The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Elevated liver enzymes?

Forums General Melanoma Community Elevated liver enzymes?

Participant
      Hello,

As some may have followed, I developed hypothyroidism after my third ipi/nivo treatment. for stage IV melanoma (mets in liver and lungs) I’m taking meds for it now.

My nurse said that my liver levels are elevated, but not enough to be too concerned about yet. Just wondering if anyone knows when I should become concerned?

My ALT at last test was 51 U/L. It’s crept it’s way up from 17 to 51 over the last four months.

My AST at last test was 49 U/L. It’s crept it’s way up from 22 to 49 over the last four months.

Any weigh in on when I should be concerned would be great. I go for my scans Saturday and am hopeful for good a good response!

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Hi Jennifer, so they have four grades with grade one being the lowest or least dangerous. If you go to “Immune related hepatotoxicity” in following link open up figure 7 in new window and blow up image you will see grade 2, is 3 to 5 times (x) ULN ( upper limit normal) and then grade 3 which is 5 to 20 ULN and finally grade 4 greater than 20 times Upper limit of normal. I hope this helps!!! Ed https://academic.oup.com/annonc/article/28/suppl_4/iv119/3958159
            MelMel
            Participant
              Ed is correct with the grades. The day of my 3rd combo infusion, my AST was 119 and ALT 157 and my oncologist refused to give me my 3 rd infusion. Three weeks earlier both values were well below normal (AST less than 30 and ALT equal or less than 35). Within a week after what would have been my 3 rd infusion, my AST was 167 and AST 260. Two days later, my AST was 363 and AST 434. Off to the hospital I went and this was followed by two one week hospital stays plus months of high dose steroids including an organ rejection drug. Basically, things change rapidly once liver injury occurs. Hopefully, you have an easier time.
              Melanie
              MelMel
              Participant
                That should have read ALT 260 and ALT 434.
              AMcReader
              Participant
                Hi Jennifer, If your doctor isn’t concerned, I wouldn’t be concerned. If it gets too high they can always get you on steroids to calm everything down.

For reference, my ALT and AST went CRAZY after my third dose of Ipi/Nivo…my ALT shot up to 2600 (no, that’s not a spare extra zero). I ended up in the hospital for 5 days and was on steroids for months but everything is back in range now.

Take care!

DoubleTT
                Participant
                  Hi there Jennifer
                  I had the same thing we I was on Opdivo. I had lost my Thyroid to thyroud cancer in 2011 so was already on Synthroid high dose meds. Fast forward to 2016 and I get melanoma. Half way through Opdivo liver enzymes were going up. Smart docs at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in Toronto Canada did a bunch of extra thyroid testing my free T4 numbers were climbing way too high which makes the liver go crazy. So we set a course to get my TSh FreeT4 T3 numbers where they should be and voila! my liver was happy again. I also was banned from Tylenol. Some peeps on Opdivo have issues with liver enzymes if taking a lot of Tylenol. Hope this helps…Hugs Tracey
                  Tsvetochka
                  Participant
                    I have had elevated liver enzymes a few times. I don’t remember the exact numbers offhand. My doctor has me take a round of liver support medicine and some supplements, and it goes back down.
                Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics