The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Found METs in brain

Forums General Melanoma Community Found METs in brain

Participant
      Well,
      This was not what I was expecting… I had an MRI in January and it was all clear. I had one yesterday as i have been a little disoriented. They found over 20, some inflamed and all throughout.
      They want me to start full brain radiation next week.
      I am so …..
      Don’t even know the words, scared, mad, confused…so at a loss right now
    Viewing 12 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant
          I wish this had not happened to you. I hope the radiation helps. Melanoma can be a horrible disease. I would be frightened, if I learned I had brain cancer.
            Happygal
            Participant
              Thank you, yes very aggressive disease!!
              But I won’t give up
            mandyjill
            Participant
              Tyais,
              So very sorry for this news. But you can do this. Prayers being sent your way.
              MarkR
              Participant
                I am so sorry to hear this – I really hope the radiation helps you as it has helped so many people
                Best wishes to you
                Mark
                gopher38
                Participant
                  Ouch. I’d be on the floor, so if you’re not there, you’re doing better than I would. I’m hoping the radiation works for you.
                    Happygal
                    Participant
                      On the floor, but knowing I need to get back up.
                      Thank you for all the support
                    jbronicki
                    Participant
                      Oh tyais, I’m so very sorry that is a shock, but I’m praying that radiation works quickly and thoroughly. We are all behind you on this. Many many hugs. Visualize zapping those Mets.
                        Happygal
                        Participant
                          Thank you, yes zap zap away!! Be gone
                          caman
                          Participant
                            The human body can do amazing things. Wishing you the best as you go through the process. Keep us posted
                          sister of patient
                          Participant
                            Hi Tyais – I am so sorry that you are now having to deal with this kind of progression. I want you to know that my sister’s experience was very similar – a clear MRI in Jan. (2016) and a brain full of mets by May. At that point she’d had 2 rounds of ipi/nivo after being taken off Taf/Mek. She did undergo whole brain radiation and was back on Nivo asap after that. Her brain has been clear for over 2 years now and she is coming up on 2 years NED period!!

The radiation treatments were not difficult to take – there was some swelling involved (for her and I believe for most – it’s pretty common) and they usually treat it with steroids. Hopefully, your liver enzyme count will resolve and you can get back on Nivo quickly. The studies definitely show that immuno and radiation in close proximity have a greater effect together than either alone and thank goodness you were able to get in all 4 ipi/nivo combos. Celeste has lots of new info also showing that immuno and radiation simultaneously is absolutely the best way to proceed if possible, so definitely talk to your docs about the amount of steroids they might give you.

I just want you to know that you can do this Tyais, you can get through this and get those little monsters out of your head for good!!!! I wish you the very best results and will be pulling for you, as everyone else here is!!! You take care!!

Barb

Happygal
                              Participant
                                Wow, that is fantastic positive news.
                                Thank you
                              MelanomaMike
                              Participant
                                Aw shoot! or shit if ya dont mind me cussing! Im sorry to hear this right along with you, i have a PET scan coming up wich iv been avoiding for over 2 years now, God only knows what theyll find (fingers crossed) im Mike by the way, stage 4 and in my lungs, currently on Opdivo…
                                Bubbles
                                Participant
                                  Oh, Tyais. So very sorry. Melanoma sucks great big green stinky hairy wizard balls! Yes, Barb is correct. There is tons of data that notes when immunotherapy and radiation is combined (and you have certainly had plenty of immunotherapy lately!!!!) the positive response is greater than when either radiation or immunotherapy are used on their own. You can find lots of articles on my blog (use the search bubble) if you are interested. I know you are tough. Hang in there. I will be holding you in my heart. Yours, celeste
                                  Johnjk04
                                  Participant
                                    Happy gal I have seen some amazing stories on this site. You will be in my prayers, that you are the next incredible story.
                                    casagrayson
                                    Participant
                                      Tyais, you’ve got this! Zap those buggers, kick this stuff to the curb, and come back and post that you are NED! That’s how I’m planning to envision this going down — we’ll make it happen through positive vibes!
                                        Happygal
                                        Participant
                                          Thank you Susan, positivity is one of our best tools. Thank you!!!
                                        sing123
                                        Participant
                                          Tyais, I will be so rooting for you.
                                          GeoTony
                                          Participant
                                            Tyais
                                            I’m so, so sorry to hear you’re news, been away for 10 days before starting another trial and everything changes………. This disease sucks big time, things change so fast, argh!!!
                                            Direct that anger you must be feeling and good luck this week

My thoughts are with you

Tony

Gene_S
                                            Participant
                                              MEET KIM MARGOLIN, M.D.: LEADING THE FIGHT AGAINST MELANOMA – AND WINNING
                                              CURING METASTATIC MELANOMA TO THE BRAIN
                                              “My own particular interest and passion is the treatment of melanoma when it’s metastatic to the brain, which has a very high incidence,” said Margolin.

https://www.cityofhope.org/breakthroughs/kim-margolin-is-leading-the-fight-against-melanoma-and-winning

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics