The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

finding information on childhood melanoma is proving difficult

Forums General Melanoma Community finding information on childhood melanoma is proving difficult

Participant

My daughter was diagnosed stage IIIb at the age of 4. She is 6 now and has had a WLE to remove the melanoma as well as a lymphadenectomy. In October 2011 she completed 1 year of interferon and remains NED at this time. We have been trying to research information since her diagnosis in July 2010 and have not been able to find much of anything. Most of the information about melanoma as it applies to children under the age of 10 has come from only two paraent that we have met along the way who also have children who were diagnosed at a very young age. Her Drs.

My daughter was diagnosed stage IIIb at the age of 4. She is 6 now and has had a WLE to remove the melanoma as well as a lymphadenectomy. In October 2011 she completed 1 year of interferon and remains NED at this time. We have been trying to research information since her diagnosis in July 2010 and have not been able to find much of anything. Most of the information about melanoma as it applies to children under the age of 10 has come from only two paraent that we have met along the way who also have children who were diagnosed at a very young age. Her Drs. are as informative as they can be but even the info they provide mainly based on adults. I would like to find other parents who are willing to share their stories and any information resources they have found. We are very greatful for the knowlege we have aquired but feel like there must be more out there. It is simply difficult to grasp that there is no why or how this happens

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant

My heart goes out to you having to deal with this with your little one. I found this article informative (my son was 20 when he was diasgnosed which is consiered the upper end of "pediatric")

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797485/

Becky
          Participant

My heart goes out to you having to deal with this with your little one. I found this article informative (my son was 20 when he was diasgnosed which is consiered the upper end of "pediatric")

Becky
            Participant

rlaraia
              Participant

Sorry for the late response to your post, but I don't visit the site as often as I used to.  My daughter was diagnosed 3B at age 7 and followed the same treatment you described. She is now 12 and coming up on 5 years NED. There are a few parents of kids with melanoma who keep in touch via facebook / email and would be happy to talk to you about our experiences post-treatment.  Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Bo

rlaraia
                Participant

Sorry for the late response to your post, but I don't visit the site as often as I used to.  My daughter was diagnosed 3B at age 7 and followed the same treatment you described. She is now 12 and coming up on 5 years NED. There are a few parents of kids with melanoma who keep in touch via facebook / email and would be happy to talk to you about our experiences post-treatment.  Feel free to email me at [email protected]

Bo

rlaraia
                  Participant

Bo

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics