The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

fake tan

Forums General Melanoma Community fake tan

Participant

Hi!

I am sorry about silly question, but..

Is it safe to use fake spray tan ( airbrush)?

It is spring and I want to look healthy glow , like any normal person:(

Thank you

Hi!

I am sorry about silly question, but..

Is it safe to use fake spray tan ( airbrush)?

It is spring and I want to look healthy glow , like any normal person:(

Thank you

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Wilfred
        Participant

Natasha, no question is silly, the answer to your question should include some comments however. I am not a doctor, nor am I a scientist; I am a person, a husband, a father, a grandfather, a friend, a fighter. There may not be any issue with applying a "fake spray tan", but why? Fake tans are a result of DHA and there seems to be no reason to worry about DHA. BUT what about the other chemicals in the bottle or can? You are going to breath this stuff, maybe you are going to get it in places you don't want me to see. Why?

Is the beautiful lady in your profile pic really you? If she is you why do you want to cheapen her. I will bet you that I can look at ten women and tell you wich ones have the fake tan 95% of the time. Do you think people are going to say "Wow, check out Natasha, what a great tan" or, maybe, "Natasha is a beautiful person, but what is she thinking with a fake tan like that"?

I think that tanning in any form is addicting. You know that person you see at the pool, the one that's 45 but looks like 70. Wrinkles, sagging skin, skin that looks like an old leather coat. If you start down the road witha bottle tan, will you switch over to a tanning salon?

Come on, Natasha, you are better than that…your healthy glow comes from within, from your loving heart, from your vivacious personality, not from a bottle.

Thinking good things about you, Wilfred

natasha
            Participant

Thanks , Wilfred , for all your support.

Yes , I agree tanning is addiction in fact. And I agree fake tan looks unnatural.

I will try to be myself, the way I am. Yes ,it is me on this picture on my wedding day 2.5 years ago .

I am married to the wonderful man who is very supportive.

Thanks again and I wish you all the best as well

Natasha

natasha
              Participant

Yes , I agree tanning is addiction in fact. And I agree fake tan looks unnatural.

I will try to be myself, the way I am. Yes ,it is me on this picture on my wedding day 2.5 years ago .

Natasha

natasha
                Participant

Natasha

Wilfred
                Participant

Natasha, no question is silly, the answer to your question should include some comments however. I am not a doctor, nor am I a scientist; I am a person, a husband, a father, a grandfather, a friend, a fighter. There may not be any issue with applying a "fake spray tan", but why? Fake tans are a result of DHA and there seems to be no reason to worry about DHA. BUT what about the other chemicals in the bottle or can? You are going to breath this stuff, maybe you are going to get it in places you don't want me to see. Why?

Is the beautiful lady in your profile pic really you? If she is you why do you want to cheapen her. I will bet you that I can look at ten women and tell you wich ones have the fake tan 95% of the time. Do you think people are going to say "Wow, check out Natasha, what a great tan" or, maybe, "Natasha is a beautiful person, but what is she thinking with a fake tan like that"?

I think that tanning in any form is addicting. You know that person you see at the pool, the one that's 45 but looks like 70. Wrinkles, sagging skin, skin that looks like an old leather coat. If you start down the road witha bottle tan, will you switch over to a tanning salon?

Come on, Natasha, you are better than that…your healthy glow comes from within, from your loving heart, from your vivacious personality, not from a bottle.

Wilfred
                  Participant

Richard_K
                    Participant

For another view on Wilfred's reply, I was at a Melanoma Symposium yesterday at the Yale Cancer Center.  During one of the Q&A sessions, this very question was asked.  The dematologist replied that there is no evidence to suggest that there is any skin danger from spray-on tans.

Dick 

natasha
                        Participant

Thank you ,Dick , for this information.

natasha
                          Participant

natasha
                            Participant

Wilfred
                              Participant

Dick, I am not going to argue your point, but why should someone with melanoma do anything "un-natural" to their skin. Look at Natasha's picture in her wedding dress. She is beautiful and radiant.

Wilfred
                                Participant

Dick, I am not going to argue your point, but why should someone with melanoma do anything "un-natural" to their skin. Look at Natasha's picture in her wedding dress. She is beautiful and radiant.

Richard_K
                                  Participant
                                    I fully understand your point, I was simply trying to offer another perspective.
                                    Dick
                                    Richard_K
                                    Participant
                                      I fully understand your point, I was simply trying to offer another perspective.
                                      Dick
                                      Richard_K
                                      Participant
                                        Dick
                                        Wilfred
                                        Participant

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

Dick, I also agree with you that a spray tan poses no threat, at least according to my oncologist.  As a social worker I also know a little about addictions  and that tanning is an addiction for many people. However…sometimes a person is going to to tan regardless of the threat and a safe "tan" is a better option. No everyone thinks a tan is ugly…I have never been able to tan due to my irish/german fair skin. I have never had a spray tan either…beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and until such a time when the world realizes that tanning beds and tanning in general is accepted as dangerous and society stops doing it there must be an alternative. -Lynn

LynnLuc
                                            Participant

Dick, I also agree with you that a spray tan poses no threat, at least according to my oncologist.  As a social worker I also know a little about addictions  and that tanning is an addiction for many people. However…sometimes a person is going to to tan regardless of the threat and a safe "tan" is a better option. No everyone thinks a tan is ugly…I have never been able to tan due to my irish/german fair skin. I have never had a spray tan either…beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and until such a time when the world realizes that tanning beds and tanning in general is accepted as dangerous and society stops doing it there must be an alternative. -Lynn

LynnLuc
                                              Participant

Richard_K
                                              Participant

For another view on Wilfred's reply, I was at a Melanoma Symposium yesterday at the Yale Cancer Center.  During one of the Q&A sessions, this very question was asked.  The dematologist replied that there is no evidence to suggest that there is any skin danger from spray-on tans.

Dick 

Richard_K
                                                Participant

Dick 

Linny
                                                  Participant

Whether or not you chose to spray tan is a matter of personal choice. But do you really want to look like those girls on Jerseylicious? Their tans all look fake. 

Your profile picture is gorgeous. And, your natural coloring looks darker than any tan I've ever had…LOL. If you head to the beach, you'll see a number of pale people and they don't look out of place — not like they used to back in the 70's.

If you really want a healthy glow, just head to your local make up counter and buy some bronzer to apply to your cheeks. smiley

Linny
                                                    Participant

Whether or not you chose to spray tan is a matter of personal choice. But do you really want to look like those girls on Jerseylicious? Their tans all look fake. 

Your profile picture is gorgeous. And, your natural coloring looks darker than any tan I've ever had…LOL. If you head to the beach, you'll see a number of pale people and they don't look out of place — not like they used to back in the 70's.

If you really want a healthy glow, just head to your local make up counter and buy some bronzer to apply to your cheeks. smiley

Linny
                                                      Participant

Webbie73
                                                        Participant
                                                          First of all you are normal! I agree with what Wilfred said. I did want to add my thoughts. Did you know that with a spray tan or self tanners any “imprefection” on you skin whether a scar, freckle mole etc will become more pronounced? With a fake tan will you be able to keep track of your “spots”? I would think not.
                                                          You are a pretty woman and in my opinion don’t need to be tan to be beautiful.
                                                          Webbie73
                                                          Participant
                                                            First of all you are normal! I agree with what Wilfred said. I did want to add my thoughts. Did you know that with a spray tan or self tanners any “imprefection” on you skin whether a scar, freckle mole etc will become more pronounced? With a fake tan will you be able to keep track of your “spots”? I would think not.
                                                            Webbie73
                                                            Participant
                                                              CLPrice31
                                                              Participant

I'm 25, stage III malignant melanoma, and I understand WHY you would want to get a spray tan. However, I encourage you to embrace your own glow. For me, I have 2 goals in regards to melanoma. 1) Beat it. 2) Tell the world that melanoma is not "just" skin cancer. If I were to go for a spray tan, I feel like that would go against everything I'm preaching. Why not feel beautiful in your own skin? I sure do. πŸ™‚

Hope you reconsider! Either way, I'm sure you'll be beautiful.

CLPrice31
                                                                Participant

I'm 25, stage III malignant melanoma, and I understand WHY you would want to get a spray tan. However, I encourage you to embrace your own glow. For me, I have 2 goals in regards to melanoma. 1) Beat it. 2) Tell the world that melanoma is not "just" skin cancer. If I were to go for a spray tan, I feel like that would go against everything I'm preaching. Why not feel beautiful in your own skin? I sure do. πŸ™‚

CLPrice31
                                                                  Participant

CLPrice31
                                                                    Participant

CLPrice31
                                                                      Participant

CLPrice31
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics