment.  Anxious as usual.  We are having issues with Blue Cross approving the standard care associated with IPI/Temodar.  They approved the Temodar, however, the doc office visits, scans, bloodwork, infusion have not been approved as of yet.  The total for the year is $128,300.  My husband and I pay $2000 a month for health insurance and it is the cadillac plan.  My deductible is $2500!!  The people at MDA have been great working with us trying to get around the insurance issues.  Dr.

Finally I am going to MDA tomorrow for my first treatment.  Anxious as usual.  We are having issues with Blue Cross approving the standard care associated with IPI/Temodar.  They approved the Temodar, however, the doc office visits, scans, bloodwork, infusion have not been approved as of yet.  The total for the year is $128,300.  My husband and I pay $2000 a month for health insurance and it is the cadillac plan.  My deductible is $2500!!  The people at MDA have been great working with us trying to get around the insurance issues.  Dr. Hwu has appealed but no word yet.  Their suggestion was to have all of my pre screening tests requested by my primary onc at Emory, which I did last week.  Just waiting for the results!!!!!  

Glad to get back on the road with this and look forward to keeping up with everyone on this trial.

Sue

Hotlanta

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Just what you need when you're already stressed – insurance problems!  Hope all the insurance problems disappear and that ipi does the trick.

Fen
          Participant

Just what you need when you're already stressed – insurance problems!  Hope all the insurance problems disappear and that ipi does the trick.

lhaley
            Participant

Sue,

Since this is a trial why are you paying for the temador?  I know that usually you have to pay for the associated tests but not sure of the drug part.

I got a letter recently from BCBS (of Delaware) stating that all scans of any type must now be preapproved. Had to have a PET last week due to latest recurrance. When they called for pre-approval the nurse was told that since it wasn't being done in Delaware it didn't need to be pre-approved. Made no sense to me!!!  I called and double checked and got the same story. Then they do the normal telling me that there is no guarantee that this will be paid until bill is submitted.  Gotta love BCBS!!!!  In December they paid for an mri but are refusing to pay for the radiologist to read it!!  That one is under appeal. hmmmmmm

Good luck getting the insurance issues done.  This trial sounds so hopeful!!

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

Sue,

Since this is a trial why are you paying for the temador?  I know that usually you have to pay for the associated tests but not sure of the drug part.

I got a letter recently from BCBS (of Delaware) stating that all scans of any type must now be preapproved. Had to have a PET last week due to latest recurrance. When they called for pre-approval the nurse was told that since it wasn't being done in Delaware it didn't need to be pre-approved. Made no sense to me!!!  I called and double checked and got the same story. Then they do the normal telling me that there is no guarantee that this will be paid until bill is submitted.  Gotta love BCBS!!!!  In December they paid for an mri but are refusing to pay for the radiologist to read it!!  That one is under appeal. hmmmmmm

Good luck getting the insurance issues done.  This trial sounds so hopeful!!

Linda

Jim in Denver
                Participant

Hi Sue,

Best wishes with starting the trial!  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  Sounds like the insurance issues have persisted, but hopefully resolved soon.  Answering the question about paying for Temador – since it is FDA approved, it has to be paid for by insurance and/or the patient.  There is no charge for the Ipi since it is being studied by BMY.

Regeards,

Jim

Jim in Denver
                  Participant

Hi Sue,

Best wishes with starting the trial!  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  Sounds like the insurance issues have persisted, but hopefully resolved soon.  Answering the question about paying for Temador – since it is FDA approved, it has to be paid for by insurance and/or the patient.  There is no charge for the Ipi since it is being studied by BMY.

Regeards,

Jim

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics