The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Everything can be cancer…..always a waiting game

Forums General Melanoma Community Everything can be cancer…..always a waiting game

Participant

Had burning with urination this morning and then blood on tissue (some blood on tissue Sat night – thought it was due to relations with my husband), classic signs of UTI. Called oncologist and they sent me to Family Dr. for urine test. Second trip to restroom of the day, before going to Dr., there was blood in toilet after urination. Have had multiple UTI's in my 43 years, but never had blood in toilet. Went to Dr and test did show some infection (said small amount) and lots of blood. Of course I took to google and one of the signs of bladder cancer is gross hematuria (visible blood in urine). Only post I could find on here in reference to bladder cancer and symptoms she had blood in urine.

I called Onc and told him what test results were and he told me to take the 500 mg of Cipro for 2 days only and take dificid – due to 3 occurances of cdiff in last 3 months.

Now I am concerend that the mel could be in my bladder. Last scan was August 8th (or 9th, can't remember). It was clear except for spot on liver that was doing better. Nodule in lungs we are watching – no uptake on PET. Spots on spine are stable. 

Any thoughts. I go to Onc tomorrow, but I think it is just for Xgeva shot.  I will ask nurse if a ultrasound or other scan may be in order.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

Sorry to hear  you're going through this. I had a similar scare with a nagging cough that just wouldn't go away last year. And this is where I am thankful for frequent doctor visits. I had mentioned the cough to my oncologist and he didn't seem to concerned because my CT scan results were clean. When I saw the surgeon for a follow up two months later she also had said my scan had been clean and to not worry. And, they were right — it ended up being nothing to worry about. I hope it's the same for you.

I believe that bladder cancer is relatively rare and melanoma in the bladder might even be more rare.

Perhaps your oncologist feels it's more likely to be a bladder infection and that's why he gave you the script for Cipro. If it is a bladder infection, you should see an improvement in short order.

Also, certain foods such as beets can cause discoloration of urine. So before you head to the doctor, you may want to write down what you've had to eat and bring that list with you tomorrow.

The positive thing to remember is that you had a good scan in August.

Linny
          Participant

Sorry to hear  you're going through this. I had a similar scare with a nagging cough that just wouldn't go away last year. And this is where I am thankful for frequent doctor visits. I had mentioned the cough to my oncologist and he didn't seem to concerned because my CT scan results were clean. When I saw the surgeon for a follow up two months later she also had said my scan had been clean and to not worry. And, they were right — it ended up being nothing to worry about. I hope it's the same for you.

I believe that bladder cancer is relatively rare and melanoma in the bladder might even be more rare.

Perhaps your oncologist feels it's more likely to be a bladder infection and that's why he gave you the script for Cipro. If it is a bladder infection, you should see an improvement in short order.

Also, certain foods such as beets can cause discoloration of urine. So before you head to the doctor, you may want to write down what you've had to eat and bring that list with you tomorrow.

Linny
            Participant

washoegal
              Participant

Could quite possible be an infection or kidney stones/crystals. If you are not having any pain but blood you might have crystals in your kidneys which you can pass without pain but still will cause bleeding.  I have that problem.  And yes, I can see blood in my urine at times.  Found them with an ultrasound.

Mary,

Stage 3

washoegal
                Participant

Could quite possible be an infection or kidney stones/crystals. If you are not having any pain but blood you might have crystals in your kidneys which you can pass without pain but still will cause bleeding.  I have that problem.  And yes, I can see blood in my urine at times.  Found them with an ultrasound.

Mary,

Stage 3

washoegal
                  Participant

Mary,

Stage 3

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

So many things can be the cause.  YEs, worry, (What good would it be to say not to?)  Just don't freak out until

you know more about the cause.  I would expect an antibiotic to be the first thing tried.  X-rays are ultrasound can give an indication as to what the problem might be.  Learn first.  Then figure out how you want to attack whatever the problem  is.  We always think of Mel first, but just living can be a cause of so much.

Linny
                        Participant

Jerry's right. Just because we have melanoma doesn't make us immune to normal ailments. Whenever I don't feel well I remind myself of that. And, pray a lot. smiley

Michelem
                          Participant

I'm not the melanoma patient – my husband is. But I can tell you that over the years I have had cystitis of the type that causes scary bloody urine several times. I want to say it's called hematatic cystitus but this might be incorrect.  In any case, just wanted to let you know that there are definitely routine UTI's that have this very upsetting symptom.  Wishing you the best!

Michelem
                            Participant

I'm not the melanoma patient – my husband is. But I can tell you that over the years I have had cystitis of the type that causes scary bloody urine several times. I want to say it's called hematatic cystitus but this might be incorrect.  In any case, just wanted to let you know that there are definitely routine UTI's that have this very upsetting symptom.  Wishing you the best!

Michelem
                              Participant

Linny
                                Participant

Jerry's right. Just because we have melanoma doesn't make us immune to normal ailments. Whenever I don't feel well I remind myself of that. And, pray a lot. smiley

Linny
                                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

So many things can be the cause.  YEs, worry, (What good would it be to say not to?)  Just don't freak out until

you know more about the cause.  I would expect an antibiotic to be the first thing tried.  X-rays are ultrasound can give an indication as to what the problem might be.  Learn first.  Then figure out how you want to attack whatever the problem  is.  We always think of Mel first, but just living can be a cause of so much.

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics