The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Good Appointment

Forums General Melanoma Community Good Appointment

Participant

I saw Dr. Pavlick today. I don't know why, but I was a wreck before-hand. 

When I messed myself up by staying off Tafilnar for 3 weeks, I wound up with 17 small brain mets, which were gamma knifed. Luckily, my lymph nodes were still clear. 

I have a follow-up MRI on Dec 16th and then seeing neurologist right after that.

As I'm typing this, I'm wondering why I didn't ask her about phase II PD1 trial; we just discussed phase III, and how it wouldn't be good for me. I will call tomorrow to ask about phase II trial. 

ANYWAY, her plan is, after brain is deemed stable, to add another MEK inhibitor. Apparently, they've gotten really good, long-term results with this combo, and hopefully that will hold me over until PD1 is FDA approved, before 2015. 

I'll find out about phase II trial and report back. 

Karen

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Sounds like very good news, Karen! I will pray that those brain mets are really fried and that the BRAF/MEK combo works as well for you as it has for many others. This could be the start of something good, Baby!

POW
          Participant

Sounds like very good news, Karen! I will pray that those brain mets are really fried and that the BRAF/MEK combo works as well for you as it has for many others. This could be the start of something good, Baby!

UrsulaZ
              Participant

Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me! I find that my emotions are unpredictable, too. I hope you are feeling a bit more at ease tonight.

UrsulaZ
                Participant

Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me! I find that my emotions are unpredictable, too. I hope you are feeling a bit more at ease tonight.

UrsulaZ
                  Participant

POW
                  Participant

GAngel
                    Participant

Good news and plan!  Thanks for the update. I'm keeping you in my prayers.

God bless you.

Gina

GAngel
                      Participant

God bless you.

Gina

GAngel
                        Participant

God bless you.

Gina

Maureen038
                            Participant

That's wonderful news Karen!! I hope everything continues to go well for you! 

Maureen

Maureen038
                              Participant

Maureen

Maureen038
                                Participant

Maureen

awillett1991
                                Participant

Great news Karen! Thanks for the update.

Amy

awillett1991
                                  Participant

Amy

awillett1991
                                    Participant

Amy

Tina D
                                      Participant

Great report..glad to hear this!

Tina

Tina D
                                        Participant

Tina

Tina D
                                          Participant

Tina

aldakota22
                                            Participant

Srr you hd a good visit also.Get on to your next course of treatment  asap.Wish i wiould have met you .Nice to put a face to another fighter.In my prayers.Keep on beating thr brast.   Al

aldakota22
                                              Participant

Srr you hd a good visit also.Get on to your next course of treatment  asap.Wish i wiould have met you .Nice to put a face to another fighter.In my prayers.Keep on beating thr brast.   Al

aldakota22
                                                Participant

aldakota22
                                                  Participant

aldakota22
                                                    Participant

killmel
                                                        Participant

Karen,

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAppy for you.

I can not imagine getting treated for 1 brain met and you had 17 mets treated. You are awesome.

Do you have any side effects from 17 mets zapped?

Well Wishes

killmel
                                                          Participant

Karen,

I can not imagine getting treated for 1 brain met and you had 17 mets treated. You are awesome.

Well Wishes

NYKaren
                                                            Participant

Hi, just saw this now.  No side effects except tired from anesthesia and I was last case, 8:00 pm. Not all hospitals use anesthesia, but I couldn't imagine lying still for 2 hours. I was told that when there a lot of small mets it's time-consuming to get them all mapped out and zapped. If I had been a morning case, I would have gone to work the next day…I took one more day to sleep. Fingers crossed–3 weeks till brain MRI & if still clear, time to add Menkinist and pray a lot!

karen

NYKaren
                                                              Participant

Hi, just saw this now.  No side effects except tired from anesthesia and I was last case, 8:00 pm. Not all hospitals use anesthesia, but I couldn't imagine lying still for 2 hours. I was told that when there a lot of small mets it's time-consuming to get them all mapped out and zapped. If I had been a morning case, I would have gone to work the next day…I took one more day to sleep. Fingers crossed–3 weeks till brain MRI & if still clear, time to add Menkinist and pray a lot!

karen

NYKaren
                                                                Participant

karen

killmel
                                                                  Participant

Karen,

Well Wishes

aldakota22
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics