The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

First Choice: Zelboraf denied by insurance company

Forums General Melanoma Community First Choice: Zelboraf denied by insurance company

Participant

Briefly, my husband was diagnosed Stage IV on January 18, 2013. He has had 11 rounds of radiation to his pelvic area for two large masses and a tumor at L1 causing significant pain (1 to go!). He also had cyberknife this past Friday morning for a tumor in his parietal lobe. The plan was to start Zelboraf this coming Wednesday, Feb 13, at Dana Farber. I believe the Zelboraf appears to be a sound, valid first choice of treatment, since Don did test positive for the BRAF mutation.

Briefly, my husband was diagnosed Stage IV on January 18, 2013. He has had 11 rounds of radiation to his pelvic area for two large masses and a tumor at L1 causing significant pain (1 to go!). He also had cyberknife this past Friday morning for a tumor in his parietal lobe. The plan was to start Zelboraf this coming Wednesday, Feb 13, at Dana Farber. I believe the Zelboraf appears to be a sound, valid first choice of treatment, since Don did test positive for the BRAF mutation.

Insurance company says he was 600R instead of 600E and is therefore ineligible. Has anyone else had this experience? We have appealed the decision, and the DFCI doctor has sent supporting documentation that the 600R is clinically identical to the 600E.

Don't these insurance companies know they are dealing with peoples' lives here?

Help?

Janet

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          Janet,

I am BRAF 600D. I have been on and off since Apr 2010 and it has saved my life. Keep pushing. I bet DF will get it through. You can msg me if I can be of further help.

This might be useful:
          http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2407-13-17.pdf

-Amy

NYKaren
            Participant
              Janet, I received my January Zelbarof for $100 using the card provided below.
              If the link doesn’t work, just google Genentech Zelbarof access solutions. I didn’t go through my insurance at all due to some miscommunication with the ins. co. In Dec. I had received it through my ins co’s specialty pharmacy. This card works, do not take no for an answer. If need be, ask Genentech for assistance finding a pharmacy that will accept the card. It worked very easily for me–they ask you 3 or 4 questions and give you a printable card until yours comes in the mail.
              I believe all pharmacy options will be mail-order specialty pharmacies and mine gives free overnight delivery. The first customer-service rep I spoke with didn’t know what to do, but the pharmacist sure did.

http://www.genentech-access.com/zelboraf/hcp

Hope this helps,
              Karen
              Sorry you didn’t know her, but as our beloved Boots would say: Don’t give up–Don’t back down!

NYKaren
              Participant
                If the link doesn’t work, just google Genentech Zelbarof access solutions. I didn’t go through my insurance at all due to some miscommunication with the ins. co. In Dec. I had received it through my ins co’s specialty pharmacy. This card works, do not take no for an answer. If need be, ask Genentech for assistance finding a pharmacy that will accept the card. It worked very easily for me–they ask you 3 or 4 questions and give you a printable card until yours comes in the mail.
                I believe all pharmacy options will be mail-order specialty pharmacies and mine gives free overnight delivery. The first customer-service rep I spoke with didn’t know what to do, but the pharmacist sure did.

Hope this helps,
                Karen
                Sorry you didn’t know her, but as our beloved Boots would say: Don’t give up–Don’t back down!

NYKaren
                Participant

Hope this helps,
                  Karen

POW
                  Participant

Note that the article recommended by Amy was investigating Dabrafenib, not Zelboraf (vemurafenib). However, the authors refer readers to references #5-7 that supposedly demonstrate that vemurafenib works on V600D mutations. You might want to check out those references. 

POW
                    Participant

Note that the article recommended by Amy was investigating Dabrafenib, not Zelboraf (vemurafenib). However, the authors refer readers to references #5-7 that supposedly demonstrate that vemurafenib works on V600D mutations. You might want to check out those references. 

POW
                      Participant

awillett1991
                      Participant
                        Janet,

I am BRAF 600D. I have been on and off since Apr 2010 and it has saved my life. Keep pushing. I bet DF will get it through. You can msg me if I can be of further help.

This might be useful:

-Amy

awillett1991
                        Participant
                          Janet,

This might be useful:

-Amy

bikerwife
                          Participant

Lynn been on zelobraf never paid a penny. Call 800-530-3083 this is genetech ss to care foundation

God be with you

bikerwife
                            Participant

Lynn been on zelobraf never paid a penny. Call 800-530-3083 this is genetech ss to care foundation

God be with you

bikerwife
                              Participant

God be with you

Janet, I meant what I wrote about reading my email to them. Appeal the first three people who tell you no, and get it in writing so your onc can contradict it.
                                I have heard about the 5 weeks in hell from IPI, but for a 1 in 4 chance of killing Don’s Mel I would sure consider it. Keep fighting for tumor targeting and be on the lookout for a contingent fee lawyer.
                                Keep us up with what happens. Get your doctor to put it inwriting that BRAF positive, no matter the address indicates that it would be efficacious.
                                John
                                  NYKaren
                                  Participant
                                    Wow John, your advice sounds terrific. Thank you for paying it forward. Janet, if your hubby has commercial insurance (not Medicare)
                                    he should be able to get the Zelboraf Genentech access card. When I get to work, I’ll post the exact name. All I had to do was answer 2 or 3 questions; did I have commercial insurance, and was my income below a certain level, maybe $100,000. I would try to get the card then get the Zel ASAP while you duke it out w/the insurance co.
                                    Also, as someone else mentioned, DF should be VERY experienced with this. Be persistent and don’t worry about “bothering” whomever you’re calling; this is their job!
                                    Keep us posted,
                                    Karen
                                    NYKaren
                                    Participant
                                      Wow John, your advice sounds terrific. Thank you for paying it forward. Janet, if your hubby has commercial insurance (not Medicare)
                                      he should be able to get the Zelboraf Genentech access card. When I get to work, I’ll post the exact name. All I had to do was answer 2 or 3 questions; did I have commercial insurance, and was my income below a certain level, maybe $100,000. I would try to get the card then get the Zel ASAP while you duke it out w/the insurance co.
                                      Also, as someone else mentioned, DF should be VERY experienced with this. Be persistent and don’t worry about “bothering” whomever you’re calling; this is their job!
                                      Keep us posted,
                                      Karen
                                      NYKaren
                                      Participant
                                        Keep us posted,
                                        Karen
                                      Janet, I meant what I wrote about reading my email to them. Appeal the first three people who tell you no, and get it in writing so your onc can contradict it.
                                      I have heard about the 5 weeks in hell from IPI, but for a 1 in 4 chance of killing Don’s Mel I would sure consider it. Keep fighting for tumor targeting and be on the lookout for a contingent fee lawyer.
                                      Keep us up with what happens. Get your doctor to put it inwriting that BRAF positive, no matter the address indicates that it would be efficacious.
                                      John
                                      John
                                      POW
                                      Participant

I got an email from Janet last night. Don came through his craniotomy in good shape. His symptoms have improved and he is now in rehab to regain his strength. Equally, important, with the help of our own Tim Turnham and a lot of effort by the staff and Dana Farber, Genentech granted Don compassionate use of Zelboraf and he will be starting that tomorrow. Hooray! Let's hope and pray that Don has a terrific response!

awillett1991
                                          Participant
                                            So glad he will get a chance to try it. Thx for the update.
                                            awillett1991
                                            Participant
                                              awillett1991
                                              Participant
                                              POW
                                              Participant

I got an email from Janet last night. Don came through his craniotomy in good shape. His symptoms have improved and he is now in rehab to regain his strength. Equally, important, with the help of our own Tim Turnham and a lot of effort by the staff and Dana Farber, Genentech granted Don compassionate use of Zelboraf and he will be starting that tomorrow. Hooray! Let's hope and pray that Don has a terrific response!

POW
                                                Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics