The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

GSK Phase III BRAF/MEK Combo Trial now Recruiting

Forums General Melanoma Community GSK Phase III BRAF/MEK Combo Trial now Recruiting

Participant

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01584648

The trial will randomize half the patients to the combo.  The other half will get only the BRAF inhibitor.  I have been on a Phase I/II trial of these two drugs for almost a year-and-a-half (getting both drugs), and have done very well.  Also, very good interim results were reported at the last ASCO conference. I think that anyone who can qualify should seriously consider this trial.

Best wishes,

Harry

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01584648

The trial will randomize half the patients to the combo.  The other half will get only the BRAF inhibitor.  I have been on a Phase I/II trial of these two drugs for almost a year-and-a-half (getting both drugs), and have done very well.  Also, very good interim results were reported at the last ASCO conference. I think that anyone who can qualify should seriously consider this trial.

Best wishes,

Harry

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

This is very frustrating to read that this trial will not be completed until 2015, then analysis, then petition for FDA approval. Many people will die waiting for these 2 drugs in combo to be approved.

Harry in Fair Oaks
            Participant

GSK has already submitted requests to the FDA to have both drugs approved for single agent use:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-03/glaxo-files-two-melanoma-drugs-for-u-s-europe-approvals.html

The approvals could come later this year or early 2013.  It's conceivable that oncologists could then prescribe them in combo, but the drugs in combo will probably not be approved by insurance or Medicare until the Phase III results are in. 

Sometimes trials are ended before the planned date when early results are overwhelming one way or the other.  So  government approval for the combo could potentially come sooner.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
              Participant

GSK has already submitted requests to the FDA to have both drugs approved for single agent use:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-03/glaxo-files-two-melanoma-drugs-for-u-s-europe-approvals.html

The approvals could come later this year or early 2013.  It's conceivable that oncologists could then prescribe them in combo, but the drugs in combo will probably not be approved by insurance or Medicare until the Phase III results are in. 

Sometimes trials are ended before the planned date when early results are overwhelming one way or the other.  So  government approval for the combo could potentially come sooner.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

killmel
                Participant

This is very frustrating to read that this trial will not be completed until 2015, then analysis, then petition for FDA approval. Many people will die waiting for these 2 drugs in combo to be approved.

killmel
                  Participant

Harry is right! I am in month 22 of this trial and it is working well for me and the few cohorts I know. I was spiraling down fast, then they let me in and the next thing I knew I felt OK, and a short while later, I felt normal again.

All we do is take the Smith and Wesson pills they give us for free. Those guys go in there and shoot up the cancers big time. My brother has three post-doc degrees in experimental oncology and he said to stay in this fight we need three things: courage to fight it, and from this comes hope, and from this comes strength.

If you haven’t had your genome checked your oncologist isn’t practicing oncology…You should explain this to him or her and get on with the fight. This is high excitement. This is the future. This is living, not dying.

Harry is right! I am in month 22 of this trial and it is working well for me and the few cohorts I know. I was spiraling down fast, then they let me in and the next thing I knew I felt OK, and a short while later, I felt normal again.

All we do is take the Smith and Wesson pills they give us for free. Those guys go in there and shoot up the cancers big time. My brother has three post-doc degrees in experimental oncology and he said to stay in this fight we need three things: courage to fight it, and from this comes hope, and from this comes strength.

If you haven’t had your genome checked your oncologist isn’t practicing oncology…You should explain this to him or her and get on with the fight. This is high excitement. This is the future. This is living, not dying.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics