The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Finally made a 5 year milestone . ..

Forums General Melanoma Community Finally made a 5 year milestone . ..

Participant

This coming January, 2014, it will be 13 years since I was first diagnosed with melanoma on my upper left arms.  Five recurrrences, including progression to stage IV in 2007 via a solitary lung nodule, and five treatments later including interferon, radiation, peptide vaccines, Ipilumimab, and pulsed IL2, I am happy to say that today, I reached the milestone of being free of disease for 5 years.

There was a time I could have never imagined reaching this point but with the help of some wonderful health care professionals that have supported me along this journey including Drs Jai Balkissoon, Jeffrey Weber, and David Minor,  I am here to validate that there is hope!

But without a doubt, this MPIP family was the greatest source of support throughout the years providing invaluable information, education, and friendships that will last a lifetime.

Please know there is hope – we have more ammunition to fight melanoma than ever before and there are more and more long term survivors out there.

Mary

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoshF
        Participant
          Mary-
          Outstanding!!! I wish you many more years of NED! You certainly deserve it and offer hope for everyone here!

Josh

vivian
            Participant

Mary,

Thank you so much for posting this, and many, many congratulations for reaching 5 years!   It is always wonderful to be reminded that there is much hope, even at stage IV.  Every once in a while we all need a story like yours to bring a positive recharge!

Lear 

vivian
              Participant

Mary,

Thank you so much for posting this, and many, many congratulations for reaching 5 years!   It is always wonderful to be reminded that there is much hope, even at stage IV.  Every once in a while we all need a story like yours to bring a positive recharge!

Lear 

vivian
                Participant

Mary,

Lear 

JoshF
                Participant
                  Mary-
                  Outstanding!!! I wish you many more years of NED! You certainly deserve it and offer hope for everyone here!

Josh

JoshF
                  Participant
                    Mary-

Josh

hbecker
                    Participant

Mary, so glad to hear such good news!! Thanks for posting.

Hazel

hbecker
                      Participant

Hazel

hbecker
                        Participant

Hazel

kpcollins31
                          Participant

Always great to hear this type of news. Congratulations!

Kevin

kpcollins31
                            Participant

Kevin

kpcollins31
                              Participant

Kevin

Rebecca and Bob
                                Participant

Hi Mary,

I have a question for you. Bob just passed 4 years 2 months Stage IV and he is still on 4-6 month scan schedule from NIH. I thought people got moved out a little further after a certain amount of time. If you don't mind me asking what is your schedule like? I was curious if your doctors have said anything to you about chances of reoccurence or have moved you scan visits further out. I also see you did IL-2. I know this is a tricky desease so we want to stay viligent but I was also wondering if we are being too vigilent.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                  Participant

Hi Mary,

I have a question for you. Bob just passed 4 years 2 months Stage IV and he is still on 4-6 month scan schedule from NIH. I thought people got moved out a little further after a certain amount of time. If you don't mind me asking what is your schedule like? I was curious if your doctors have said anything to you about chances of reoccurence or have moved you scan visits further out. I also see you did IL-2. I know this is a tricky desease so we want to stay viligent but I was also wondering if we are being too vigilent.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                      Participant

Mary,

I also meant to congratulate you on your terrific milestone! Thanks for speading hope.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                        Participant

Mary,

I also meant to congratulate you on your terrific milestone! Thanks for speading hope.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                          Participant

Mary,

Rebecca

MaryD
                                            Participant

Hi Rebecca,

I have been on a six m-nth scan schedule but now that I have made the 5 year mark, we are going to be moving to a yearly scan.    Have to admit, it will feel a little strange because I've been at this for a long time but I have had a great deal of radiation and all my doctors feel that this makes sense – and I agree at this point.

No one can really predict what my chances of recurrence will be since my case was always somewhat slow moving (my local onc is ultra positive and says "I bet it won't come back"  – not sure about that!!) .   So , I'll just be as vigilant as I always have been and try and stay as healthy as possible.

I did a "pulsed" version of IL-2 which is more of a maintenance dose (like they do after biochemo) as I used it as an adjuvant therapy to prevent a recurrence.   It seems to have really kept mel in check.

Good luck to Bob!

Mary

MaryD
                                              Participant

Hi Rebecca,

I have been on a six m-nth scan schedule but now that I have made the 5 year mark, we are going to be moving to a yearly scan.    Have to admit, it will feel a little strange because I've been at this for a long time but I have had a great deal of radiation and all my doctors feel that this makes sense – and I agree at this point.

No one can really predict what my chances of recurrence will be since my case was always somewhat slow moving (my local onc is ultra positive and says "I bet it won't come back"  – not sure about that!!) .   So , I'll just be as vigilant as I always have been and try and stay as healthy as possible.

I did a "pulsed" version of IL-2 which is more of a maintenance dose (like they do after biochemo) as I used it as an adjuvant therapy to prevent a recurrence.   It seems to have really kept mel in check.

Good luck to Bob!

Mary

MaryD
                                                Participant

Hi Rebecca,

Good luck to Bob!

Mary

Rebecca and Bob
                                                Participant

Hi Mary,

Thanks,

Rebecca

HopefulOne
                                                  Participant

Congratulations, Mary. That's fantastic news!! Continued blessings to you!

HopefulOne
                                                    Participant

HopefulOne
                                                      Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

Just found this.  and GLAD I did.  So happy for you Dear Lady.  Do  you still make  it to Kris's fund raisers?

JerryfromFauq
                                                          Participant

Just found this.  and GLAD I did.  So happy for you Dear Lady.  Do  you still make  it to Kris's fund raisers?

MaryD
                                                              Participant

Thanks Jerry!   Haven't made it to the golf tournament in a couple of years (timing wasn't right) but was back there at  different times to visit Kathie and Kris   – and to visit Dr. Weber of course  ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope all is well,

Mary

MaryD
                                                                Participant

Thanks Jerry!   Haven't made it to the golf tournament in a couple of years (timing wasn't right) but was back there at  different times to visit Kathie and Kris   – and to visit Dr. Weber of course  ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope all is well,

Mary

JerryfromFauq
                                                                  Participant

My timing has been off to, but still follow.  I  will aalways remember Dean and Kris.  He went to stage 4 a month or 2 after I did.  I wanted to meet him so baddly.  He died the while I was  on my way to Florida  that year.  I'm still "doing amazingly well" for a dead man that  was told he'd never even walk again! the told melanoma had him and the thought hed was gooing to ride a  horse!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                    Participant

My timing has been off to, but still follow.  I  will aalways remember Dean and Kris.  He went to stage 4 a month or 2 after I did.  I wanted to meet him so baddly.  He died the while I was  on my way to Florida  that year.  I'm still "doing amazingly well" for a dead man that  was told he'd never even walk again! the told melanoma had him and the thought hed was gooing to ride a  horse!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                      Participant

MaryD
                                                                        Participant

Hope all is well,

Mary

JerryfromFauq
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics