The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Had first Yervoy infusion on Friday/side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Had first Yervoy infusion on Friday/side effects

Participant

I had my first Yervoy infusion on Friday (2/1) and actually had a side effect not from the Yervoy but from the Benadryl they gave me pryer to the infussion. Belive it or not I have never taken Benadryl in any form. Aside from this cancer, I really have never been one to get sick. The last time I was sick was about 15 years ago when there was a bad flu hitting.
      Anyway…I started feeling very strange and felt like I was going to pass out, but not really dizzy. It was like a hyper anxioty about something about to happen, alone with a feeling I was going to pass out. My blood pressure dropped from 120/72 to 88/65. They opended the iv and flushed my vein. It fianlly went away after about ten minutes. 
      Anyone else here have this happen? If so, did they use something other than Benadryl before the next infusion/

The only side effect I had from the Yervoy (if it really was one) was a few back to back adrenalin head rushes later that night. I was a little bit slow to get going the next day, but have felt fine since.

Jerry

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lucassi
        Participant

Hi Jerry,

The same thing happened to my husband, although it was not with his first Yervoy infusion.  The infusion room nurse called the physician on call and it was decided that my husband was dehydrated.  After drinking some water he was fine and he didn't have the problem with the next infusion.  I made sure that he drank plenty of fluids prior to the infusion visit.

Best of luck to you.

Sigrid

Lucassi
          Participant

Hi Jerry,

The same thing happened to my husband, although it was not with his first Yervoy infusion.  The infusion room nurse called the physician on call and it was decided that my husband was dehydrated.  After drinking some water he was fine and he didn't have the problem with the next infusion.  I made sure that he drank plenty of fluids prior to the infusion visit.

Best of luck to you.

Sigrid

Lucassi
            Participant

Hi Jerry,

Best of luck to you.

Sigrid

Jinx
                Participant

Thank you Sigrid

That is good to know and a simple solution. I am sure I did not drink much water the day I went as I find it hard sometimes to drink water. I have been working at it and I will work harder now.

J

Jinx
                  Participant

Thank you Sigrid

That is good to know and a simple solution. I am sure I did not drink much water the day I went as I find it hard sometimes to drink water. I have been working at it and I will work harder now.

J

Jinx
                    Participant

Thank you Sigrid

J

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      I have had problems with dehydration from Yervoy since I finished round 2. Still having to drink plenty of extra fluids, finished 12/3/12. Not just water, but Gatorade too!!
                        Marcia1
                        Participant

My Mom, who has Stage IV Melanoma and is 86, had her 1st Yervoy treatment Jan. 21 and she is now in the hospital with dehydration, but she has constant diarrhea and they can't seem to get it under control.  Gave her steroids so far.  I'll have to make sure she drinks lots of water prior to and during her next treatment (which she wants to have).

Marcia1
                          Participant

My Mom, who has Stage IV Melanoma and is 86, had her 1st Yervoy treatment Jan. 21 and she is now in the hospital with dehydration, but she has constant diarrhea and they can't seem to get it under control.  Gave her steroids so far.  I'll have to make sure she drinks lots of water prior to and during her next treatment (which she wants to have).

Marcia1
                            Participant

awillett1991
                            Participant
                              I have had problems with dehydration from Yervoy since I finished round 2. Still having to drink plenty of extra fluids, finished 12/3/12. Not just water, but Gatorade too!!
                              awillett1991
                              Participant
                                Gene_S
                                Participant

My husband never had Benadryl administered before his Ipi infusions and still doesn't.  Maybe next time they will just try the Ipi and forgo anything else.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV on Ipi since March 2011 and NED)

Gene_S
                                  Participant

My husband never had Benadryl administered before his Ipi infusions and still doesn't.  Maybe next time they will just try the Ipi and forgo anything else.

kylez
                                      Participant

Judy, I can't recall being asked to take any pills before any of the Ipi infusions either.

kylez
                                        Participant

Judy, I can't recall being asked to take any pills before any of the Ipi infusions either.

kylez
                                          Participant

Gene_S
                                          Participant

fishook40
                                            Participant

Hi, I’m into my second week after the first IV treatment of the Yervoy. So far no problems, I feel great and the dog and I walked about 3 miles today. Now to your question about the Benadryl. I started on interferon the second of Jan. in 2011. After they started the IV , my legs would jump all over the place, I had trouble staying in the chair. I complained and they removed the Benadryl, and everything was better, no jerks or spasms . Last week when I started the IV of the Yervoy I told my doctor , no Benadryl, at first she said they would cut it in half, and was adamant that I wanted no, none of the Benadryl. So they left it out and gave me Tylenol half way through the treatment and I never had any problems. Jerre
                                              fishook40
                                              Participant

Hi, I’m into my second week after the first IV treatment of the Yervoy. So far no problems, I feel great and the dog and I walked about 3 miles today. Now to your question about the Benadryl. I started on interferon the second of Jan. in 2011. After they started the IV , my legs would jump all over the place, I had trouble staying in the chair. I complained and they removed the Benadryl, and everything was better, no jerks or spasms . Last week when I started the IV of the Yervoy I told my doctor , no Benadryl, at first she said they would cut it in half, and was adamant that I wanted no, none of the Benadryl. So they left it out and gave me Tylenol half way through the treatment and I never had any problems. Jerre
                                                fishook40
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics