The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Flexitouch and new lump?

Forums General Melanoma Community Flexitouch and new lump?

Participant

Last night I found a lump the size of a marble in my left groin, just above the scar from the lymph node dissection I had 2 years ago. I can't see the dermatologist until Sept. 5. I am worried about waiting that long to have it biopsied. How fast does melanoma grow?

Because of the lymph node dissection, I have lymphedema. I use a Flexitouch every night to help control the lymphedema. Now I don't know if I should use it. If this lump is cancer, wouldn't I just be encouraging it to spread?

Last night I found a lump the size of a marble in my left groin, just above the scar from the lymph node dissection I had 2 years ago. I can't see the dermatologist until Sept. 5. I am worried about waiting that long to have it biopsied. How fast does melanoma grow?

Because of the lymph node dissection, I have lymphedema. I use a Flexitouch every night to help control the lymphedema. Now I don't know if I should use it. If this lump is cancer, wouldn't I just be encouraging it to spread?

So, I'm just freaking out, and I have no one to talk to about it. I know there are no real answers to my questions/concerns, but I sure would appreciate some feedback on whether it would be a good or bad idea to use the Flexitouch for the next month+.

Thanks!

Cheri

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

Chari,

Please don't wait until September 5…find a new dermatologist or tell the one you have this is an EMERGENCY!  Melanoma can grow too fast.  Why take the chance?  Good luck!

Tricia

triciad
          Participant

Chari,

Please don't wait until September 5…find a new dermatologist or tell the one you have this is an EMERGENCY!  Melanoma can grow too fast.  Why take the chance?  Good luck!

Tricia

Valentine
              Participant

I did tell them, but they said I was lucky I already had an appointment scheduled for September. Her schedule is full until the end of November. They told me to contact my primary care physician. I can't get in with her until August 13, but based on past experience, I don't think she will be very helpful.

Thanks for your input!

Valentine
                Participant

I did tell them, but they said I was lucky I already had an appointment scheduled for September. Her schedule is full until the end of November. They told me to contact my primary care physician. I can't get in with her until August 13, but based on past experience, I don't think she will be very helpful.

Thanks for your input!

Valentine
                  Participant

Thanks for your input!

triciad
                  Participant

Chari,

Tricia

gabsound
                    Participant
                      Cheri,

If it were me, I would be contacting the surgeon or the oncologist. I think the derm would be send g you on to them anyway.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                      Participant
                        Cheri,

If it were me, I would be contacting the surgeon or the oncologist. I think the derm would be send g you on to them anyway.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                        Participant
                          Cheri,

Julie in Las Vegas

Valentine
                            Participant

Julie,

I used to live in Las Vegas! It was a nice time.

My understanding is that the derm has to biopsy the lump to determine if it is cancer or not. Then I would go to the oncologist, if it is cancer, and then I need a referral to see a surgeon. Way too much protocol to suit me.

I may call the oncologist's office though and ask if I should stop using the Flexitouch just in case. I really don't have anyone who I can go to for lymphedema questions even. Once I got the machine and the compression garments, I have been pretty much on my own.

The sun is shining here, but I feel like it is a dark and gloomy day.

Cheri

Valentine
                              Participant

Julie,

My understanding is that the derm has to biopsy the lump to determine if it is cancer or not. Then I would go to the oncologist, if it is cancer, and then I need a referral to see a surgeon. Way too much protocol to suit me.

I may call the oncologist's office though and ask if I should stop using the Flexitouch just in case. I really don't have anyone who I can go to for lymphedema questions even. Once I got the machine and the compression garments, I have been pretty much on my own.

Cheri

gabsound
                                Participant
                                  Cheri,

Is that the way your insurance works? I don’t think my derm would do a biopsy of a possible lymph node. The surgeon did. I agree, a month seems a long time to wait. Maybe if you contact your primary or the oncologist, they could get things moving a little faster for you either getting in to the surgeon or the dermatologist.

Julie

gabsound
                                  Participant
                                    Cheri,

Is that the way your insurance works? I don’t think my derm would do a biopsy of a possible lymph node. The surgeon did. I agree, a month seems a long time to wait. Maybe if you contact your primary or the oncologist, they could get things moving a little faster for you either getting in to the surgeon or the dermatologist.

Julie

Valentine
                                    Participant

Julie,

No, this has nothing to do with insurance. It is how the local health care system works. All of the lymph nodes have already been removed from that area, so I don't think she would be biopsying a lymph node. It is a lump near the scar from the surgery that removed the lymph nodes.

I did talk to the oncologist's nurse this morning. She couldn't advise me about using the Flexitouch, but she was going to call the dermatolgist office. She was shocked that they wouldn't work me in sooner. So maybe she will get me a sooner appointment, still waiting for the call.

Thanks for your input.

Cheri

Nell
                                      Participant

Hi Cheri–I would certainly encourage you to see your surgeon…you are going to want to have the lump removed anyway..When I had a local reoccurance, my surgeon removed it immediately…it was melanoma, but it was out!!! Blessings to you.

Nell
                                        Participant

Hi Cheri–I would certainly encourage you to see your surgeon…you are going to want to have the lump removed anyway..When I had a local reoccurance, my surgeon removed it immediately…it was melanoma, but it was out!!! Blessings to you.

Nell
                                          Participant

Valentine
                                            Participant

The oncology nurse got me in to see the dermatologist first thing this morning. I am so glad that I called there.

Thanks for your support, all of you who have responded. I just didn't know what to do.

Valentine
                                              Participant

The oncology nurse got me in to see the dermatologist first thing this morning. I am so glad that I called there.

Thanks for your support, all of you who have responded. I just didn't know what to do.

Valentine
                                                Participant

Valentine
                                                  Participant

Julie,

No, this has nothing to do with insurance. It is how the local health care system works. All of the lymph nodes have already been removed from that area, so I don't think she would be biopsying a lymph node. It is a lump near the scar from the surgery that removed the lymph nodes.

I did talk to the oncologist's nurse this morning. She couldn't advise me about using the Flexitouch, but she was going to call the dermatolgist office. She was shocked that they wouldn't work me in sooner. So maybe she will get me a sooner appointment, still waiting for the call.

Thanks for your input.

Cheri

Valentine
                                                    Participant

Julie,

Thanks for your input.

Cheri

gabsound
                                                      Participant
                                                        Cheri,

Julie

Valentine
                                                        Participant

Julie,

Cheri

kelty
                                                        Participant
                                                          So glad you got appt. for future reference, I have found (with other conditions) that contacting your insurer directly about something this urgent can sometimes result in an earlier appointment, or in them finding another doctor with earlier opening.
                                                          kelty
                                                          Participant
                                                            So glad you got appt. for future reference, I have found (with other conditions) that contacting your insurer directly about something this urgent can sometimes result in an earlier appointment, or in them finding another doctor with earlier opening.
                                                              Valentine
                                                              Participant

Kelty,

Thanks for the input, but it really wasn't an insurance issue.

I did get into see the dermatologist, but she wanted a surgeon to biopsy it. She said there were 2 different options for a surgeon, and she would get me in for the soonest appointment. Unfortunately, the consult with the surgeon isn't until August 29. I talked to a lymphatic therapist who recommended that I not use the Flexitouch or even compression garments until I get the results of the biopsy. I am going to call the surgeon's office on Monday and let them know I am willing to come in on short notice for an earlier appointment if they have a cancellation.

It is hard to wait so long!

Cheri

Valentine
                                                                Participant

Kelty,

I did get into see the dermatologist, but she wanted a surgeon to biopsy it. She said there were 2 different options for a surgeon, and she would get me in for the soonest appointment. Unfortunately, the consult with the surgeon isn't until August 29. I talked to a lymphatic therapist who recommended that I not use the Flexitouch or even compression garments until I get the results of the biopsy. I am going to call the surgeon's office on Monday and let them know I am willing to come in on short notice for an earlier appointment if they have a cancellation.

Cheri

Valentine
                                                                  Participant

Kelty,

Cheri

kelty
                                                                  Participant
                                                                Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics