The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Frequency of scans

Forums General Melanoma Community Frequency of scans

Participant
      I am stage 3 and currently in my 3rd month of interferon. I was told the new guidelines say no scans unless there is evidence. This concerns me. Wondering if others were told this by their doctor?
      Thanks!

I am stage 3 and currently in my 3rd month of interferon. I was told the new guidelines say no scans unless there is evidence. This concerns me. Wondering if others were told this by their doctor?
      Thanks!

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

That seems like a very strange comment: "no scans unless there is evidence". I was always under the impression that scans are used to monitor you and if something suspicious is seen, then further action will be taken.

I'm stage III, currently in a trial, and my scan schedule is: first year every 3 months, 2nd year every 6 months. I'm not sure if and when the every 6 months will change.

Linny
          Participant

That seems like a very strange comment: "no scans unless there is evidence". I was always under the impression that scans are used to monitor you and if something suspicious is seen, then further action will be taken.

I'm stage III, currently in a trial, and my scan schedule is: first year every 3 months, 2nd year every 6 months. I'm not sure if and when the every 6 months will change.

Linny
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

There is no "scan concensus" across institutions.  Some institutions scan a lot.  Others do not scan unless you are having symptoms.  Studies have shown that scans don't change outcomes so that is why many places will not scan without symptoms.  Scans are big business.  In addition, insurance may balk at frequent scans without evidence of their necessity.  You'll find that rationale and frequecy is all over the spectrum here — so the best thing to do is work with your insurance and caregivers to find something that works FOR YOU!

JC
                  Participant

also have to take into consideration radiation exposure from scans over time

JC
                    Participant

JC
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

There is no "scan concensus" across institutions.  Some institutions scan a lot.  Others do not scan unless you are having symptoms.  Studies have shown that scans don't change outcomes so that is why many places will not scan without symptoms.  Scans are big business.  In addition, insurance may balk at frequent scans without evidence of their necessity.  You'll find that rationale and frequecy is all over the spectrum here — so the best thing to do is work with your insurance and caregivers to find something that works FOR YOU!

Janner
                        Participant

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                          Participant

I've "graduated" to seeing my oncologist every 6 months, where his protocol right now is to do a PET/CT scan – that may change with the new guidelines.  Historically, when I've seen him between PET/CT scans and mentioneded ANY symptom (headache, coughing, abdominal pain) that could indicate a recurrence, he would order either a CT or MRI to rule out it out.  I don't think any melanoma patient is going to have difficulty getting their oncologist to do a scan.  Oncologists tend to be a cautious bunch, especially when it comes to something as unpredictable as melanoma.

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                            Participant

I've "graduated" to seeing my oncologist every 6 months, where his protocol right now is to do a PET/CT scan – that may change with the new guidelines.  Historically, when I've seen him between PET/CT scans and mentioneded ANY symptom (headache, coughing, abdominal pain) that could indicate a recurrence, he would order either a CT or MRI to rule out it out.  I don't think any melanoma patient is going to have difficulty getting their oncologist to do a scan.  Oncologists tend to be a cautious bunch, especially when it comes to something as unpredictable as melanoma.

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                              Participant

akls
                                Participant

I had one PET scan at the end of my year and haven't been scanned since.  I have chest x rays and bloodwork twice a year.  I only have scans if I'm having any symptoms. 

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                  Participant

I had one PET scan at the end of my year and haven't been scanned since.  I have chest x rays and bloodwork twice a year.  I only have scans if I'm having any symptoms. 

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                    Participant

Amy S. in Michigan

Mandi0280
                                      Participant

I don't think there is really a question about the doctors not wanting to scan you…it is the insurance companies not wanting to do the scanning. My husband has had scans every 3 months since his diagnosis 1 year ago (sometimes even more because he got sick after taking ipi on a trial) until last month when our insurance company would not approve his scans. I called them because i was very anxious to get these scans as these would mark his 1 year NED if they didn't show anything. The insurance company telsl me that it seems that scans are becoming very common with my my husband and they want to make sure that he needed them before they pay for them. They acted like he loved to get CT scans and was doing it for fun. I wanted to say lady we will glady stop with these scans if you can just tell us this melanoma is gone for good. I was very frustrated with them. But we finally got them approved because my husband has 2 nodes in his neck that the doctor is watching. The doctor says this is becomming very common that the insurance does not want to pay for scans. So, who knows when we will get scans again. We see the doctor again in 4 months. The normal with melanoma is supposed to be scans every 3 months for the first year for sure though unless the insurance companies somehow get that changed

mandi

Mandi0280
                                        Participant

I don't think there is really a question about the doctors not wanting to scan you…it is the insurance companies not wanting to do the scanning. My husband has had scans every 3 months since his diagnosis 1 year ago (sometimes even more because he got sick after taking ipi on a trial) until last month when our insurance company would not approve his scans. I called them because i was very anxious to get these scans as these would mark his 1 year NED if they didn't show anything. The insurance company telsl me that it seems that scans are becoming very common with my my husband and they want to make sure that he needed them before they pay for them. They acted like he loved to get CT scans and was doing it for fun. I wanted to say lady we will glady stop with these scans if you can just tell us this melanoma is gone for good. I was very frustrated with them. But we finally got them approved because my husband has 2 nodes in his neck that the doctor is watching. The doctor says this is becomming very common that the insurance does not want to pay for scans. So, who knows when we will get scans again. We see the doctor again in 4 months. The normal with melanoma is supposed to be scans every 3 months for the first year for sure though unless the insurance companies somehow get that changed

mandi

Mandi0280
                                          Participant

mandi

clientcommon
                                              Participant

This is critical problem that doctor did not response and i hate such insurance company that giving wrong support.

shame on such policies.

http://www.promos10.com

clientcommon
                                                Participant

This is critical problem that doctor did not response and i hate such insurance company that giving wrong support.

shame on such policies.

clientcommon
                                                  Participant

shame on such policies.

jupeter41
                                                  Participant

Stay with positive and do not feel like you are facing from some one disease and stay normal and enjoy.I will pray for you to cure.

submersible pressure transmitter

jupeter41
                                                    Participant

Stay with positive and do not feel like you are facing from some one disease and stay normal and enjoy.I will pray for you to cure.

jupeter41
                                                      Participant

clientcommon
                                                        Participant

It is difficult as we have to learn to live with these standards and can be quite frightening at times. If you are comfortable with your onc that is most important. I wish you comfort and peace of mind. God Bless and have a very happy new year.

home pest controls

tuneseo
                                                            Participant

I really appreciate your work,thanks for posting…please write more  blogs on such topics about scan frequency.

payroll compliance software

tuneseo
                                                              Participant

I really appreciate your work,thanks for posting…please write more  blogs on such topics about scan frequency.

tuneseo
                                                                Participant

clientcommon
                                                                Participant

It is difficult as we have to learn to live with these standards and can be quite frightening at times. If you are comfortable with your onc that is most important. I wish you comfort and peace of mind. God Bless and have a very happy new year.

home pest controls

clientcommon
                                                                  Participant

home pest controls

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics