The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Feeling good…and guilty

Forums General Melanoma Community Feeling good…and guilty

Participant

Greeting warriors,

I have not posted in quite a while.  Recent losses and ongoing battles have made me feel like an outsider, because I have been doing so well lately.  Perhaps it's survivor guilt.  I dropped all immunotherapy back in late November as it appeared I was progressing again after a year on ipi/nivo combo therapy.  Had the major surgery in mid-December to remove spleen which had blown up triple normal size, infested with two very large masses combined to about the size of a cantaloupe.  The surgeon also removed two other tumors in the vicinity while I was on the table.  Now, after fully recovering from surgery and being off all drug therapy, I must say I am feeling great which makes me uncomfortable when I read how others continue to suffer.  Sure, I have been through the war already, but entering the 5th year of the battle, when statistics had predicted I would like be dead by now just feels weird.  But of course my family is happy. So I hope that this can somehow continue to give hope to those still suffering.  For the record, radiation and surgery have been the primary ways I have controlled the disease.  I have been a non or only partial responder to just about everything we have thrown at the beast.  I know my battle is not over.  Recent scans show that I have some new growths, but it seems as compared to the aggressive nature of my past tumors which have mostly always been very large, it's in slow-motion now.  Perhaps the immunotherapies are providing some longer-term benefits?  I laughed at the results and said to onc that until we are measuring in inches, I'm not too concerned.  So in closing, please know I am cheerleading for the success stories, and praying and projecting positive energies to those in the thick of battle, whether I post or not.  This board saved my life, and I am thankful to each and every member here for the knowledge, insight, and emotional support they provide.  With Aloha.

Gary

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Spl25
        Participant

Sounds like you have pretty "indolent" disease, which is fantastic. Do you know if your mel has any of the big 3 mutations?

jennunicorn
          Participant

Great to hear from you Gary and so glad you're doing well. The guilt of doing well when knowing others aren't doing well is hard and I think it's something most cancer patients/survivors deal with at some point. Hope the new stuff stays at a snails pace so you have lots more time to feel great.

Hugs from SF,

Mark_DC
            Participant

Gary — is great to hear from you, I had been worried! I am grateful to you for your help and advice on this board, also your bravery – you were so matter of fact about your last surgery, when it would have been really daunting for me (I think you referred to it as a grapefruit!). I dont know if i am a responder or not to immunotherapy, seems mixed. So your story gives me some hope. And, like you say, maybe immunotherapy is providing some benefit even if needs to be combined with surgery. thanks for posting and good luck, Mark

Bubbles
              Participant

I've found that folks on this blog are here for others through the good, the bad and the ugly.  Sharing the good…even if it is only partial….is always welcome!!!  Hang in there!!  Good to hear from you!  Enjoy your spring!  love, c

snow white
                Participant

Awe Gary, so good to see your name pop up and even better to know that you are doing well!  You have fought very hard to be where you are at, I say enjoy it!!! 

xo Jen

Mat
                  Participant

Gary, glad to hear that you're doing well.  As I'm sure you know, one look at your kids is usually an effective remedy for survivors' guilt.

BrianP
                      Participant

Well said Mat.

Glad you are doing well Gary.  I think most of us that are well connected to this site share your feelings about survivor's guilt when the times are good.  As you know also it is so uplifting to login and hear others doing well when you yourself are having tough times.  Gives you a little more hope which is no small matter in the battle.

jenny22
                      Participant

I couldnt' have said it better than everyone here did…especially Mat and Brian….all those emotions are sooo understandable…..but please, Gary,  enjoy your good news….and better health!!!!!

Jenny

Polymath
                        Participant

Sincerest thanks for all who replied.  I'll try and do better in accepting the recent win.  

You are all family to me.

Gary

Momofjake
                          Participant

Gary,

Enjoy!! I think everyone one here loves/needs to hear people winning the battle! Thank you for sharing good news. It's a big roller coaster ride for us all–let's all celebrate good days!! 

Happy healthy day!

kerri

Viewing 8 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics