The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Going to do the Wound Vac “acti vac” and feeling ok since the Ipi 4 days ago

Forums General Melanoma Community Going to do the Wound Vac “acti vac” and feeling ok since the Ipi 4 days ago

Participant

Hi everyone,

The leg infection continues, got on augmentin twice a day for 14 days, then once a day for "months". I asked my surgeon yesterday about doing a wound vac and he said YES!! So it was ordered, I'll have it Tuesdy and will go down to DHMC for the nurses to put it on and for the doc to decide to what level he wants the wound brought to (I dont know the terminology here but the acti vac people said he will decide how long it is to stay on and check me weekly or so). I am so happy as 6 months with open wounds feels like enough!!

Hi everyone,

The leg infection continues, got on augmentin twice a day for 14 days, then once a day for "months". I asked my surgeon yesterday about doing a wound vac and he said YES!! So it was ordered, I'll have it Tuesdy and will go down to DHMC for the nurses to put it on and for the doc to decide to what level he wants the wound brought to (I dont know the terminology here but the acti vac people said he will decide how long it is to stay on and check me weekly or so). I am so happy as 6 months with open wounds feels like enough!!

And regarding leg amputation….NOT going to do that….I just feel that 1. my melanoma will return elsewhere, the last new spot is pretty high up on my thigh, and 2, the wound from the amputation isnt going to heal and THAT will kill me. heck, I cant get two small spots on my lower leg to heal. A stump wound to heal? Not going to happen in my estimation. So thats where I stand.

Thank you everone who responded and who may still respond. it definitely helps to read all of this!

Vermont_Donna

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Hi Donna,

I am sorry you are having to make some difficult decisions as of late.

I hope the wound vac works well for you. I know it has worked well for others.

I do not understand the rationale behind the leg amputation either, since the mel is already in the blood stream. There was someone named Mike J here who did a leg amputation almost two years ago and the melanoma spread past the stump area anyway. Since you say you have difficulty healing as well, having the amputation may compromise your immune system further too.

Good luck with everything.

Michael

Vermont_Donna
            Participant

Thanks Michael. I am not sure about this particular oncology surgeon and me anymore. He did not tell me about hyberbaric oxygen treatment OR the wound vac. I also saw him a month ago and showed him where the second surgical site, where the were stitches were in 3.2 weeks and healed great, was beginning to split open (theres a term for this, I think its wound dehisence sp?…..where a stitched wound, once the stitches are removed, splits open) and when I asked him what I could do he said there was NOTHING I could do! He didnt ask to see me back or anything!!!! So I am not sure what is going on. I think surgically he is very skilled. Maybe he is really stressed these days. He also told me he had never seen a patient have her wounds do this before. WHAT?????!!!!!! Anyways, I need to have an honest discussion about whether he wants to be my doctor given all this, or maybe I should speak to my oncologist first. I am thinking that I should do that first. Anyways, thanks for listening!!

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Thanks Michael. I am not sure about this particular oncology surgeon and me anymore. He did not tell me about hyberbaric oxygen treatment OR the wound vac. I also saw him a month ago and showed him where the second surgical site, where the were stitches were in 3.2 weeks and healed great, was beginning to split open (theres a term for this, I think its wound dehisence sp?…..where a stitched wound, once the stitches are removed, splits open) and when I asked him what I could do he said there was NOTHING I could do! He didnt ask to see me back or anything!!!! So I am not sure what is going on. I think surgically he is very skilled. Maybe he is really stressed these days. He also told me he had never seen a patient have her wounds do this before. WHAT?????!!!!!! Anyways, I need to have an honest discussion about whether he wants to be my doctor given all this, or maybe I should speak to my oncologist first. I am thinking that I should do that first. Anyways, thanks for listening!!

Vermont_Donna

MichaelFL
              Participant

Hi Donna,

I am sorry you are having to make some difficult decisions as of late.

I hope the wound vac works well for you. I know it has worked well for others.

I do not understand the rationale behind the leg amputation either, since the mel is already in the blood stream. There was someone named Mike J here who did a leg amputation almost two years ago and the melanoma spread past the stump area anyway. Since you say you have difficulty healing as well, having the amputation may compromise your immune system further too.

Good luck with everything.

Michael

King
                Participant

Donna,

It sounds like you have made some great decisions.  Believe in them and believe in Ipi.  Hoping there are better days ahead and soon for you!

Stay Strong
                  King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

Vermont_Donna
                    Participant

Thanks, King! I found a couple of more sub-q's this morning in checking over my leg….felt them the other day and wasnt sure but today I am pretty sure thats what they are….up above my knee but the tissue there is kind of fibrous from some knee surgery several years ago (a wider excision and then 6 years ago a patella tendon tear repair). I am a little depressed today but also feeling very optimistic that Ipi is going to be the treatment that my melanoma responds too!

I appreciate all your great support and for always writing to me!

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Thanks, King! I found a couple of more sub-q's this morning in checking over my leg….felt them the other day and wasnt sure but today I am pretty sure thats what they are….up above my knee but the tissue there is kind of fibrous from some knee surgery several years ago (a wider excision and then 6 years ago a patella tendon tear repair). I am a little depressed today but also feeling very optimistic that Ipi is going to be the treatment that my melanoma responds too!

I appreciate all your great support and for always writing to me!

Vermont_Donna

King
                      Participant

Donna,

It sounds like you have made some great decisions.  Believe in them and believe in Ipi.  Hoping there are better days ahead and soon for you!

Stay Strong
                        King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

Sharyn
                        Participant

Hi Donna,

YAY!!! Finally you're getting the VAC! It will work wonders for you, I'm sure of it!

YAY!!! You've abandoned the amputation option! Whew!!! I'm really glad of that one!

YAY!!! You're doing well so far on ipi!!! Hope it continues!

YAY!!! Best post I've read from you in a nice while. keep 'em coming!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

Laurie from maine
                            Participant

Hi Donna,

I am glad that you are not doing amputation and now have a plan that you feel is the right path for you!

Thinking of you during this stressful time.  Strong prayers coming your way.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                              Participant

Hi Donna,

I am glad that you are not doing amputation and now have a plan that you feel is the right path for you!

Thinking of you during this stressful time.  Strong prayers coming your way.

laurie from maine

Sharyn
                              Participant

Hi Donna,

YAY!!! Finally you're getting the VAC! It will work wonders for you, I'm sure of it!

YAY!!! You've abandoned the amputation option! Whew!!! I'm really glad of that one!

YAY!!! You're doing well so far on ipi!!! Hope it continues!

YAY!!! Best post I've read from you in a nice while. keep 'em coming!

Hugs

Sharyn, Stage IV

ValinMtl
                                Participant

So relieved that you are not going the amputation route..made no sense.  Great idea to talk to your oncologist about decisions to be made..he has you on the right track with ipilimumab..praying it works for you. 

Donna, I believe you also have lymphedema in the leg like me…I do use the support hose  if I'm going out anywhere but the best relief by far when my leg is really hurting…wrapping..my physiotherapist who works closely with the lymphedema foundation showed my hubby how to do it and now he is a pro, does it every 2nd day.  My lymphedema is pretty nasty, my surgeon admitted he was pretty drastic in depth and lymph nodes (I have no problem with that) and with 'wrapping' I don't feel the constant pressure, I almost feel 'human'.  Keep it in mind once your wound is healed. Perhaps, once melanoma is under control my leg might feel well enough to use the stockings more often.   Val xx

ValinMtl
                                  Participant

So relieved that you are not going the amputation route..made no sense.  Great idea to talk to your oncologist about decisions to be made..he has you on the right track with ipilimumab..praying it works for you. 

Donna, I believe you also have lymphedema in the leg like me…I do use the support hose  if I'm going out anywhere but the best relief by far when my leg is really hurting…wrapping..my physiotherapist who works closely with the lymphedema foundation showed my hubby how to do it and now he is a pro, does it every 2nd day.  My lymphedema is pretty nasty, my surgeon admitted he was pretty drastic in depth and lymph nodes (I have no problem with that) and with 'wrapping' I don't feel the constant pressure, I almost feel 'human'.  Keep it in mind once your wound is healed. Perhaps, once melanoma is under control my leg might feel well enough to use the stockings more often.   Val xx

ValinMtl
                                    Participant

ValinMtl
                                      Participant

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics