The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Frequency of scans

Forums General Melanoma Community Frequency of scans

Participant

Hi-  I am currently weighing my options for my stage 3C melanoma which I recently posted about.  One thing that surprised me was my Onc (Dr. Lao U of Michigan) said that he would get scans "every so often" vaguely and stated he'd do a brain MRI about once a year.  That seems too long to go to me.  What are other people experiencing as the standard for stage 3?

I am getting a little overwhlemed by all of the unknows, guessing, worrying, and not great options.  I want to have faith in my doctors and care, but I am worried.

Thanks

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Every 3 months for CT or PET/CT scans for first year is the norm, if all looks good after a year then I think that goes down to every 6 months and then once a year up to 5 years, obviously scan schedules would change if something were found that they'd want to follow up on sooner. Some docs do brain MRI once a year, some only do brain MRI if signs from CT scans show the need to look at brain further. 

jennunicorn
          Participant

Every 3 months for CT or PET/CT scans for first year is the norm, if all looks good after a year then I think that goes down to every 6 months and then once a year up to 5 years, obviously scan schedules would change if something were found that they'd want to follow up on sooner. Some docs do brain MRI once a year, some only do brain MRI if signs from CT scans show the need to look at brain further. 

Lhawkins
              Participant

I can only say that I wish my husband had MRI's of the brain. For an entire year he had PET scans, some of which included brain. We now know MRI's seem to be what really picks it up, his melanoma is now in the brain after only having PER scans. I would ask for an MRI every few months, even if we had to pay for it. 

Lhawkins
                Participant

I can only say that I wish my husband had MRI's of the brain. For an entire year he had PET scans, some of which included brain. We now know MRI's seem to be what really picks it up, his melanoma is now in the brain after only having PER scans. I would ask for an MRI every few months, even if we had to pay for it. 

Lhawkins
                  Participant

jennunicorn
                    Participant

With only PET scans, yes mets can be hard to see in the brain and other soft tissue because it soaks up so much of the radioactive sugar. I get PET/CT combo scans as that is the standard where I get treated, so the CT and PET are compared each time, things can be seen in the brain in CT scans and furthur investigated with more detail using an MRI. I totally agree that melanoma patients should have more brain MRIs than what is typically done.

jennunicorn
                      Participant

With only PET scans, yes mets can be hard to see in the brain and other soft tissue because it soaks up so much of the radioactive sugar. I get PET/CT combo scans as that is the standard where I get treated, so the CT and PET are compared each time, things can be seen in the brain in CT scans and furthur investigated with more detail using an MRI. I totally agree that melanoma patients should have more brain MRIs than what is typically done.

jennunicorn
                        Participant

jennunicorn
                        Participant

liberty04281
                          Participant
                            Yes, for your stage CT every 3 months, and MRI for brain once a year. If nothing new shows up after a year, than scans every six months.
                            liberty04281
                            Participant
                              Yes, for your stage CT every 3 months, and MRI for brain once a year. If nothing new shows up after a year, than scans every six months.
                              liberty04281
                              Participant
                                ed williams
                                Participant

Hi Landomn, I have a link for you from 2014 with some of the top guys in the field. I find it very interesting the variety of views. If you look at the right side of other youtube videos you will see other topics related to Melanoma. Best Wishes!!!Ed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoK7TA7Jnjg

Mamapegela
                                    Participant

Thanks so much. Very interesting!

Mamapegela
                                      Participant

Mamapegela
                                        Participant

ed williams
                                        Participant

Hi Landomn, I have a link for you from 2014 with some of the top guys in the field. I find it very interesting the variety of views. If you look at the right side of other youtube videos you will see other topics related to Melanoma. Best Wishes!!!Ed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoK7TA7Jnjg

ed williams
                                          Participant

Janner
                                            Participant

Scans haven't been shown to improve survival (don't kill the messenger) so UofM and other sites nearby often don't do scans unless you show symptoms.  Scans are big business and some sites don't buy into them like others do.  (Not pro or con here, just stating what I've heard/read).  I have a good friend who is stage 3c for 14 years now and hasn't had scans in all that time.  She was at U of M.  So while you can request more frequent scans, I don't think you're going to see the frequency others might see at different sites without some fight. Again, it's not just U of M, there are other sites with similar philosophies.

Janner
                                              Participant

Scans haven't been shown to improve survival (don't kill the messenger) so UofM and other sites nearby often don't do scans unless you show symptoms.  Scans are big business and some sites don't buy into them like others do.  (Not pro or con here, just stating what I've heard/read).  I have a good friend who is stage 3c for 14 years now and hasn't had scans in all that time.  She was at U of M.  So while you can request more frequent scans, I don't think you're going to see the frequency others might see at different sites without some fight. Again, it's not just U of M, there are other sites with similar philosophies.

Janner
                                                Participant

DebbieH
                                                    Participant

Hello there, I believe I am the friend Janner is speaking of!  Yes, stage 3C, no scans after interferon treatment in 2001/2002.  I had a huge problem with U of M's no scan policy too.  I saw everyone else on this site having regular scans and thought I needed them as well.  I contacted Cleveland Clinic and was told they have the same policy.  Argh.  I was going to go somewhere else or pay for them myself but then a fellow patient at U of M, also stage 3, said to look at all the people we knew on the bulletin board who were no longer with us.  We were all diagnosed at the same time, did pretty much the same treatment (not much for us in 2001 but interferon and clinical trials that failed) but most of them were gone.  The only difference was they had all those scans.  U of M is very careful to not say scans cause progression – they do say that anecdotably (hope that is a word) their patients tend to do better.  I have two friends from my U of M days who are also stage 3C, very poor prognosis, and we are all still fine and well today.  As Janner says, don't kill the messenger.  The other two won't even come to this board anymore.  Talk about getting beat up – we did interferon AND no scans – lol.  If you want more scans, more stress, more radiation, etc. then find another place.  Like Janner said, it is big business and most doctors won't turn you down.  Good luck to you.  I had Dr. Redman at U of M, I really liked him.  I haven't seen him in probably 10 years but I email him every year on my NED date to say thank you.

DebbieH, stage 3C, NED nearly 15 years after interferon and no scans

DebbieH
                                                      Participant

Hello there, I believe I am the friend Janner is speaking of!  Yes, stage 3C, no scans after interferon treatment in 2001/2002.  I had a huge problem with U of M's no scan policy too.  I saw everyone else on this site having regular scans and thought I needed them as well.  I contacted Cleveland Clinic and was told they have the same policy.  Argh.  I was going to go somewhere else or pay for them myself but then a fellow patient at U of M, also stage 3, said to look at all the people we knew on the bulletin board who were no longer with us.  We were all diagnosed at the same time, did pretty much the same treatment (not much for us in 2001 but interferon and clinical trials that failed) but most of them were gone.  The only difference was they had all those scans.  U of M is very careful to not say scans cause progression – they do say that anecdotably (hope that is a word) their patients tend to do better.  I have two friends from my U of M days who are also stage 3C, very poor prognosis, and we are all still fine and well today.  As Janner says, don't kill the messenger.  The other two won't even come to this board anymore.  Talk about getting beat up – we did interferon AND no scans – lol.  If you want more scans, more stress, more radiation, etc. then find another place.  Like Janner said, it is big business and most doctors won't turn you down.  Good luck to you.  I had Dr. Redman at U of M, I really liked him.  I haven't seen him in probably 10 years but I email him every year on my NED date to say thank you.

DebbieH
                                                        Participant

dodgedh2
                                                          Participant

I also was treated by Dr. Redman. He released me from Oncology after 5+ years of being NED. He told me that the risk from radiation from the scans was higher  than the Mel returning after 5 years NED. From what he said, recurrance at that point typically indicated a less agressive Mel. He also let me know that if there was any indication of a recurrane that I was priority in coming back. I have a great PC thatmonitos my condition and reacts to any concerns that arise. I had a few scares that resulted in CT scans, but yielded no Mel, only kidney stones. I am now enjoying 8+ years of NED at Stage 4 .

dodgedh2
                                                            Participant

I also was treated by Dr. Redman. He released me from Oncology after 5+ years of being NED. He told me that the risk from radiation from the scans was higher  than the Mel returning after 5 years NED. From what he said, recurrance at that point typically indicated a less agressive Mel. He also let me know that if there was any indication of a recurrane that I was priority in coming back. I have a great PC thatmonitos my condition and reacts to any concerns that arise. I had a few scares that resulted in CT scans, but yielded no Mel, only kidney stones. I am now enjoying 8+ years of NED at Stage 4 .

dodgedh2
                                                              Participant

Mamapegela
                                                                Participant

Hi Debbie-

Thanks this is very helpful!  I am currently trying to decide which way to go- stay with U of M and do the clinical trial (interferon vs Pembro), just watch and wait, or go somewhere else.  How did you do with interferon as far as side effects? 

Thank you for taking the time to respond. 

Best to you-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                  Participant

Hi Debbie-

Thanks this is very helpful!  I am currently trying to decide which way to go- stay with U of M and do the clinical trial (interferon vs Pembro), just watch and wait, or go somewhere else.  How did you do with interferon as far as side effects? 

Best to you-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                    Participant

Hi Debbie-

Best to you-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                      Participant

Thanks Janner.  I understand what you are saying, then I hear others stories that disease was advanced by the time they had scans… it is just scary to think of that.  So I am just in that period of learning and trying to decide the best way forward.  My biggest decision is whether to do the clinical trial of interferon vs Pembro (which would involove very frequent scans..) or watchful waiting.  I wish I had a crystal ball. 

Anyway thank you for taking the time and sharing your knowledge.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                        Participant

Thanks Janner.  I understand what you are saying, then I hear others stories that disease was advanced by the time they had scans… it is just scary to think of that.  So I am just in that period of learning and trying to decide the best way forward.  My biggest decision is whether to do the clinical trial of interferon vs Pembro (which would involove very frequent scans..) or watchful waiting.  I wish I had a crystal ball. 

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                          Participant

Peggy

mjanssentx
                                                                          Participant

I am a 3A and getting PET scans every 3 months for 2 years and MRI once per year.  That goes to PET every six months at 2 years.  I think a bunch of this is based upon how much your insurance will pay.  If you look at the studies that talk about the timeline for reoccurence, the first two years are the most critical with a substantial risk decline at the 2-3 year time frame.

The scans are really a hassle and cause anxiety but at the same time I know if I am going to go to Stage 4 you have a much better chance of catching them with more frequent scans before the tumor load becomes to large.

Best wishes.

Michel

mjanssentx
                                                                            Participant

I am a 3A and getting PET scans every 3 months for 2 years and MRI once per year.  That goes to PET every six months at 2 years.  I think a bunch of this is based upon how much your insurance will pay.  If you look at the studies that talk about the timeline for reoccurence, the first two years are the most critical with a substantial risk decline at the 2-3 year time frame.

The scans are really a hassle and cause anxiety but at the same time I know if I am going to go to Stage 4 you have a much better chance of catching them with more frequent scans before the tumor load becomes to large.

Best wishes.

Michel

mjanssentx
                                                                              Participant

Best wishes.

Michel

Mamapegela
                                                                                  Participant

Thank you Michel.

Yes, I just want to know ASAP about any progression!  Did you do any adjuvant therapy?  I am in that decision making process right now, whether to do something or watchful waiting.

Thank you and best wishes to you too,

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                                    Participant

Thank you Michel.

Yes, I just want to know ASAP about any progression!  Did you do any adjuvant therapy?  I am in that decision making process right now, whether to do something or watchful waiting.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                                                                      Participant

Thank you Michel.

Peggy

dodgedh2
                                                                                      Participant

I am a patient at U of M also. I was first diagnosed at Stage 4 w/unknown primary. As stated, i had CT scans every 3 months for the first couple years, then down to evry  months. At the 5 year mark, I was released from oncology to my PC. This was largely due to me achieving NED status. It was explained that recurrance usually takes place within the first 3 years. After 5 years NED, IF it returns, it is usually not as agressive. At that point, the risk due to radiation from scans is larger than the Mel returning. I just celebrated my 8th year of Stage 4 NED.

dodgedh2
                                                                                        Participant

I am a patient at U of M also. I was first diagnosed at Stage 4 w/unknown primary. As stated, i had CT scans every 3 months for the first couple years, then down to evry  months. At the 5 year mark, I was released from oncology to my PC. This was largely due to me achieving NED status. It was explained that recurrance usually takes place within the first 3 years. After 5 years NED, IF it returns, it is usually not as agressive. At that point, the risk due to radiation from scans is larger than the Mel returning. I just celebrated my 8th year of Stage 4 NED.

Mamapegela
                                                                                            Participant

Wow that is fantastic that you are NED!!  Hearing from people like you gives me so much hope.  I am so happy for you.  Thanks for your input.  I guess that I don't need to be concerned about the MRI once a year since it seems that that is the common practice.

Mamapegela
                                                                                              Participant

Wow that is fantastic that you are NED!!  Hearing from people like you gives me so much hope.  I am so happy for you.  Thanks for your input.  I guess that I don't need to be concerned about the MRI once a year since it seems that that is the common practice.

Mamapegela
                                                                                                Participant

dodgedh2
                                                                                                  Participant

I had one MRI (of the brain) when I was first diagnosed. Since the MRI was clear, they told me that no more MRI's would be necessary. They told me indicators of a brain Mel would be headaches that don't go away, flashes of light, etc. If I encountered any of those symptoms, then they would conduct another MRI. I was seeing Dr. Redman at U of M and I was very comfortable with his care. Of course the anxiety was still there, and still is (to a lesser extent now). Whatever your decision, make sure you're always under the casre of a Mel Specialist. U of M is good because they are very much into research on Mel also.

dodgedh2
                                                                                                    Participant

I had one MRI (of the brain) when I was first diagnosed. Since the MRI was clear, they told me that no more MRI's would be necessary. They told me indicators of a brain Mel would be headaches that don't go away, flashes of light, etc. If I encountered any of those symptoms, then they would conduct another MRI. I was seeing Dr. Redman at U of M and I was very comfortable with his care. Of course the anxiety was still there, and still is (to a lesser extent now). Whatever your decision, make sure you're always under the casre of a Mel Specialist. U of M is good because they are very much into research on Mel also.

dodgedh2
                                                                                                      Participant

dodgedh2
                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics