The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Elective surgery while on B-RAF

Forums General Melanoma Community Elective surgery while on B-RAF

Participant

Just started B-RAF last week.

I of course will speak to my oncologist next week about this but I was wondering if anyone knows if having elective surgery while on B-RAF would be allowed.  I've read through all the paperwork and it doesn't say anything in there.

I guess it's not really elective, except for the timing. I would be electing to have it done now if I could, but I'm not looking to get butt cheek implants for vanity sake.

Just started B-RAF last week.

I of course will speak to my oncologist next week about this but I was wondering if anyone knows if having elective surgery while on B-RAF would be allowed.  I've read through all the paperwork and it doesn't say anything in there.

I guess it's not really elective, except for the timing. I would be electing to have it done now if I could, but I'm not looking to get butt cheek implants for vanity sake.

I had a unilateral mastecomy due to melanoma in the breast back in 2007, I had one follow up surgery in 2009 to replace the tissue expander with a real implant. I've never finished my reconstruction. I would like to make the reconstructed side look "real" and make the other side match, if you know what I mean!  😀

I imagine it would be a fairly simple surgery(from what I remember my plastic surgeon telling me at the time) and I know it's covered under my insurance as it's part of the reconstruction process I started years ago and fairly simple recovery(at least compared to some of my surgeries).

Any thoughts?

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV on B-RAF

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Oh, shoot, Kellie, go for it if your surgeon says it's ok – and I can't think of any reason why he would say it wouldn't be.   I had a lumpectomy in '03 for breast cancer and have been thinking about the same thing. 

Let me know what your surgeon says and good luck with it if you decide to do it.

Fen

Fen
          Participant

Oh, shoot, Kellie, go for it if your surgeon says it's ok – and I can't think of any reason why he would say it wouldn't be.   I had a lumpectomy in '03 for breast cancer and have been thinking about the same thing. 

Let me know what your surgeon says and good luck with it if you decide to do it.

Fen

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics