The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gamma Knife treatment completed today

Forums General Melanoma Community Gamma Knife treatment completed today

Participant

My wife had her treatment – it lasted only 49 minutes. We got there at 6am and didn't get out until noon. It certainly is more painful than Cyberknife. She got 4 injections of local anesthetic at the sites where the head support frame is attached. She is pretty stoic and has a high pain tolerance; she's had a ton of sub-q tumor surgeries under local. But she said this was the worst. The spot where the pins will go gets filled up with the anesthetic fluid – quite pronounced. Once it got working after 20 seconds she had no pain at all the rest of the time.

My wife had her treatment – it lasted only 49 minutes. We got there at 6am and didn't get out until noon. It certainly is more painful than Cyberknife. She got 4 injections of local anesthetic at the sites where the head support frame is attached. She is pretty stoic and has a high pain tolerance; she's had a ton of sub-q tumor surgeries under local. But she said this was the worst. The spot where the pins will go gets filled up with the anesthetic fluid – quite pronounced. Once it got working after 20 seconds she had no pain at all the rest of the time. They attach the frame with four pins and they tighten them all the way to the skull. They pulled out an allen wrench and the neurologist really reefed on it – I was surprised at how tight they got it. 

They gave her an Atavin – sedative – and that made her pretty sleepy throughout the entire procedure. After the head frame attachment it was a piece of cake – get the MRI – wait 90 minutes while they do the gamma radiation plan, then the treatment itself. She's been napping all day in recovery, but otherwise in pretty good shape.

Given the choice she would do the Cyberknife again in a hearbeat over Gammaknife. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Nick,

Your wife has been through so much.  Even those of us with high pain tolerance can only take so much!  I'm glad they gave her the ativan and hopefully when she is more awake tomorrow it will not be a vivid memory. 

I hope you are also taking care of yourself during this time.

Linda
          Stage IV  since 06   finished radiation today!

lhaley
          Participant

Nick,

Your wife has been through so much.  Even those of us with high pain tolerance can only take so much!  I'm glad they gave her the ativan and hopefully when she is more awake tomorrow it will not be a vivid memory. 

I hope you are also taking care of yourself during this time.

Linda
            Stage IV  since 06   finished radiation today!

BethA
            Participant

Sorry today was so hard.  Glad its over.   I hope she will feel better tomorrow.  That will make a good weekend for both of you!!  Sending my prayers…Beth 3/B

BethA
              Participant

Sorry today was so hard.  Glad its over.   I hope she will feel better tomorrow.  That will make a good weekend for both of you!!  Sending my prayers…Beth 3/B

MaryBZ
                Participant

Nick,

I have been following your journey on your blog.  I can not express as eloquently as you how melanoma has impacted my life a well as those around me.  And although I have not been through the numerous procedures and treatments as your wife and therefore can't know what you are all going through, I keep you in my daily prayers.

Caringly,

Mary

nickmac56
                    Participant

thank you Mary. She is doing ok today – her head is pretty "fuzzy" and she has some difficulty speaking but we hope that is just temporary. 

nickmac56
                      Participant

thank you Mary. She is doing ok today – her head is pretty "fuzzy" and she has some difficulty speaking but we hope that is just temporary. 

MaryBZ
                      Participant

Nick,

I have been following your journey on your blog.  I can not express as eloquently as you how melanoma has impacted my life a well as those around me.  And although I have not been through the numerous procedures and treatments as your wife and therefore can't know what you are all going through, I keep you in my daily prayers.

Caringly,

Mary

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics