The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good news

Forums General Melanoma Community Good news

Participant

Hi all,

Yesterday I had MRI, saw onc and neurosurgeon. 

Dr. Pavlick saw regression on some of those pesky scalp mets, and my LDH went down a few more points. It had been quite high, went down a lot last month after starting MEK, and continued. So I'm stable.  I just love her. I never thought I'd like someone as much as Dr. Wolchuck, but they're both terrific. 

Then on to Dr. Kondziolka, my Neurosurgeon. All 16 of my brain mets are smaller or resolved, and no swelling. I've been off steroids for over a month.   When he told me that 10, even 5 years ago, it would not have been possible to Gamma Knife so many mets, I asked if it was because advances have been made with the GN.  he said no, it's because of the advances in the ways they've learned to use it.  Not so long ago, it would have been WBR.   He was delighted at my affect; said I was sharp as a tack. Lol. 

Also, Dr. P was going to be speaking to Merck about expanded access; will let you know. 

Karen

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        NYKaren
        Participant

I meant to say expanded access to PD1. 

Tina D
            Participant

Awesome news all the way around! Congratulations : )

Tina

Tina D
              Participant

Tina

Tina D
                Participant

Tina

NYKaren
                Participant

NYKaren
                  Participant

kpcollins31
                    Participant

Congratulations – Great news.

Kevin

Mat
                        Participant

Great news Karen!

Mat
                          Participant

Great news Karen!

Brendan
                            Participant

"All 16 of my brain mets are smaller or resolved, and no swelling. I've been off steroids for over a month."

Great news!!  Congrats.

Brendan

Brendan
                              Participant

"All 16 of my brain mets are smaller or resolved, and no swelling. I've been off steroids for over a month."

Great news!!  Congrats.

Brendan

Brendan
                                Participant

Great news!!  Congrats.

Brendan

Mat
                                  Participant

Great news Karen!

kpcollins31
                                  Participant

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                    Participant

Kevin

Bubbles
                                      Participant

Oh, Karen! That's WONDERFUL!!!!  You are an inspiration to all of us and especially to those with brain mets with the need for SRS as well as the BRAF/MEK combo!  You go girl!!!  celeste

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Oh, Karen! That's WONDERFUL!!!!  You are an inspiration to all of us and especially to those with brain mets with the need for SRS as well as the BRAF/MEK combo!  You go girl!!!  celeste

Bubbles
                                          Participant

POW
                                            Participant

That's wonderful news, Karen! Good for you! You are a courageous warrior and a true inspiration. Keep doing what you're doing!

POW
                                              Participant

That's wonderful news, Karen! Good for you! You are a courageous warrior and a true inspiration. Keep doing what you're doing!

POW
                                                Participant

shonnat
                                                  Participant

Hi Karen,

My husband was diagnosed with 3 brain mets and now 8 months later with 10 spots. He had WBR and srs on the one that caused his problems 8 months ago. Now they refuse to give him any more srs treatment without a proper explanation except that he has had too much radiation already. But that doesn't make sense as they were looking to give him more. They only treat up to 3 at a time yet I see on this board so many that have had more treated. I am looking for a second opinion. We are in Canada and maybe their protocol is different. I want at least a more definitve explanation before I give up.

Do you mind telling me how many of yours were treated at the same time and what size were they.

Thanks

Anna

shonnat
                                                    Participant

Hi Karen,

My husband was diagnosed with 3 brain mets and now 8 months later with 10 spots. He had WBR and srs on the one that caused his problems 8 months ago. Now they refuse to give him any more srs treatment without a proper explanation except that he has had too much radiation already. But that doesn't make sense as they were looking to give him more. They only treat up to 3 at a time yet I see on this board so many that have had more treated. I am looking for a second opinion. We are in Canada and maybe their protocol is different. I want at least a more definitve explanation before I give up.

Do you mind telling me how many of yours were treated at the same time and what size were they.

Thanks

Anna

shonnat
                                                      Participant

Hi Karen,

Thanks

Anna

NYKaren
                                                          Participant

Hi Anna,

i had about 15 each of 2 times. The largest was 22 mm, so luckily they were small.   Each time the neuro knew I had them, he did them all. It took him a long time to plot them out and even the procedures themselves were comparatively long… 2 hours for the second one.  

Last year, when Zel stopped working for me, I developed the first set. Then I started Tafinlar but very stupidly I myself messed up the dosing and was in too much of a hurry to get off steroids ( hoping for that elusive PD1 clinical trial). This time was 2 months ago, stayed on steroids 1 month, remain on Kepra and of course BRAF/MEK combo. 

I find it hard to believe that a doc would talk about too much radiation.  I would definitely get a second opinion.   

Hope this helps,

karen

shonnat
                                                            Participant

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my husband died yesterday from a rapid growth of his brain mets,

He was inpirational in his approach to living with cancer.  How I hate this disease.  

Good luck to you!

Anna

POW
                                                              Participant

Oh, Anna! I'm so sorry to learn this. It sounds like your husband's melanoma was particularly aggressive and resistant to treatment. I know that you tried everything that you possibly could to help him.  You fought by his side every step of the way.

Your husband was a vailant warrior and I hope that he is now at peace.  I hope that you are surrounded by loving family and friends who can help and comfort you during this difficult time. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

shonnat
                                                                Participant

That's very kind of you.

I am fortunate to have lots of love in my life.

Anna

shonnat
                                                                  Participant

That's very kind of you.

Anna

shonnat
                                                                    Participant

That's very kind of you.

Anna

POW
                                                                      Participant

Oh, Anna! I'm so sorry to learn this. It sounds like your husband's melanoma was particularly aggressive and resistant to treatment. I know that you tried everything that you possibly could to help him.  You fought by his side every step of the way.

Your husband was a vailant warrior and I hope that he is now at peace.  I hope that you are surrounded by loving family and friends who can help and comfort you during this difficult time. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

POW
                                                                        Participant

shonnat
                                                                          Participant

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my husband died yesterday from a rapid growth of his brain mets,

He was inpirational in his approach to living with cancer.  How I hate this disease.  

Good luck to you!

Anna

shonnat
                                                                            Participant

Good luck to you!

Anna

NYKaren
                                                                              Participant

Hi Anna,

i had about 15 each of 2 times. The largest was 22 mm, so luckily they were small.   Each time the neuro knew I had them, he did them all. It took him a long time to plot them out and even the procedures themselves were comparatively long… 2 hours for the second one.  

Last year, when Zel stopped working for me, I developed the first set. Then I started Tafinlar but very stupidly I myself messed up the dosing and was in too much of a hurry to get off steroids ( hoping for that elusive PD1 clinical trial). This time was 2 months ago, stayed on steroids 1 month, remain on Kepra and of course BRAF/MEK combo. 

I find it hard to believe that a doc would talk about too much radiation.  I would definitely get a second opinion.   

Hope this helps,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                Participant

Hi Anna,

Hope this helps,

karen

jag
                                                                                Participant

Way to go Karen! very happy to see you are doing so well.  I am so far removed from current therapies, that I can't believe that they GN'd so many tumors either.  I remember Dr. Wolchok talked to me about WBR once because I had 2!

Unfortunately (and maybe fortunately) there was a ton of radiation necrosis which eventually led to me having seizures.  Keep you patnet updated so old timers can check in every so often.

John

jag
                                                                                  Participant

Way to go Karen! very happy to see you are doing so well.  I am so far removed from current therapies, that I can't believe that they GN'd so many tumors either.  I remember Dr. Wolchok talked to me about WBR once because I had 2!

Unfortunately (and maybe fortunately) there was a ton of radiation necrosis which eventually led to me having seizures.  Keep you patnet updated so old timers can check in every so often.

John

ljhncj12345
                                                                                      Participant

Congratulations on your good news!

ljhncj12345
                                                                                        Participant

ljhncj12345
                                                                                          Participant

jag
                                                                                          Participant

John

hbecker
                                                                                            Participant

Yay Karen!! So happy for you!

Hazel

hbecker
                                                                                              Participant

Hazel

hbecker
                                                                                                Participant

Hazel

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics