The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Entocourt (steroids) and Yervoy (ipi)

Forums General Melanoma Community Entocourt (steroids) and Yervoy (ipi)

Participant

My Dr. told me to start taking my Entocourt today and I'm a bit leery of taking it.  I know the risks of ipi, but other than a tender to the touch area on my lower left side (above my pelvis), I have no symptoms.  He believes it may be the start of inflammation in my colon/intestine and wants to keep it under control. 

My Dr. told me to start taking my Entocourt today and I'm a bit leery of taking it.  I know the risks of ipi, but other than a tender to the touch area on my lower left side (above my pelvis), I have no symptoms.  He believes it may be the start of inflammation in my colon/intestine and wants to keep it under control. 

I know this drug effects the gut, but it also mentions "weakening of the immune system" which is not what I want to have when I'm so close to finishing this treatment.  Can this steriod take away the effect of ipi or do they not even know this yet?  I see my Dr. next week, so I'll probably take it and see where I stand next week.  I'm currently still battling a cold I've had for a week, so I don't want to weaken my immune system even more.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        KatyWI
        Participant

One of the studies I read indicated that those who needed steroids to manage Ipi side effects were NOT any less likely to benefit from ipi.  Data shows that the same is not true with other immune drugs like IL-2.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why it would work that way, but it seems like good data – just goes to show that doctors don't understand even a sliver of "everything" about this disease.

Hope ipi is a knockout for you!

Katy

NYKaren
            Participant

Hi Lisa,

As you know, I'm a big advocate of Entocort, and it helped me tremendously.  It was like night and day–you need to take it w/food.

good luck!

NYKaren
              Participant

Hi Lisa,

As you know, I'm a big advocate of Entocort, and it helped me tremendously.  It was like night and day–you need to take it w/food.

good luck!

NYKaren
                Participant

Hi Lisa,

good luck!

KatyWI
                Participant

One of the studies I read indicated that those who needed steroids to manage Ipi side effects were NOT any less likely to benefit from ipi.  Data shows that the same is not true with other immune drugs like IL-2.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me why it would work that way, but it seems like good data – just goes to show that doctors don't understand even a sliver of "everything" about this disease.

Katy

KatyWI
                  Participant

Katy

mom3girlsFL
                    Participant

Hey Lisa!

Just wanted to let you know I've been following your journey and I'm pulling for you!!!  You are doing great!

I would probably do what you are thinking of – take the med and talk to the doc next week.  If the doc appt was further down the road maybe a different approach.

Anyway, keep it up and I hope your cold goes away!

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
                      Participant

Hey Lisa!

Just wanted to let you know I've been following your journey and I'm pulling for you!!!  You are doing great!

I would probably do what you are thinking of – take the med and talk to the doc next week.  If the doc appt was further down the road maybe a different approach.

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
                        Participant

Hey Lisa!

Laurie

ErikaHouston2
                          Participant

I took Entocort for about 7 months for my Crohn's disease. It is not a systemic steroid, it is basically GI tract specific. It is estimated only 5 to 10% gets into your blood flow.  My Dr. described it as almost coating your GI tract with a steroid cream, vs. like Prednisone which is systemic and causes all the horrible side effects like moon face, moodiness, etc.

There was no concern with this drug and my melanoma history.

I now take other, stronger immune system suppressents and there is more concern. Unfortunately for me, I had to pick the lesser of two evils, and get my Crohn's disease under control so I now take Imuran (Entocort wasn't working).

In your case, I think you should have nothing to worry about since it is not a systemic drug.

Good luck.

ErikaHouston2
                            Participant

I took Entocort for about 7 months for my Crohn's disease. It is not a systemic steroid, it is basically GI tract specific. It is estimated only 5 to 10% gets into your blood flow.  My Dr. described it as almost coating your GI tract with a steroid cream, vs. like Prednisone which is systemic and causes all the horrible side effects like moon face, moodiness, etc.

I now take other, stronger immune system suppressents and there is more concern. Unfortunately for me, I had to pick the lesser of two evils, and get my Crohn's disease under control so I now take Imuran (Entocort wasn't working).

In your case, I think you should have nothing to worry about since it is not a systemic drug.

Good luck.

ErikaHouston2
                              Participant

Good luck.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics