The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Feedback on trials being offered

Forums General Melanoma Community Feedback on trials being offered

Participant

My husband Don was given info on three trials he might qualify for if he doesn't have brain mets. We've started reading through the packets, but it's kind of mind-boggling right now.

I was wondering if anyone has been on or has any good information on the following trials: 

BRAF/MEK

Ipi with Bevacizumab

Ipi with GM-CSF

I appreciate any feedback, experiences, or information you can provide. Thank you!

My husband Don was given info on three trials he might qualify for if he doesn't have brain mets. We've started reading through the packets, but it's kind of mind-boggling right now.

I was wondering if anyone has been on or has any good information on the following trials: 

BRAF/MEK

Ipi with Bevacizumab

Ipi with GM-CSF

I appreciate any feedback, experiences, or information you can provide. Thank you!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

I think that the ipi with GM-CSF trial is probably the best of the 3. Is the following the trial
          that you are considering?
          http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01134614?term=GM-CSF+melanoma+boston&rank=2

It would be interesting to see if one could have GM-CSF independently from other drugs. Lately, I
          have noticed that a lot of stage IV patients who have had GM-CSF are able to keep melanoma at bay
          for very long periods of time.

Frank from Australia

Janis B.
            Participant

I'm in an OncoVex trial, with GM CSF alone as the control drug.  The research nurse told me that GM CSF trials ended at Phase II and it appears to be used only as a control drug in melanoma trials now.  The FDA clinical trial website reports no final results for any of the GM CSF trials, which can be due to a number of factors that are listed on the site.

boot2aboot
              Participant

Janis,

How is that Oncovex withGM-CSFworking out??? i am really looking into this for my  treatment

boots

boot2aboot
                Participant

Janis,

How is that Oncovex withGM-CSFworking out??? i am really looking into this for my  treatment

boots

Janis B.
                  Participant

Just started last week.  As the trial progresses, hopefully my new tumor will shrink and disappear!  One thing I can confirm – after interferon, the side effects (2 days of flu-like symptoms) are a piece of cake, a walk in the park.  Fell free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

Janis B.
                    Participant

Just started last week.  As the trial progresses, hopefully my new tumor will shrink and disappear!  One thing I can confirm – after interferon, the side effects (2 days of flu-like symptoms) are a piece of cake, a walk in the park.  Fell free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

shellebrownies
                      Participant

Janis,

I was just looking at that trial, but my husband would be excluded because he has bone metastases…

shellebrownies
                        Participant

Janis,

I was just looking at that trial, but my husband would be excluded because he has bone metastases…

Janis B.
                          Participant

I'm in an OncoVex trial, with GM CSF alone as the control drug.  The research nurse told me that GM CSF trials ended at Phase II and it appears to be used only as a control drug in melanoma trials now.  The FDA clinical trial website reports no final results for any of the GM CSF trials, which can be due to a number of factors that are listed on the site.

shellebrownies
                            Participant

Yes, Frank, that is one of the trials Don has been offered. The issue is that only half of the patients will actually recieve the GM-CSF with the Ipi. The other half only receive the Ipi. Not sure if those are chances we want to take considering how quickly the mel seems to be spreading.

However, it still looks better than the other Ipi trial. I'm still trying to read through the BRAF MEK paperwork to make more sense out of it…

dawn dion
                              Participant

When I was doing ipi I believe I was told that was no placebo for stage IV.  I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing that.    As far as BRAF/MEK goes I am currently on this trial – from my experiences and from the information I have gotten at Moffitt it is a great trial.   Even though I was told that the information on the trial was written for a 6th grader to understand I found it very taxing trying to wade through it.

shellebrownies
                                Participant

Dawn,

That's good to know that this trial is showing success. I thought I'd heard somewhere (perhaps my onco) that it has about an 80% positive response rate for varying lengths of time. Now to find out whether he's BRAF positive or not! 🙂

shellebrownies
                                  Participant

Dawn,

That's good to know that this trial is showing success. I thought I'd heard somewhere (perhaps my onco) that it has about an 80% positive response rate for varying lengths of time. Now to find out whether he's BRAF positive or not! 🙂

dawn dion
                                    Participant

When I was doing ipi I believe I was told that was no placebo for stage IV.  I could be wrong but I think I remember hearing that.    As far as BRAF/MEK goes I am currently on this trial – from my experiences and from the information I have gotten at Moffitt it is a great trial.   Even though I was told that the information on the trial was written for a 6th grader to understand I found it very taxing trying to wade through it.

shellebrownies
                                      Participant

Yes, Frank, that is one of the trials Don has been offered. The issue is that only half of the patients will actually recieve the GM-CSF with the Ipi. The other half only receive the Ipi. Not sure if those are chances we want to take considering how quickly the mel seems to be spreading.

However, it still looks better than the other Ipi trial. I'm still trying to read through the BRAF MEK paperwork to make more sense out of it…

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

I think that the ipi with GM-CSF trial is probably the best of the 3. Is the following the trial
                                        that you are considering?
                                        http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01134614?term=GM-CSF+melanoma+boston&rank=2

It would be interesting to see if one could have GM-CSF independently from other drugs. Lately, I
                                        have noticed that a lot of stage IV patients who have had GM-CSF are able to keep melanoma at bay
                                        for very long periods of time.

Frank from Australia

washoegal
                                        Participant

My question would be what is the control arm of the trial.  If any of them offer a second drug as the control arm I would go for that one rather than a placebo.

washoegal
                                          Participant

My question would be what is the control arm of the trial.  If any of them offer a second drug as the control arm I would go for that one rather than a placebo.

shellebrownies
                                              Participant

On the BRAF-MEK, the BRAF only is the control; the other two arms are BRAF-MEK in differing doses.

The Ipi-GM-CSF is randomized 2 arms, one being ipi alone and one being ipi with GM-CSF.

The Ipi-Bev trial everyone gets both meds, but at varying doses.

So, none of them have a placebo control, which is good.

shellebrownies
                                                Participant

On the BRAF-MEK, the BRAF only is the control; the other two arms are BRAF-MEK in differing doses.

The Ipi-GM-CSF is randomized 2 arms, one being ipi alone and one being ipi with GM-CSF.

The Ipi-Bev trial everyone gets both meds, but at varying doses.

So, none of them have a placebo control, which is good.

rbruce
                                                Participant

Has your Oncologist determined his specific mutation yet?  Is he BRAF positive?  BRAF + is about 60-70% of melanoma cases. I was hoping for a BRAF trial of the new "inhibitor drugs" which are showing good results in UCSF's trial, but found out recently that I am not BRAF + but  instead "wild type" NRAS+ (about 20% of melanomas) so I'm back to square one looking for a trial.  Keep the faith, everyday something new is coming along after 13 years of NO new melanoma drugs.   God bless.  Robert

shellebrownies
                                                    Participant

rbruce,

Don had a biopsy of one of the liver lesions today so they can confirm Stage IV (for the trials, they already know he is) and check for BRAF mutation. Apparently the sample from his original tumor was not prepared properly and could not be accurately tested for the mutation (rolls eyes at local hospital).

As for you, if you are willing to travel in to San Fran, here is a trial actively recruiting that you may want to look into if you haven't already:

Efficacy and Safety Study of OncoVEXGM-CSF Compared to GM-CSF in Melanoma http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT00769704term=melanoma&recr=Open&state1=NA%3AUS%3ACA&rank=1&show_locs=Y#locn

Thanks again for your response, and best of luck with finding a trial.

Michelle

shellebrownies
                                                      Participant

rbruce,

Don had a biopsy of one of the liver lesions today so they can confirm Stage IV (for the trials, they already know he is) and check for BRAF mutation. Apparently the sample from his original tumor was not prepared properly and could not be accurately tested for the mutation (rolls eyes at local hospital).

As for you, if you are willing to travel in to San Fran, here is a trial actively recruiting that you may want to look into if you haven't already:

Efficacy and Safety Study of OncoVEXGM-CSF Compared to GM-CSF in Melanoma http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT00769704term=melanoma&recr=Open&state1=NA%3AUS%3ACA&rank=1&show_locs=Y#locn

Thanks again for your response, and best of luck with finding a trial.

Michelle

rbruce
                                                      Participant

Has your Oncologist determined his specific mutation yet?  Is he BRAF positive?  BRAF + is about 60-70% of melanoma cases. I was hoping for a BRAF trial of the new "inhibitor drugs" which are showing good results in UCSF's trial, but found out recently that I am not BRAF + but  instead "wild type" NRAS+ (about 20% of melanomas) so I'm back to square one looking for a trial.  Keep the faith, everyday something new is coming along after 13 years of NO new melanoma drugs.   God bless.  Robert

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics