The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Had surgery to remove malenoma can treatment stop there?

Forums General Melanoma Community Had surgery to remove malenoma can treatment stop there?

Participant

I was dianosed with melanoma on August 23 and had surgery to remove the surrounding tissue the next day.  The test came back clear on this mole.  It seems strange to me that treatment can stop here.  How do I know that there are not other moles that are melanoma?  Should I be pushing for other tests or does this seem normal to just remove the tissue and be done.  No blood test, nothing?  I am happy that they are saying my treatment is done but concerned after reading all the post on this site where there were other spots undetected.  Or that it had spead t

I was dianosed with melanoma on August 23 and had surgery to remove the surrounding tissue the next day.  The test came back clear on this mole.  It seems strange to me that treatment can stop here.  How do I know that there are not other moles that are melanoma?  Should I be pushing for other tests or does this seem normal to just remove the tissue and be done.  No blood test, nothing?  I am happy that they are saying my treatment is done but concerned after reading all the post on this site where there were other spots undetected.  Or that it had spead to other areas.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        dcarter
        Participant

I was also diagnosed with melanoma on August 23rd (my son's 14th birthday).  I had my surgery last saturday (9-11).  I just got the results back today and all margins are clear.  While I was waiting to have my surgery I did A LOT of research on melanoma.  I read story after story.  Some were good and some were not. I wanted to educate myself as much as possible and know all of the right questions to ask.  Thats exactly what I did.  I found a doctor that did all of the test,  I had CT scans, blood work, and Pet scan.  I just found out today that all looks good but I do have a few lymph nodes that they will need to follow up on with more scans in 3 months.  I will also have to visit my dermatologist every 3 months.  I completely understand where you are coming from and if I were you, I would have it ALL checked.  Ask for the scans, if they won't do them because of the early stage of your melanoma, find someone who will.  I wish you the very best.  Please keep me posted!

Take care

Delisea

Brandi
            Participant

Hi Delissea,

I am new to this site and I am just curious did you have a lymph node biopsy as well? The reason I ask is b/c i just had a melanoma 1.6cm dx'd on my leg well I saw a surgeon today who wants to do a wide local excision and sln tracing. My margins are clear, no ulceration, no regression, no mitotic rate, no lympovascular involvement the only negative was the thickness. I am now contemplating whether or not I should get a second opinion or just roll with it. The only things they ordered were the routine labs and a chest xray before the surgery nothing else. So my question is did you have all of this as well or were the ct and pet scans the only tx you had?

Thanks,

Brandi

Janner
              Participant

Having a lesion with a depth over 1mm, it is standard to have the sentinel lymph node biopsy.  You can refuse, of course, because the biopsy is mainly for staging purposes. However, the "standard of care" would say to have the biopsy.  A second opinion would probably say the same thing.  Scans (PET or CT) will NOT pick up very small amounts of disease so scans will not replace the lymph node biopsy for determining if the melanoma has spread microscopically.  Scans only pick up "tumors", not stray cells that may be in the lymph nodes.  In most cases, they would not order scans unless the lymph node biopsy was positive.  If positive, they would look for spread elsewhere.  But the sentinel lymph node biopsy would be the next step.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Having a lesion with a depth over 1mm, it is standard to have the sentinel lymph node biopsy.  You can refuse, of course, because the biopsy is mainly for staging purposes. However, the "standard of care" would say to have the biopsy.  A second opinion would probably say the same thing.  Scans (PET or CT) will NOT pick up very small amounts of disease so scans will not replace the lymph node biopsy for determining if the melanoma has spread microscopically.  Scans only pick up "tumors", not stray cells that may be in the lymph nodes.  In most cases, they would not order scans unless the lymph node biopsy was positive.  If positive, they would look for spread elsewhere.  But the sentinel lymph node biopsy would be the next step.

Best wishes,

Janner

Brandi
                  Participant

Hi Delissea,

I am new to this site and I am just curious did you have a lymph node biopsy as well? The reason I ask is b/c i just had a melanoma 1.6cm dx'd on my leg well I saw a surgeon today who wants to do a wide local excision and sln tracing. My margins are clear, no ulceration, no regression, no mitotic rate, no lympovascular involvement the only negative was the thickness. I am now contemplating whether or not I should get a second opinion or just roll with it. The only things they ordered were the routine labs and a chest xray before the surgery nothing else. So my question is did you have all of this as well or were the ct and pet scans the only tx you had?

Thanks,

Brandi

dcarter
                  Participant

I was also diagnosed with melanoma on August 23rd (my son's 14th birthday).  I had my surgery last saturday (9-11).  I just got the results back today and all margins are clear.  While I was waiting to have my surgery I did A LOT of research on melanoma.  I read story after story.  Some were good and some were not. I wanted to educate myself as much as possible and know all of the right questions to ask.  Thats exactly what I did.  I found a doctor that did all of the test,  I had CT scans, blood work, and Pet scan.  I just found out today that all looks good but I do have a few lymph nodes that they will need to follow up on with more scans in 3 months.  I will also have to visit my dermatologist every 3 months.  I completely understand where you are coming from and if I were you, I would have it ALL checked.  Ask for the scans, if they won't do them because of the early stage of your melanoma, find someone who will.  I wish you the very best.  Please keep me posted!

Take care

Delisea

washoegal
                    Participant

Before anyone can give you advice they would need to know the depth of the mole.  You would either find this on the pathlogy report or by asking the doctor.  If it was superficial, you may just need clear margins.  See about melanoma section for more detailed information.

washoegal
                      Participant

Before anyone can give you advice they would need to know the depth of the mole.  You would either find this on the pathlogy report or by asking the doctor.  If it was superficial, you may just need clear margins.  See about melanoma section for more detailed information.

J8cavan
                        Participant

I would consult with an oncologist at a well known cancer center. They will most likely have lymph node ultra sounds and ct scan or mri scan follow ups. This disease can come back after clear margins. Mine did. 

J8cavan
                          Participant

I would consult with an oncologist at a well known cancer center. They will most likely have lymph node ultra sounds and ct scan or mri scan follow ups. This disease can come back after clear margins. Mine did. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics