The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hair Loss and Interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community Hair Loss and Interferon

Participant

Hey everyone, I am about 5 weeks into my low dosage interferon injections and I am really starting to notice a lot of my hair coming out daily. Did anyone else have this problem, or anything similar?
      Any stories or advice related to hairloss would be greatly appreciated.
      I know I should just be thankful that the treatment is working, but its hard to see so much hair come out every day.

Hey everyone, I am about 5 weeks into my low dosage interferon injections and I am really starting to notice a lot of my hair coming out daily. Did anyone else have this problem, or anything similar?
      Any stories or advice related to hairloss would be greatly appreciated.
      I know I should just be thankful that the treatment is working, but its hard to see so much hair come out every day.

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        akls
        Participant

Hi.

Not everyone experiences hair loss, but I did.  It got so thin that I ended up cutting it into a pixie cut and just living with it.  It does come back, but it takes a while after completing the year.  You might also want to get your thyroid levels checked.  I developed a nodule while on interferon and am now on synthroid because I was hypothyroid which can also cause hair loss.  Good luck and hang in there.  It gets better.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
          Participant

Hi.

Not everyone experiences hair loss, but I did.  It got so thin that I ended up cutting it into a pixie cut and just living with it.  It does come back, but it takes a while after completing the year.  You might also want to get your thyroid levels checked.  I developed a nodule while on interferon and am now on synthroid because I was hypothyroid which can also cause hair loss.  Good luck and hang in there.  It gets better.

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
            Participant

Hi.

Amy S. in Michigan

[email protected]
              Participant

I did the year of Interferon from Aug, 2002 thru Jul, 2003. I also had significant hair loss during the first few months. Luckily my hair is VERY thick so people who didn't know me couldn't tell how much it was thinning. At the time, I got a product called Nioxin from the salon I used. Each bottle of shampoo and conditioner was @ $20 but I seemed to stop losing or it at least slowed down. I never lost all my hair. I just kept going shorter and it never was that noticable. Oddly my eyelashes grew like mad! I had to have them trimmed more than once that year. I said I could do a "comb over" with my eyelashes if I lost all my hair! Once I was off Interferon, my hair grew back just as thick as before and almost curly which it was NOT before.

On a positive note, I've been NED since. I was originally dx at stage 3 in Jun, 2002 with one lymph node with micromets. I was one of the lucky ones where the year of Interferon was tolerable. I continued to work @ 30 hours and keep up with my kids who were 8 &6 at the time. I was nauseous a lot and seemed to have a headache for a year. 

Good luck! Take care!

Cara Tindell

[email protected]
                Participant

I did the year of Interferon from Aug, 2002 thru Jul, 2003. I also had significant hair loss during the first few months. Luckily my hair is VERY thick so people who didn't know me couldn't tell how much it was thinning. At the time, I got a product called Nioxin from the salon I used. Each bottle of shampoo and conditioner was @ $20 but I seemed to stop losing or it at least slowed down. I never lost all my hair. I just kept going shorter and it never was that noticable. Oddly my eyelashes grew like mad! I had to have them trimmed more than once that year. I said I could do a "comb over" with my eyelashes if I lost all my hair! Once I was off Interferon, my hair grew back just as thick as before and almost curly which it was NOT before.

On a positive note, I've been NED since. I was originally dx at stage 3 in Jun, 2002 with one lymph node with micromets. I was one of the lucky ones where the year of Interferon was tolerable. I continued to work @ 30 hours and keep up with my kids who were 8 &6 at the time. I was nauseous a lot and seemed to have a headache for a year. 

Good luck! Take care!

Cara Tindell

[email protected]
                  Participant

Good luck! Take care!

Cara Tindell

Linny
                    Participant

I've seen a product called Nioxin for sale in the shop at Kimmel Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins. It's a hair care product for thinning hair. it might be worth looking into. Here's their web site:

http://nioxin.com/en-US/home-page.aspx

Linny
                      Participant

I've seen a product called Nioxin for sale in the shop at Kimmel Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins. It's a hair care product for thinning hair. it might be worth looking into. Here's their web site:

Linny
                        Participant

jatbrown
                          Participant

I am on the Interferon self injections, MWF and I have 11 more shots to go…..I have hair loss, but mostly my front.  It appears there is growth as well, but about 2-3 mths ago it really was coming out, has slowed down some now.  I am so greatful for Interferon, but have mixed emotions about stopping….my doctors say I am not going to believe how great I am going to feel when I am done.  I am looking forward to that, for sure, but part of me is nervous to stop.   Has anyone else felt that way who has completed this year of Interferon…….

jatbrown
                            Participant

I am on the Interferon self injections, MWF and I have 11 more shots to go…..I have hair loss, but mostly my front.  It appears there is growth as well, but about 2-3 mths ago it really was coming out, has slowed down some now.  I am so greatful for Interferon, but have mixed emotions about stopping….my doctors say I am not going to believe how great I am going to feel when I am done.  I am looking forward to that, for sure, but part of me is nervous to stop.   Has anyone else felt that way who has completed this year of Interferon…….

jatbrown
                              Participant

Julie in SoCal
                                Participant

Hi!

I did the high dose Interferon and the majority of my hair fell out.    I was really bummed when it did, but quite happy with it when it came back thick and curly!  Unfortunately the curls lasted only a year, but I sure enjoyed them while I had them.

Blessings,

Julie

dx 3a 2008 WLE (twice) SNB, LND, HD INF, GMCSF

Julie in SoCal
                                  Participant

Hi!

I did the high dose Interferon and the majority of my hair fell out.    I was really bummed when it did, but quite happy with it when it came back thick and curly!  Unfortunately the curls lasted only a year, but I sure enjoyed them while I had them.

Blessings,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                                    Participant

Hi!

Blessings,

Julie

triciad
                                      Participant

Hi Emma,

I had an really thick head of long hair, and I lost about 2/3 while doing Interferon.  It was somewhat of a blessing because I would never have had the energy to blow it out while on the medicine.  It made it so much easier, and it wasn't really noticeable unless you felt it.  It came back quickly, and now, two years later, it's totally back!  Good luck to you!

Tricia

triciad
                                        Participant

Hi Emma,

I had an really thick head of long hair, and I lost about 2/3 while doing Interferon.  It was somewhat of a blessing because I would never have had the energy to blow it out while on the medicine.  It made it so much easier, and it wasn't really noticeable unless you felt it.  It came back quickly, and now, two years later, it's totally back!  Good luck to you!

Tricia

triciad
                                          Participant

Hi Emma,

Tricia

jamescarter
                                            Participant

I think the best way to look at it is that if we have a tendency to male-type beard growth, there's a probability, but not by any means a certainty, that we're more likely to have a tendency towards male-type balding patterns too. However, that doesn't mean it's a waste of effort trying to slow that down by ensuring we're not suffering from Vitamin D deficiency etc. Lavender and Rosemary are both natural oils which at a surface level counter testosterone concentrations in the scalp — they have a slight estrogenic effect which counters our high levels of testosterone in the scalp.

jamescarter
                                              Participant

I think the best way to look at it is that if we have a tendency to male-type beard growth, there's a probability, but not by any means a certainty, that we're more likely to have a tendency towards male-type balding patterns too. However, that doesn't mean it's a waste of effort trying to slow that down by ensuring we're not suffering from Vitamin D deficiency etc. Lavender and Rosemary are both natural oils which at a surface level counter testosterone concentrations in the scalp — they have a slight estrogenic effect which counters our high levels of testosterone in the scalp.

jamescarter
                                                Participant

jamescarter
                                                  Participant

dci and niacin are saving me. Down only a bit in weight but tons more energy, better skin and hair. And I am taking biotin too. so there has been more other hair too. But I am used to Jakie removal, I'd have too much than too little.

herbal remedyherbal medicinal

jamescarter
                                                    Participant

dci and niacin are saving me. Down only a bit in weight but tons more energy, better skin and hair. And I am taking biotin too. so there has been more other hair too. But I am used to Jakie removal, I'd have too much than too little.

jamescarter
                                                      Participant

MikeWI
                                                        Participant

I finished Interferon in September.  A lot of my hair fell out, what remained turned white.  I lost about a third of my weight.

Since being done, I have put some of the wieght back on and My hair has recovered in it original color.

The hard part for me was being finished.  It was very hard for me to transition from actively doing something about my disease to doing nothing.  The fear of the disease coming back still haunts me.  It was hard but good news about scans have helped.

MikeWI

stage 2c, currently NED

MikeWI
                                                          Participant

I finished Interferon in September.  A lot of my hair fell out, what remained turned white.  I lost about a third of my weight.

Since being done, I have put some of the wieght back on and My hair has recovered in it original color.

The hard part for me was being finished.  It was very hard for me to transition from actively doing something about my disease to doing nothing.  The fear of the disease coming back still haunts me.  It was hard but good news about scans have helped.

MikeWI

stage 2c, currently NED

MikeWI
                                                            Participant

MikeWI

stage 2c, currently NED

mp_seattle
                                                              Participant

I've been on interferon for 7 months and experienced serious hair loss during months 3 and 4. I had shoulder length hair and decided to get it cut real short so that I wouldn't stress out about it. It worked. I stopped worrying and eventually, the hair loss stopped.

good luck!

mp_seattle
                                                                Participant

I've been on interferon for 7 months and experienced serious hair loss during months 3 and 4. I had shoulder length hair and decided to get it cut real short so that I wouldn't stress out about it. It worked. I stopped worrying and eventually, the hair loss stopped.

good luck!

mp_seattle
                                                                  Participant

good luck!

wwayne
                                                                    Participant

Hi, I completely understand the problem that you are facing happened because of several reasons like strong medication, drugs, stress, depression, etc. Also because of strong doses of medicines consumption, hair becomes thin and starts falling. To cure this problem, you should include protein in your diet that helps you to improve your hair growth; you can also try some protein rich juices or herbal shampoos that would be going to help you a lot. If you are facing this problem from a long time, you should immediately try some important remedial measures. One of my aunt months ago was reading an article hairsurgeries.com/hair-loss that helps her a lot in curing such problems.

If you found its useful and interesting, you can also try this : hairsurgeries.com/hair-thinning

wwayne
                                                                      Participant

Hi, I completely understand the problem that you are facing happened because of several reasons like strong medication, drugs, stress, depression, etc. Also because of strong doses of medicines consumption, hair becomes thin and starts falling. To cure this problem, you should include protein in your diet that helps you to improve your hair growth; you can also try some protein rich juices or herbal shampoos that would be going to help you a lot. If you are facing this problem from a long time, you should immediately try some important remedial measures. One of my aunt months ago was reading an article hairsurgeries.com/hair-loss that helps her a lot in curing such problems.

If you found its useful and interesting, you can also try this : hairsurgeries.com/hair-thinning

wwayne
                                                                        Participant

wwayne
                                                                          Participant

Hi, I completely understand the problem that you are facing happened because of several reasons like strong medication, drugs, stress, depression, etc. Also because of strong doses of medicines consumption, hair becomes thin and starts falling. To cure this problem, you should include protein in your diet that helps you to improve your hair growth; you can also try some protein rich juices or herbal shampoos that would be going to help you a lot. If you are facing this problem from a long time, you should immediately try some important remedial measures. One of my aunt months ago was reading an article hairsurgeries.com/hair-loss that helps her a lot in curing such problems. If you found its useful and interesting, you can also try this : hairsurgeries.com/hair-thinning

wwayne
                                                                            Participant

Hi, I completely understand the problem that you are facing happened because of several reasons like strong medication, drugs, stress, depression, etc. Also because of strong doses of medicines consumption, hair becomes thin and starts falling. To cure this problem, you should include protein in your diet that helps you to improve your hair growth; you can also try some protein rich juices or herbal shampoos that would be going to help you a lot. If you are facing this problem from a long time, you should immediately try some important remedial measures. One of my aunt months ago was reading an article hairsurgeries.com/hair-loss that helps her a lot in curing such problems. If you found its useful and interesting, you can also try this : hairsurgeries.com/hair-thinning

wwayne
                                                                              Participant

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics