The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Frequency of scans when stable?

Forums General Melanoma Community Frequency of scans when stable?

Participant

After learning of Stage 4 via VAT lung surgery in the summer of 2011 (initial diagnosis 15 years earlier), and having numerous lung nodules all under 1 cm, I did IL-2 in December of 2011 and March 2012.

All nodules have been stable since January 2012.  

I have have scans quarterly since. Sometimes just chest, other times chest, abdomin and pelvis, less frequently brain.

For those in a similar situation, what is the frequency of your scans. I seem to have no particular protocol.

Thanks.

After learning of Stage 4 via VAT lung surgery in the summer of 2011 (initial diagnosis 15 years earlier), and having numerous lung nodules all under 1 cm, I did IL-2 in December of 2011 and March 2012.

All nodules have been stable since January 2012.  

I have have scans quarterly since. Sometimes just chest, other times chest, abdomin and pelvis, less frequently brain.

For those in a similar situation, what is the frequency of your scans. I seem to have no particular protocol.

Thanks.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Randy437
        Participant

I have been stage iV for almost six years with mets to brain, each lung and small intestine.  My last recurrance was 3 1/2 years ago.  I get a brain MRI every six months and a body CT every four months. CTs were every three months  but I told my onc I was concerned about cumulative radiation and he agreed to make it every four months.  Probably a distinction without meaning.

Randy437
          Participant

I have been stage iV for almost six years with mets to brain, each lung and small intestine.  My last recurrance was 3 1/2 years ago.  I get a brain MRI every six months and a body CT every four months. CTs were every three months  but I told my onc I was concerned about cumulative radiation and he agreed to make it every four months.  Probably a distinction without meaning.

Randy437
            Participant

Linny
              Participant

I think it may differ with each doctor and whether you're in a trial. Even though you're NED, you're still considered high risk, hence the frequency of the scans. Eventually the frequency should become less. Charlie_S is a long term Stage IV survivor and probably will be able to give more insight into this.

I'm Stage III and in a trial. The first year I was scanned quarterly. The second year, every 6 months and I'm on the "6 month plan" until my trial ends in 2016. After that, I'm not sure. Maybe yearly scans?

Linny
                Participant

I think it may differ with each doctor and whether you're in a trial. Even though you're NED, you're still considered high risk, hence the frequency of the scans. Eventually the frequency should become less. Charlie_S is a long term Stage IV survivor and probably will be able to give more insight into this.

I'm Stage III and in a trial. The first year I was scanned quarterly. The second year, every 6 months and I'm on the "6 month plan" until my trial ends in 2016. After that, I'm not sure. Maybe yearly scans?

Linny
                  Participant

ad2424
                    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I wish I was NED. I'm stable for about a year and a half with multiple nodules on both lungs.

vivian
                      Participant

My two lung nodules were first seen in November 2011.  From March 2012, when I had an intransit axillary sub-q removed until November 2012, I had scans quarterly.  For most of that year, the nodules were "stable".  When one began to grow, it was removed by VATS.  Since then (11/12) I have been considered stage 4, NED, as the other nodule is no longer evident.  According to Dr. Wolchok, whom I trust implicitly, every three months is the right schedule for me.  Once I reach a year NED, then we go to every six months for scans.  I have had no other treatment except surgery since my stage 3a diagnosis in November 2010.

Stable for a year and a half seems great – keep it up!

Lear

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Depending on treatments and changes My CT scans have varied from monthly, to every three months and for the last three years every six months unless I have a complaint or the Oncologist feels lumps he wants to check out.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Depending on treatments and changes My CT scans have varied from monthly, to every three months and for the last three years every six months unless I have a complaint or the Oncologist feels lumps he wants to check out.

JerryfromFauq
                            Participant

JC
                              Participant

What are the facts with regard to scan radiation exposure and risk?

JC
                                Participant

JC
                                  Participant

DEK
                                    Participant

DEK here UK

Never gave it a thought

I have been scanned every 3 months since reaching stage 4.

Didn't know I was at this stage till Nov 2012

Since the ipilimumab treatment they have tried to scan after a month

But unfortunately due to the chronic diarrhea from the treatment it took 6 weeks before I could have scan

But for me I would say every 3 months

Don't they need that kind of gap to see any changes

ad2424
                                      Participant

Thanks for your reply. I wish I was NED. I'm stable for about a year and a half with multiple nodules on both lungs.

ad2424
                                        Participant

vivian
                                          Participant

My two lung nodules were first seen in November 2011.  From March 2012, when I had an intransit axillary sub-q removed until November 2012, I had scans quarterly.  For most of that year, the nodules were "stable".  When one began to grow, it was removed by VATS.  Since then (11/12) I have been considered stage 4, NED, as the other nodule is no longer evident.  According to Dr. Wolchok, whom I trust implicitly, every three months is the right schedule for me.  Once I reach a year NED, then we go to every six months for scans.  I have had no other treatment except surgery since my stage 3a diagnosis in November 2010.

Lear

vivian
                                            Participant

Lear

DEK
                                              Participant

DEK here UK

Never gave it a thought

But unfortunately due to the chronic diarrhea from the treatment it took 6 weeks before I could have scan

DEK
                                                Participant

DEK here UK

Never gave it a thought

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics