The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Final Dose of HD Interferon….check!

Forums General Melanoma Community Final Dose of HD Interferon….check!

Participant

So, I know there were quite a few folks that started the one month HD Interferon around the same time as me.  Yesterday was my last HD and I'm SO GLAD it's over.  Lots of side effects, more sleep than I've had in months but I'm done!  I'm hoping that everyone else came through ok!  I also wanted to say thanks for all the advice and nice words.  Every little bit helps!

On to the next challenge!!!

Wendi

So, I know there were quite a few folks that started the one month HD Interferon around the same time as me.  Yesterday was my last HD and I'm SO GLAD it's over.  Lots of side effects, more sleep than I've had in months but I'm done!  I'm hoping that everyone else came through ok!  I also wanted to say thanks for all the advice and nice words.  Every little bit helps!

On to the next challenge!!!

Wendi

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Congrats, Wendi!  Here's hoping those side effect disappear quickly.  Are you doing the 11 month self-injections?

Fen

Wendi Lynn
            Participant

Yes, I am doing the 11 months self injections too.  Hoping that I'll get some of my energy back and see my family for a change.  My routine for the last month was work, drip, bed….didn't see much of anyone or anything.  Glad to be back in the world of the living and looking forward to 2011!

Happy New Year!!!

Wendi Lynn
              Participant

Yes, I am doing the 11 months self injections too.  Hoping that I'll get some of my energy back and see my family for a change.  My routine for the last month was work, drip, bed….didn't see much of anyone or anything.  Glad to be back in the world of the living and looking forward to 2011!

Happy New Year!!!

Fen
              Participant

Congrats, Wendi!  Here's hoping those side effect disappear quickly.  Are you doing the 11 month self-injections?

Fen

dian in spokane
                Participant

Great news Wendi! Will you go on to self injections now? or are you done? I see by your profile pic that you are into the snow! Maybe you'll get your energy back quick enough to get out and enjoy some of the snow that seems to be all over right now!

Good Luck, and Happy New Year.

Dian

dian in spokane
                  Participant

Great news Wendi! Will you go on to self injections now? or are you done? I see by your profile pic that you are into the snow! Maybe you'll get your energy back quick enough to get out and enjoy some of the snow that seems to be all over right now!

Good Luck, and Happy New Year.

Dian

JakeinNY
                    Participant

Congrats. Wendi.

Now take the best care of that immune system of yours!!!

Eat to live and live, and live, and live.

JakeinNY
                      Participant

Congrats. Wendi.

Now take the best care of that immune system of yours!!!

Eat to live and live, and live, and live.

akls
                        Participant

Good Job Wendi!  It's a great milestone to hit!  I completed my year in March 2010 and I'm feeling back to my old self with the exception of one thing..an intolerance to cold.  Too bad I live in Michigan!  Good Luck!

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                          Participant

Good Job Wendi!  It's a great milestone to hit!  I completed my year in March 2010 and I'm feeling back to my old self with the exception of one thing..an intolerance to cold.  Too bad I live in Michigan!  Good Luck!

Amy S. in Michigan

Melanoma Mom
                            Participant

Yay, Wendi! Just in time to ring in 2011!

Our 14 year old son is coming to a close with his HD Interferon as well. He has six more days and will have his last treatment Friday, January 7th. He has done amazingly well and has little side effects. He is a bit more tired and his appetite is diminished, but other than that, he is full speed ahead! He has been going out to the movies, dinner, etc. after treatments ….. really blowing our minds with how strong he is! He will be doing the low-dose shots. You?

Wendi Lynn
                                Participant

Wow!  Oh to be young again!  Good for him!  I couldn't even function after treatment, so you and he are very blessed.  Yes, I'm doing the low-dose shots….beginning Monday.  Here's hoping for a much easier time for me and a continued easy time for you son!

Melanoma Mom
                                  Participant

We certainly have our ups and downs. He had a friend over New Year's Eve and I think he was super-tired from his treatment that day. We were all watching TV and the next thing I know, he gets up and goes to his room without saying anything. I go to check on him and he is crying and inconsolable. He gets really angry when he hits rock bottom so he directs his anger at us, his parents, unfortunately. We don't take it personally, although it does feel like a knife in the gut. Teenage hormones AND Interferon = major mood swings! It was NOT a good New Year's Eve for us. 

Ninja
                                    Participant

Hi Melanoma Mom.

I just read your post about your New Year's eve. Please keep in mind that one of the worst side effects of INF is depression. My husband completed the entire 12-month treatment back in 2005 (he was diagnosed at stage 3A) and during the entire period he trated the major depression (that started more or less at the end of the high-dose phase) with medication.  Just wanted to let you know.
                                      All the best.

Ninja (Husband diagnosed in June 2004 – 1 year INF NED)

Ninja
                                      Participant

Hi Melanoma Mom.

I just read your post about your New Year's eve. Please keep in mind that one of the worst side effects of INF is depression. My husband completed the entire 12-month treatment back in 2005 (he was diagnosed at stage 3A) and during the entire period he trated the major depression (that started more or less at the end of the high-dose phase) with medication.  Just wanted to let you know.
                                        All the best.

Ninja (Husband diagnosed in June 2004 – 1 year INF NED)

Melanoma Mom
                                        Participant

We certainly have our ups and downs. He had a friend over New Year's Eve and I think he was super-tired from his treatment that day. We were all watching TV and the next thing I know, he gets up and goes to his room without saying anything. I go to check on him and he is crying and inconsolable. He gets really angry when he hits rock bottom so he directs his anger at us, his parents, unfortunately. We don't take it personally, although it does feel like a knife in the gut. Teenage hormones AND Interferon = major mood swings! It was NOT a good New Year's Eve for us. 

Wendi Lynn
                                          Participant

Wow!  Oh to be young again!  Good for him!  I couldn't even function after treatment, so you and he are very blessed.  Yes, I'm doing the low-dose shots….beginning Monday.  Here's hoping for a much easier time for me and a continued easy time for you son!

Melanoma Mom
                                          Participant

Yay, Wendi! Just in time to ring in 2011!

Our 14 year old son is coming to a close with his HD Interferon as well. He has six more days and will have his last treatment Friday, January 7th. He has done amazingly well and has little side effects. He is a bit more tired and his appetite is diminished, but other than that, he is full speed ahead! He has been going out to the movies, dinner, etc. after treatments ….. really blowing our minds with how strong he is! He will be doing the low-dose shots. You?

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics