The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

genetic and molecular types of melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community genetic and molecular types of melanoma?

• Replies
      hbecker
      Participant

I did not mean to post this as Anonymous.

hbecker
        Participant

jbronicki
            Participant

Hi Hazel,

My husband had the 50-Gene Somatic Mutation Analysis Panel done on his tumor.  If you remember, he has a similar case where they can't rule out metastatic melanoma since there is no intraepidermal component (some have said primary dermal melanoma but our oncologist at MD Anderson won't say that). He had 19 mm melanoma removed from back but scans to date have shown NED and he is not doing any treatments.    He was found to have NRAS mutation in his.  Here is an image from the genetic mutation test from MD Anderson.  Looks like BRAF, KIT, and NRAS are what they look for in Melanoma (I beleive NRAS is found less frequently than BRAF):

50-Gene Somatic Mutation Analysis Panel Report**:

Clinical test requisition for mutation studies on the following genes was received: BRAF, KIT, NRAS

A next generation sequencing (NGS)-based analysis for the detection of somatic mutations in the coding sequence of a total of 50 genes
              was performed on the DNA extracted from the sample in our CLIA-certified molecular diagnostics laboratory. Interpretative findings are
              reported in the mutation screening summary table(s) below followed by specific details of detected variants.

Interpretation Key:

Circled/Bold: Mutation (or variant) detected
              Underlined: Mutation testing requested (ordered gene)
              Asterisk: Additional confirmation studies in progress, addendum report will be issued

MUTATION SCREENING SUMMARY:

ABL1 CSF1R FGFR2 IDH1 MLH1 PTPN11 TP53
              AKT1 CTNNB1 FGFR3 IDH2 MPL RB1 VHL
              ALK EGFR FLT3 JAK2 NOTCH1 RET
              APC ERBB2 GNA11 JAK3 NPM1 SMAD4
              ATM ERBB4 GNAQ KDR NRAS SMARCB1
              BRAF EZH2 GNAS KIT PDGFRA SMO
              CDH1 FBXW7 HNF1A KRAS PIK3CA SRC
              CDKN2A FGFR1 HRAS MET PTEN STK11

I. Mutations in ordered genes
              Gene Standardized Nomenclature (HGVS) Location DNA change Protein change dbSNP ID COSMIC
              ID
              NRAS NM_002524.4(NRAS):c.181C>A p.Q61K Exon 3 SNV Missense rs121913254COSM580

mary1233
              Participant

I have been trying for a long time to get an answer to this. Wild type mutations make up about 28% of the mutations. Among that 28%, are the wild types a singular muations, or are they a combination of "none of the above"?

Can anyone clarify this.

Thanks.

kylez
                Participant
                  I believe wild tyoe means the gene most commonly in the population, i.e. the unmutayed version. That would mean the unmutated v600 braf gene is wild type for that gene. 

whereas for NRAS G12a my tumors' versions of that gene have been mutated, so they are not wild type for nras g12.

that could be right or wrong!

kylez
                  Participant
                    I believe wild tyoe means the gene most commonly in the population, i.e. the unmutayed version. That would mean the unmutated v600 braf gene is wild type for that gene. 

whereas for NRAS G12a my tumors' versions of that gene have been mutated, so they are not wild type for nras g12.

kylez
                    Participant

mary1233
                      Participant

I have been trying for a long time to get an answer to this. Wild type mutations make up about 28% of the mutations. Among that 28%, are the wild types a singular muations, or are they a combination of "none of the above"?

Can anyone clarify this.

Thanks.

mary1233
                        Participant

Can anyone clarify this.

Thanks.

Annalive
                          Participant

Hi,  Thank you for posting.  I have st 3 Mel BRAF600+.  How does the information you've received on this panel inform the treatment options which you may be given?  How else might the information be useful?  Thank you, Ann

Annalive
                            Participant

Hi,  Thank you for posting.  I have st 3 Mel BRAF600+.  How does the information you've received on this panel inform the treatment options which you may be given?  How else might the information be useful?  Thank you, Ann

Annalive
                              Participant

Annalive
                                Participant

Annalive
                                  Participant

Annalive
                                    Participant

Annalive
                                      Participant

Annalive
                                        Participant

Annalive
                                          Participant

jbronicki
                                            Participant

Hi Hazel,

My husband had the 50-Gene Somatic Mutation Analysis Panel done on his tumor.  If you remember, he has a similar case where they can't rule out metastatic melanoma since there is no intraepidermal component (some have said primary dermal melanoma but our oncologist at MD Anderson won't say that). He had 19 mm melanoma removed from back but scans to date have shown NED and he is not doing any treatments.    He was found to have NRAS mutation in his.  Here is an image from the genetic mutation test from MD Anderson.  Looks like BRAF, KIT, and NRAS are what they look for in Melanoma (I beleive NRAS is found less frequently than BRAF):

Clinical test requisition for mutation studies on the following genes was received: BRAF, KIT, NRAS

A next generation sequencing (NGS)-based analysis for the detection of somatic mutations in the coding sequence of a total of 50 genes
                                              was performed on the DNA extracted from the sample in our CLIA-certified molecular diagnostics laboratory. Interpretative findings are
                                              reported in the mutation screening summary table(s) below followed by specific details of detected variants.

Interpretation Key:

Asterisk: Additional confirmation studies in progress, addendum report will be issued

Gene Standardized Nomenclature (HGVS) Location DNA change Protein change dbSNP ID COSMIC
                                              ID

jbronicki
                                              Participant

Hi Hazel,

Interpretation Key:

ID

hbecker
                                              Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics