The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Follow-up: Melanoma on my rt thumb nail bed

Forums General Melanoma Community Follow-up: Melanoma on my rt thumb nail bed

Participant

Background…

> Got Diagnosed this June after a missed diagnosis last July 2014; colorless melanoma on the right thumb nail bed.

> Went to Moffitt (Tampa, FL) for second opinion and decided to have initial treatment done there

> Had distal right thumb amputated and sentinal node performed

Results are back… Amputation went as well as can be expected. Tumor 5mm depth and Clark level of 5.0mm. Sentinel node came back 2 of 10 nodes positive for cancer. Current recommendation is a follow up complete lymph node dissection in right arm and then potentially go on a clinical trial.

I have been getting some conflicts on the benefits of the dissection… some people are saying that the full node removal sholdn't be done and I should go directly on a trial… then I hear you cannot go on a trial unless you have all your nodes removed.

All your thought and knowledge are greatly appreciated…

Also, curently thinking of getting a second opinoin at MD Anderson or Sloan.

Juan

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Marianne quinn
        Participant

Juan-my husband had melanoma under his thumbnail too. It's rare and it is thought to be somewhat different than other types of melanoma. My husband had a lymphendectomy and was in a clinical trial of yervoy. He is NED.

i would recommend a lymphendectomy . The only research we found on melanoma of the thumbnail with node involvement was from Australia in 1995. This was before immunotherapy was invented. The study showed increased survival rates in those patients who had a lymphendectomy. 

Whatever decision you make, it will be the right one for you.  Feel free to contact me through this site. Good luck. Marianne

jvictoria
            Participant

Tried messaging you but no replies… I'm at juanvictoria at hotmail.com

jvictoria
              Participant

jvictoria
                Participant

Marianne quinn
                Participant

Juan-my husband had melanoma under his thumbnail too. It's rare and it is thought to be somewhat different than other types of melanoma. My husband had a lymphendectomy and was in a clinical trial of yervoy. He is NED.

i would recommend a lymphendectomy . The only research we found on melanoma of the thumbnail with node involvement was from Australia in 1995. This was before immunotherapy was invented. The study showed increased survival rates in those patients who had a lymphendectomy. 

Whatever decision you make, it will be the right one for you.  Feel free to contact me through this site. Good luck. Marianne

Marianne quinn
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics