The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gamma Knife scheduled for Tuesday

Forums General Melanoma Community Gamma Knife scheduled for Tuesday

Participant
      First, thank you to all who responded to my post yesterday. I was deeply shaken and upset but once again, it’s time to pull up the bootstraps and move on.
      My husband and I met Dr. Greg Kondziolka today and liked him a lot. He showed us the scans and asked me how my hearing is in my right ear. When he showed me how much Mel is in the ear…it basically blocks everything. That was as scary as the brain mets.

It’s kind of interesting that one of the larger brain tumors is dangerously close to the area that affect my speech. If I hadn’t insisted on stopping Zel for the PD1 trial, I wouldn’t have had the MRI, and I’d be talking oddly or not at all pretty soon.

As I said, we liked the doc a lot… He was one of the builders of the gamma Knife system. The best thing about him is that he believes in sedation. (Well, one of the best.)
      NYU’s Gamma Knife machine was damaged during Sandy, so he does the procedure at 3 tri-state hospitals that have the exact same machine.
      We’ll be going to South Nassau Hospital, about 15 minutes from our house, which is good when you have to be there at 5:30 am.

Also, yes the GSK trial does require 2 months out from treatment for brain mets, so I’m lucky to be going for Merck’s version.

So, onward and upward, and I’ll let you know how it goes Tuesday.
      Karen

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Richard_K
        Participant
          Karen,
          Thanks for the update. We will be waiting for good news from you on your next post; don’t let us down.
          Richard_K
          Participant
            Karen,
            Thanks for the update. We will be waiting for good news from you on your next post; don’t let us down.
            Richard_K
            Participant
              Karen,
              Candi13
              Participant

Karen,

I am so glad you like your doctor & you are going forward.

I am new here so I am trying to learn about everything.

When you have brain mets treated, will you be able to get into the Merck trial immediately, or do you have to wait a certain amount of time to prove to Merck that your brain mets are stable before Merck will let you in the trial?? If so, how long do you have to wait?

Good Luck on Tuesday and thank you for responding to my question about Merck & waiting to get into trial.

Justin

NYKaren
                  Participant
                    Alison, if you look at the trial under exclusions, it clearly says “30 days,” not 60. Yes, I think I’ll be on a short course of steroid, don’t know about anti-seizure med. I’ll call tomorrow and ask.
                    NYKaren
                    Participant
                      Alison, if you look at the trial under exclusions, it clearly says “30 days,” not 60. Yes, I think I’ll be on a short course of steroid, don’t know about anti-seizure med. I’ll call tomorrow and ask.
                      NYKaren
                      Participant
                      Candi13
                      Participant

Karen,

When you have brain mets treated, will you be able to get into the Merck trial immediately, or do you have to wait a certain amount of time to prove to Merck that your brain mets are stable before Merck will let you in the trial?? If so, how long do you have to wait?

Good Luck on Tuesday and thank you for responding to my question about Merck & waiting to get into trial.

Justin

Candi13
                        Participant

Karen,

Justin

aldakota22
                          Participant

Prayers sent  your way for Tuesday's  procedure.Love your fighting spirit after hearing some frightning news.Keep that PMA .Expect  to see a great post. very soon . Beat the Beast.     Al

aldakota22
                            Participant

Prayers sent  your way for Tuesday's  procedure.Love your fighting spirit after hearing some frightning news.Keep that PMA .Expect  to see a great post. very soon . Beat the Beast.     Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

Brendan
                                Participant
                                  Karen,
                                  Good luck to you. Glad you are , moving forward. Stay strong!

Brendan

Brendan
                                  Participant
                                    Karen,

Brendan

Brendan
                                    Participant
                                      Karen,

Brendan

awillett1991
                                      Participant
                                        Good luck Karen! I will be thinking of you!!

Amy

awillett1991
                                        Participant

Amy

awillett1991
                                          Participant

Amy

rosa1
                                            Participant

Karen,

I pray that everything goes well with you on Tuesday and beyond.  It sucks going thru this but unfortunately we are all in the same boat, but we have to keep strong and believe that God will be on  our side always.  Keep the faith!

All the best/Rosa

rosa1
                                              Participant

Karen,

I pray that everything goes well with you on Tuesday and beyond.  It sucks going thru this but unfortunately we are all in the same boat, but we have to keep strong and believe that God will be on  our side always.  Keep the faith!

All the best/Rosa

rosa1
                                                Participant

Karen,

All the best/Rosa

hbecker
                                                  Participant

Karen,

Thinking of you and sending all good vibes your way for Tuesday.

~Hazel

hbecker
                                                    Participant

Karen,

~Hazel

hbecker
                                                      Participant

Karen,

~Hazel

vivian
                                                        Participant

Hey Karen,

You and I were diagnosed at pretty much the same time, so I have been following your posts for a while now.  Thank you for sharing your wisdom and strength.   I will be holding you in the light on Tuesday, as always.  Go smack those stupid brain mets!

Lear

vivian
                                                          Participant

Hey Karen,

You and I were diagnosed at pretty much the same time, so I have been following your posts for a while now.  Thank you for sharing your wisdom and strength.   I will be holding you in the light on Tuesday, as always.  Go smack those stupid brain mets!

Lear

vivian
                                                            Participant

Hey Karen,

Lear

NYKaren
                                                              Participant
                                                                Justin, it’s a 28-day wait. So I’ll have next MRI on day 28 & keep my fingers crossed.
                                                                NYKaren
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Justin, it’s a 28-day wait. So I’ll have next MRI on day 28 & keep my fingers crossed.
                                                                  NYKaren
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    killmel
                                                                    Participant

Hi Karen

My husband had brain met treated with gamma knife and is also waiting to get into the Merck trial.

This is the trial:

Study of MK-3475 Versus Chemotherapy in Participants With Advanced Melanoma (P08719/MK-3475-002 AM1)

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01704287

My husband's doctor told us that we had to wait 8 weeks (2 months) before we go through the qualification process to get in the trial. My husband will have a brain MRI as part of the qualification process so that Merck will know that his brain met is "stable"

KAREN,  how long have you been told that you have to wait before you can try to get into the Merck trial? Will you have to take STEROID or ANTI-SEIZURE MED. My husband is on both and is trying to cope with the meds

Good Luck on Tuesday!

Alison

killmel
                                                                      Participant

Hi Karen

My husband had brain met treated with gamma knife and is also waiting to get into the Merck trial.

This is the trial:

Study of MK-3475 Versus Chemotherapy in Participants With Advanced Melanoma (P08719/MK-3475-002 AM1)

My husband's doctor told us that we had to wait 8 weeks (2 months) before we go through the qualification process to get in the trial. My husband will have a brain MRI as part of the qualification process so that Merck will know that his brain met is "stable"

KAREN,  how long have you been told that you have to wait before you can try to get into the Merck trial? Will you have to take STEROID or ANTI-SEIZURE MED. My husband is on both and is trying to cope with the meds

Good Luck on Tuesday!

Alison

killmel
                                                                        Participant

Hi Karen

This is the trial:

Good Luck on Tuesday!

Alison

NYKaren
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            DK, thanks. I REALLY like Dr. P. I was very happy to be handed over to her because of all the good things you and Al have to say about her.
                                                                            NYKaren
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              DK, thanks. I REALLY like Dr. P. I was very happy to be handed over to her because of all the good things you and Al have to say about her.
                                                                              NYKaren
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                killmel
                                                                                Participant

Karen, you are right about the "exclusions" statement saying 30 days but my doctor checked with the Medical Director at Merck and he told him that it is a 8 weeks /60 day waiting period.

Please ask you doctor to call the  Medical  Director at Merck to verify what is the CORRECT timeframe. I hope the Medical Director tells you doctor 30 days so that I can tell my doctor.

Please post what you find out.

Thanks,

Allison

killmel
                                                                                  Participant

Karen, you are right about the "exclusions" statement saying 30 days but my doctor checked with the Medical Director at Merck and he told him that it is a 8 weeks /60 day waiting period.

Please ask you doctor to call the  Medical  Director at Merck to verify what is the CORRECT timeframe. I hope the Medical Director tells you doctor 30 days so that I can tell my doctor.

Thanks,

Allison

killmel
                                                                                    Participant

Thanks,

Allison

killmel
                                                                                      Participant

Karen,

Just to clarify, it is 30 days "wash out" period from the last treatment  "Participating or has participated in a study of an investigational agent or using an investigational device within 30 days of the first dose of study drug"

I am talking about my doctor telling my husband that he had to wait 8 weeks/60 days from having radiation for his brain met. out doctor said the Medical director at Merck told him that it takes at least 8 weeks to determine if a brain met is stable.

Allison

killmel
                                                                                        Participant

Karen,

Just to clarify, it is 30 days "wash out" period from the last treatment  "Participating or has participated in a study of an investigational agent or using an investigational device within 30 days of the first dose of study drug"

I am talking about my doctor telling my husband that he had to wait 8 weeks/60 days from having radiation for his brain met. out doctor said the Medical director at Merck told him that it takes at least 8 weeks to determine if a brain met is stable.

Allison

killmel
                                                                                          Participant

Karen,

Allison

NYKaren
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Vivian, I’m afraid to ask for fear of the answer.
                                                                                              But it does say “chemotherapy, radiation therapy or biological therapy within 4 weeks…”
                                                                                              Now we’re both confused. Seems odd that they’d print one thing and say another. Both the onc and neurosurgeon said 28 days. Hmmmm.
                                                                                              I will ask my onc & let you know.
                                                                                              NYKaren
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                But it does say “chemotherapy, radiation therapy or biological therapy within 4 weeks…”
                                                                                                Now we’re both confused. Seems odd that they’d print one thing and say another. Both the onc and neurosurgeon said 28 days. Hmmmm.
                                                                                                NYKaren
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                              Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics