The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Experience with a new or changed mole being benign

Forums General Melanoma Community Experience with a new or changed mole being benign

Participant
      After my second primary melanoma, I have myself spinning. I had pictures from 2011 of my moles and even though I’ve been seeing a dermatologist for a skin check annually I’ve identified 8 completely new or changed moles. Everything I find on the internet leads me to believe more melanomas. I’m 44 and had my last child 11 years ago so should not be hormonal.
      I know I need to talk to my doctor but just wondering if anyone has had a benign experience from a changed or new mole?

Thank you for your time.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bobman
        Participant
          Yeah Danielle I’ve had both new and changing lesions/moles come back as nothing more than various degrees of atypical. That said, I am a lesion producing machine, with more than 500 at any given time, and I routinely get anything new, or changing biopsied. Since you have already had 2 primaries,  you are in a higher risk group for getting another one. I’ve had 14 primaries to date, and anytime I see change, or a brand new one pops up on me I make it go away quick. Biopsies are peace of mind for me. Even when it comes back as melanoma,  the faster my response has been seems to be working for me. I have literally had lesions come up one week,  that weren’t there the week before,  and those, in my case were more problematic.

When in doubt , and given your history,  make it go away. At the very least,  get with your dermatologist for a looks. Usually with a multiple primary history,  they’ll biopsy it no question.

Stay vigilant,  and stay in touch!

Good luck,

Bob

Bobman
            Participant
              You’re quite welcome.  That’s what this site is all about. I’ve been around here about 10 years now, and it has been a saving grace for me. Countless caring,  giving,  and highly educated people giving no nonsense,  real sink your teeth into that experiences,  and cutting edge treatments available. A finer bunch of folks can’t be found.

I’ll share a real “spinning” event I had this past summer.

I had just finished a round of 9 biopsies of my most likely suspects,  and was feeling pretty darn good since nothing came back worse than some severe atypical, and only two out of the nine needed a little more margins.  For me that’s great!

While healing up from that round, and taking a walk around my yard, I felt something on my behind kind of itching.  I reached back there and felt something that definitely didn’t belong there. Quickly took a photo of it, and my jaw hit the ground.  It was was the biggest,  and blackest spot I have ever seen on me. I could not believe with my constant searching of my body that I could have ever overlooked something like that. A pure meltdown shortly followed. I mean I sent pictures of my ass and this new “undoubtedly ” worse lesion in my history to family,  and friends.  It looked so horrible and wrong.  Went to a 10 on my anxiety level. The other shoe finally dropped. I couldn’t stop looking at it, and finally started touching it a little bit, and it felt a little…sticky. I felt like I could actually peel it off, so I did.

Turned out it was a bunch of adhesive from my lower back biopsies that had bunched up, and formed the most perfect looking classic melanoma I had ever seen!

I embarrassingly had to tell everyone in my circle of course,  and we were all relieved.

More than one told me I should wash my ass more often!

Aloha,

Bob

Danielle T
            Participant
              Thank you Bob:) i too have an atypical mole pattern. I do plan on talking to my dermatologists and have learned my lesson about being more vigilant

I’m sorry you’ve had 14 primaries. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me

Danielle T
              Participant
                Haha! That’s really funny!
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics