The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Feedback – Nivolumab vs Ipilimumab CheckMate 238 Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Feedback – Nivolumab vs Ipilimumab CheckMate 238 Trial

Participant

Hi All,

Thinking of getting on this Trial… anyone one it? Thoughts / Words of Wisdom?

Stage IIIb Melanoma

Recent Axila Disection

Thanks!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

At 3b I would say go for it. I've had both seperately at stage 4. They are the standard for that stage. Actually I'm still on the nivo.

Artie

arthurjedi007
          Participant

At 3b I would say go for it. I've had both seperately at stage 4. They are the standard for that stage. Actually I'm still on the nivo.

Artie

arthurjedi007
            Participant

Artie

dentholla
              Participant

Juan, my husband Todd is currently in this trial – week 8 at Texas Oncology / Baylor Dallas.  He is also stage lllb and we felt this was the best thing going for our situation.  While we don't know which drug he is on he has his suspicions.   He is 39 and we have 3 young boys (7, 5, 5) and working to stay NED and fight this beast.

The trial itself has been pretty uneventful for us with little to no side effects.  I observed a little fatigue after infusion days but that is to be expected.  He’s had a little change in stool but nothing requiring OTC drugs to address.  His bloodwork is within normal to expected ranges so far and praying it stays that way.  What I think is funny is he often remarks about his superhuman healing powers now.  His incision line healed up almost overnight.  Before the first infusion it was really red and irritated (neckline where he shaves) and within a few days the redness went away and he has had zero irritation for 8 weeks now.  Funny.  J  Also, he wears a Batman shirt and cape to every infusion – it’s his lucky shirt and the nurses/doctors/patients love it. 

I hope our experience helps you make an informed decision.  We feel very blessed to be a part of this trial and want to help try to determine if this course of treatment will aid in prevention of reoccurrence.  We are certainly hoping that’s the case for him.  Best wishes to you.

~Kristi

dentholla
                Participant

Juan, my husband Todd is currently in this trial – week 8 at Texas Oncology / Baylor Dallas.  He is also stage lllb and we felt this was the best thing going for our situation.  While we don't know which drug he is on he has his suspicions.   He is 39 and we have 3 young boys (7, 5, 5) and working to stay NED and fight this beast.

The trial itself has been pretty uneventful for us with little to no side effects.  I observed a little fatigue after infusion days but that is to be expected.  He’s had a little change in stool but nothing requiring OTC drugs to address.  His bloodwork is within normal to expected ranges so far and praying it stays that way.  What I think is funny is he often remarks about his superhuman healing powers now.  His incision line healed up almost overnight.  Before the first infusion it was really red and irritated (neckline where he shaves) and within a few days the redness went away and he has had zero irritation for 8 weeks now.  Funny.  J  Also, he wears a Batman shirt and cape to every infusion – it’s his lucky shirt and the nurses/doctors/patients love it. 

I hope our experience helps you make an informed decision.  We feel very blessed to be a part of this trial and want to help try to determine if this course of treatment will aid in prevention of reoccurrence.  We are certainly hoping that’s the case for him.  Best wishes to you.

~Kristi

dentholla
                  Participant

~Kristi

jvictoria
                    Participant

Thanks everyone for the great replies… I signed the papers yesterday. I hope I get in before the window closes next month.

Nmgn8019
                        Participant
                          Hi Juan….I am enlisted as well. I am from The Netherlands, male and 35 years of age.
                          Good luck!
                          Nmgn8019
                          Participant
                            Hi Juan….I am enlisted as well. I am from The Netherlands, male and 35 years of age.
                            Good luck!
                            Nmgn8019
                            Participant
                              Good luck!
                            jvictoria
                            Participant

Thanks everyone for the great replies… I signed the papers yesterday. I hope I get in before the window closes next month.

jvictoria
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics