The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

First 3 month scan bad – considering options – thoughts?

Forums General Melanoma Community First 3 month scan bad – considering options – thoughts?

Participant

Hi All – I had a nodule removed from my lung 3 months ago. My scan yesterday showed a 6 mm in the other lung that had increased from 2 mm 3 months ago, and 2 new 3 mm nodules. The report also comments on additional smaller nodules, possibly new.

So much for having a short break from this.

My oncologist is suggesting I start on Yervoy now.

I suggested more surgery but he said there are probably too many to get and possibly other microscopic that would be missed.

Hi All – I had a nodule removed from my lung 3 months ago. My scan yesterday showed a 6 mm in the other lung that had increased from 2 mm 3 months ago, and 2 new 3 mm nodules. The report also comments on additional smaller nodules, possibly new.

So much for having a short break from this.

My oncologist is suggesting I start on Yervoy now.

I suggested more surgery but he said there are probably too many to get and possibly other microscopic that would be missed.

I also suggested waiting a month to see if it grows more to be sure it is a met. He thinks it definitely is.

Is my presentation the target audience for Yervoy?  Is that the obvious anwer or are there other options?

Thanks, Steven.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Lisa13
        Participant

Hi Steven,

Sorry to hear you have some new nodules, but thankfully, they are small right now.

I had up to 15 nodules in my lungs a few months ago, all from 3mm to 8mm and 1 was 1.2cm.  The small ones within 6 weeks had grown, but only by half a milimeter. Although I had no biopsy on any of these spots in my lungs, my oncologist did not want to wait to watch them grow anymore, so he put me on Yervoy suspecting the cancer had spread.

You could wait a month to see if they grow, but if they do continue to grow, you've given them more time to do so. Yervoy needs time to work and while your potential mets are small, this might be a good time to use it.  In my opinion, I think this is a good opportunity to use Yervoy and if it doesn't work, there are more options afterwards. (IL-2, etc).  If this was 1 spot, I would wait, but since there appears to be several, I'd want to do something immediately. Just my 2 cents worth ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of luck to you.  I just finished my 4th infusion of Yervoy last week and have my scans on Hallowe'en.

Lisa – Stage 4 – lung mets

Lisa13
          Participant

Hi Steven,

Sorry to hear you have some new nodules, but thankfully, they are small right now.

I had up to 15 nodules in my lungs a few months ago, all from 3mm to 8mm and 1 was 1.2cm.  The small ones within 6 weeks had grown, but only by half a milimeter. Although I had no biopsy on any of these spots in my lungs, my oncologist did not want to wait to watch them grow anymore, so he put me on Yervoy suspecting the cancer had spread.

You could wait a month to see if they grow, but if they do continue to grow, you've given them more time to do so. Yervoy needs time to work and while your potential mets are small, this might be a good time to use it.  In my opinion, I think this is a good opportunity to use Yervoy and if it doesn't work, there are more options afterwards. (IL-2, etc).  If this was 1 spot, I would wait, but since there appears to be several, I'd want to do something immediately. Just my 2 cents worth ๐Ÿ™‚

Best of luck to you.  I just finished my 4th infusion of Yervoy last week and have my scans on Hallowe'en.

Lisa13
            Participant

Hi Steven,

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics