The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

For all of us – the survivors

Forums General Melanoma Community For all of us – the survivors

Participant

Hi.  I am a stage IV warrior.  Maybe you've seen me around; I am sometimes quiet on the board but I'm here almost daily.  I'm also a triathlete.  I became a runner, and later a triathlete, after I finished Interferon eight years ago.

Hi.  I am a stage IV warrior.  Maybe you've seen me around; I am sometimes quiet on the board but I'm here almost daily.  I'm also a triathlete.  I became a runner, and later a triathlete, after I finished Interferon eight years ago. I became stage IV in 2009.  In the words of Monty Python, "I'm not dead yet."  Far from it.  In four weeks, I will complete the "big daddy" — the Ironman triathlon.  This is a one-day event consisting of 2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking, and 26.2 miles of running.  I am dedicating my race to all of us and raising money for the MRF through the Miles for Melanoma program.  I am not asking you guys to donate – we have all "given at the office," so to speak.  But if you find my story intriguing, if you find it inspiring, or if you just want to kick the *^%$ out of mela-sucka-noma, please consider sharing my fundrasing page with others.  Post it on your Facebook.  Pester your neighbors.  Whatever.  Because I'm really motivated by that last bit – kicking the *^%$ out of mela-sucka-noma.

This link also tells more of my story – it is much more eloquent than my profile, albeit less technical.

http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/katysirovatka/imwi

FOR ALL OF US …

Every one of us reading this post is surviving a melanoma diagnosis, either our own or that of someone we love and cherish deeply.  (And especially those who are surviving the heartbreak of losing that person–my heart goes out to you) 

KatyWI

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant

Wow, what an accomplishment to compete in a triathlon, and to be raising money for melanoma research, and to be fighting the melanoma fight. My husband recently got diagnosed as Stage IV, and you are an inspiration to us.  Thanks for sharing your story, and best of luck on all fronts!  God Bless!  Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
          Participant

Wow, what an accomplishment to compete in a triathlon, and to be raising money for melanoma research, and to be fighting the melanoma fight. My husband recently got diagnosed as Stage IV, and you are an inspiration to us.  Thanks for sharing your story, and best of luck on all fronts!  God Bless!  Valerie (Phil's wife)

MariaH
            Participant

Katy, you are an amazing person!!  I posted your link to my facebook page – best wishes to you!!

Maria

MariaH
              Participant

Katy, you are an amazing person!!  I posted your link to my facebook page – best wishes to you!!

Maria

Gene_S
                Participant

I shared on my facebook also.  I hope this helps with donations and to share your story of hope and resilience as you are a true melanoma warrior.

Judy wife of Gene_S Stage IV

Gene_S
                  Participant

I shared on my facebook also.  I hope this helps with donations and to share your story of hope and resilience as you are a true melanoma warrior.

Judy wife of Gene_S Stage IV

Harry in Fair Oaks
                    Participant

You are the epitome of inspiration.  It was my pleasure to donate enough to meet your goal (I'm sure you'll exceed it by a good margin).

Best wishes,

Harry

lhaley
                        Participant

Sometimes I just wish there was a like button on this site like FB. I so agree with you Harry! 

Katy, I'm glad you are doing well.  I can't imagine even 1 leg of the triathelon any day of my life, even at my healthiest!   I've reposted on FB. Have gotten comments, hope that you receive a donation.  Please keep us up to date!

Linda

MariaH
                          Participant

I have often thought that a "like button" would be nice as well!

MariaH
                            Participant

I have often thought that a "like button" would be nice as well!

lhaley
                              Participant

Sometimes I just wish there was a like button on this site like FB. I so agree with you Harry! 

Katy, I'm glad you are doing well.  I can't imagine even 1 leg of the triathelon any day of my life, even at my healthiest!   I've reposted on FB. Have gotten comments, hope that you receive a donation.  Please keep us up to date!

Linda

Harry in Fair Oaks
                              Participant

You are the epitome of inspiration.  It was my pleasure to donate enough to meet your goal (I'm sure you'll exceed it by a good margin).

Best wishes,

Harry

jag
                                Participant

test

jag
                                  Participant

test

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics