The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Exercise and PET scan

Forums General Melanoma Community Exercise and PET scan

Participant
      Hello- My instructions for PET scan are to eliminate strenuous exercise the day before the test. What constitutes strenuous?

Cindy

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        poppymac
        Participant
          hi,anything you find strenuous like running or lifting  if muscle or nerves are inflamed they might show uptake on pet scan,i was told i had melanoma in bowel and appendix it turned out to be false alarm

ThinkingPositive
            Participant
              Thanks Poppymac,

I want to avoid the false positives too! Below, I found a 2014 article with more recommended restrictions https://tech.snmjournals.org/content/42/1/5:

“…exercises such as jogging, cycling, weightlifting, strenuous housework, yard work, and sexual activity be avoided for a minimum of 24 h (ideally 48 h) before the scan to minimize uptake of radiotracer in skeletal muscles. Patients are also advised not to chew gum for 24 h before the study to avoid activation of masticatory muscles.”

The article also gave recommendations on staying warm prior to the scan. It caused me to rethink walking from the parking garage to the hospital in winter weather. I will plan on taking the visitor shuttle bus.

Have a nice day! Cindy

Edwin
              Participant
                Can you social distance on the visitor shuttle?   I walked 10 to 12 minutes to my cancer center for my PET scans in North Dakota winters.    I wore warm clothes.  My cancer center recommended eating a high protein, low carbohydrate meal the evening before my PET scans.  I avoided strenuous exercise for 36 hours before a PET scan;  I did walk to work.
          Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics