The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Encouragement for stage 3 patients…

Forums General Melanoma Community Encouragement for stage 3 patients…

Participant

…I never know if I should post good news at this point but you know what, good news is good news.  For newcomers, I was diagnosed as a 3A patient 2.75 years ago.  I was one of the last patients to get Interferon.  At the time, it was the only approved treatment for Stage 3 patients…but I survived it after a pretty miserable 2015.

Anyway, after 2 years of quarterly PET scans and annual brain MRIs I continue to show no signs of reoccurrence (NED if you will)….got my last scans 2 weeks ago and did the happy dance.  My underarm still hurts where they did the full nodal removal but I can live with that.  More importantly my confidence and attitude toward life in general has improved dramatically.  My son got married a few months back…and my wife look forward to planning an extended life together after 32 years of marriage.

Just wanted to post to encourage others that have been diagnosed recently and are scared to death like we were.  I used to cry myself to sleep for almost 2-3 months after being diagnosed, lost 25 pounds, and clouds were out everyday.  Looking forward to Yellowstone next month…

Stay strong.

Michel

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MovingOn
        Participant

Congrats! Well deserved. Enjoy.

I've also started to enjoy a positive outlook again. Can't wait for the Fall to spend more time outdoors (with sunscreen on of course, and mostly on cloudy days).

AvaL
          Participant

Thanks so much for posting. Hubby stage 3 and always good to hear others further out… thanks you! Out of curiosity how deep was your primary? X

WithinMySkin
            Participant

Congrats, Michel! Good news is ALWAYS worth celebrating!! Enjoy every second of Yellowstone and those clear skies ahead!

Lauren

malui
                Participant

Good news is always welcome to hear.  Thanks for the post.  I am 33 male and currently in Stage 3B.  I have a wife and 2 kids and think everyday if I will be able to watch my kids grow up.  Hearing stories that it is possible always lifts my spirits. 

Bubbles
                Participant

Good for you!!  Enjoy your trip!!  c

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics