The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Drum-roll please…. Today I celebrate 10-years NED! YAY!

Forums General Melanoma Community Drum-roll please…. Today I celebrate 10-years NED! YAY!

Participant

Diagnosed on my 39th birthday (in October), and had the wide-excision on Dec. 8, 2000.  There was melanoma in-situ found, but the doc got the margins.  (I would have preferred NOT to have had any mel show up in the WLE, but that's the purpose of it!) 

Diagnosed on my 39th birthday (in October), and had the wide-excision on Dec. 8, 2000.  There was melanoma in-situ found, but the doc got the margins.  (I would have preferred NOT to have had any mel show up in the WLE, but that's the purpose of it!) 

Never, ever, ever did I believe I'd still be alive and kicking today.  I didn't change a thing, other than appreciating life better and not taking things for granted.  I eat what I want, I like a little coffee with my sugar and cream, I'm a coke-a-holic (the kind you drink, not snort!),  I smoke, take lots of meds, get very little exercise—-you know, all the BAD things.  Figured if I was gonna die, I was at least gonna enjoy my time left.

The only thing I asked God for…. was to let me live long enough that my grandkids would remember me.  They're now 4-3/4, 5-1/2, 9-1/2 and 11-1/2. (You know how important those halves and quarters are with kids ages!! haha!)  Thank you, God, for allowing me to still be around!

Guess I'll be around to annoy ya'll a bit longer!! =)

*hugz* and love to all who have followed my decade-long journey!!

~Lisa~

Viewing 39 reply threads
    • Replies
        KatyWI
        Participant

Hey girl, that's great news!  Here's to another 10 years.

I remember when I first showed up here 9 years ago, you were an active and welcoming presence.  I came back to the board when the beast came back last year, and though it sucks to have a reason to be back, I was glad to find your name among those I was looking for. 

I'll raise a (diet) coke with my lunch in your honor,

KatyWI

KatyWI
          Participant

Hey girl, that's great news!  Here's to another 10 years.

I remember when I first showed up here 9 years ago, you were an active and welcoming presence.  I came back to the board when the beast came back last year, and though it sucks to have a reason to be back, I was glad to find your name among those I was looking for. 

I'll raise a (diet) coke with my lunch in your honor,

KatyWI

BarbieGirl
              Participant

Hi Katy.. it's great to see you!!  I'm so sorry to read you're now stage 4.. grrrrrrrrr!!  I hate this damned disease!  Looks like you're staying on top of things, though, and I'm praying you can get the ipi soon!! 

I took an 8-month break, and still only drop by occasionally.  Raising 3 grandkiddos  wasn't exactly in the plans.  They definitely keep me busy, especially with school work and activities.

Please keep us (and me) updated!!  My email is [email protected] and on facebook I'm Lisa Garman Norvell.

*Hugz*

~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                Participant

Hi Katy.. it's great to see you!!  I'm so sorry to read you're now stage 4.. grrrrrrrrr!!  I hate this damned disease!  Looks like you're staying on top of things, though, and I'm praying you can get the ipi soon!! 

I took an 8-month break, and still only drop by occasionally.  Raising 3 grandkiddos  wasn't exactly in the plans.  They definitely keep me busy, especially with school work and activities.

Please keep us (and me) updated!!  My email is [email protected] and on facebook I'm Lisa Garman Norvell.

*Hugz*

~Lisa~

melanomafighter
                  Participant
                    Awesome to see this!! Congrats…I am in my 4th year…pray everyday…stage 3B
                    melanomafighter
                    Participant
                      melanomafighter
                      Participant
                      King
                      Participant

Lisa,

Celebrate!  And we feel so lucky that we have met the Barbie Girl!

Just clarify for me, please.  Did you do the Interferon for melanoma in-situ?

And your grandchildren will always remember you.  You are the best grandmother.

Miss you.

Stay Strong
                        King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver met

BarbieGirl
                          Participant

Hey Kathie!   I'm Stage 2B, but my melanoma was 2.25mm, (path report said "deeply invasive") and on my face, so my onc offered the interferon or nothing.   When they went back in to do the wide excision, there was melanoma in-situ.

I gotta run back to the school to pick up the oldest 2 girls.. ttys!!  *hugz*

~Lisa~    

Bonnie Lea
                            Participant

sorta the same.  Mine is also that stage.  cept it was 3.00mm to 4.00mm and did not do evenn the SNB but took a very large margin and got it all.  it was SSMM was offered the interferon, but declined in lieu of wait and watch and deal when it comes.  thus far, only problems were other cancers.  (sorta)  LMM on eyelid and then breast cancer both sides.  But no more melanoma I just get suspicious atypical or dysplastic what evers removed PDQ if warranted.

Congrats.  I ave yet to declare myself one day though.   Cos I believe I am NED from Melanoma since 2007 (eyelid aka earlid)  not sure how to count that.  (it being my second primary)  but NED from 2004 from my first primary of SSMM. 

yeah to you Lisa.  Many Many more decades of NED for you I see!

Bonnie Lea
                              Participant

sorta the same.  Mine is also that stage.  cept it was 3.00mm to 4.00mm and did not do evenn the SNB but took a very large margin and got it all.  it was SSMM was offered the interferon, but declined in lieu of wait and watch and deal when it comes.  thus far, only problems were other cancers.  (sorta)  LMM on eyelid and then breast cancer both sides.  But no more melanoma I just get suspicious atypical or dysplastic what evers removed PDQ if warranted.

Congrats.  I ave yet to declare myself one day though.   Cos I believe I am NED from Melanoma since 2007 (eyelid aka earlid)  not sure how to count that.  (it being my second primary)  but NED from 2004 from my first primary of SSMM. 

yeah to you Lisa.  Many Many more decades of NED for you I see!

BarbieGirl
                                Participant

Hey Kathie!   I'm Stage 2B, but my melanoma was 2.25mm, (path report said "deeply invasive") and on my face, so my onc offered the interferon or nothing.   When they went back in to do the wide excision, there was melanoma in-situ.

I gotta run back to the school to pick up the oldest 2 girls.. ttys!!  *hugz*

~Lisa~    

King
                                Participant

Lisa,

Celebrate!  And we feel so lucky that we have met the Barbie Girl!

Just clarify for me, please.  Did you do the Interferon for melanoma in-situ?

And your grandchildren will always remember you.  You are the best grandmother.

Miss you.

Stay Strong
                                  King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver met

jag
                                  Participant

Wait a minute, are you sure this isn't your 11th anniversary? I could have sworn it's been your 10 year anniversary these last 5 years.(just kidding)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

BarbieGirl
                                      Participant

John, you 'be' cracking me up!! hah!!  Lots has happened in the last 10 years, and I'm sooo happy to be here!  My first goal was to make it to 45.. because my brother died from cancer at 45, and I wanted to live longer than he did.   Next goal was 10 years (Yippee.. I made it!), and my next goal is to make 50 (next year).  I have many friends who turned 50 this year and they are so depressed!  I'll be jumping up and down for joy, and I'll always happily tell my age!   Each day… each second… is a gift, and I LOVE prezzies.  *ahem*  What'cha getting me for Christmas?  hahahah!

Oh and btw, my brithday's in October. The pathology report came out on my birthday, so that's when I say I was diagnosed.  But I wasn't NED until Dec. 8 when the doc went back to get the margins. 

Thanks for the belated birthday wishes, though! =)

~L~

BarbieGirl
                                        Participant

John, you 'be' cracking me up!! hah!!  Lots has happened in the last 10 years, and I'm sooo happy to be here!  My first goal was to make it to 45.. because my brother died from cancer at 45, and I wanted to live longer than he did.   Next goal was 10 years (Yippee.. I made it!), and my next goal is to make 50 (next year).  I have many friends who turned 50 this year and they are so depressed!  I'll be jumping up and down for joy, and I'll always happily tell my age!   Each day… each second… is a gift, and I LOVE prezzies.  *ahem*  What'cha getting me for Christmas?  hahahah!

Oh and btw, my brithday's in October. The pathology report came out on my birthday, so that's when I say I was diagnosed.  But I wasn't NED until Dec. 8 when the doc went back to get the margins. 

Thanks for the belated birthday wishes, though! =)

~L~

jag
                                        Participant

Wait a minute, are you sure this isn't your 11th anniversary? I could have sworn it's been your 10 year anniversary these last 5 years.(just kidding)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

ValinMtl
                                          Participant

So happy for you Lisa… you make me not feel as guilt ridden about not always eating well…I try but not always successful  10-years..wow..that sounds so gooooodddd.  Val

ValinMtl
                                            Participant

So happy for you Lisa… you make me not feel as guilt ridden about not always eating well…I try but not always successful  10-years..wow..that sounds so gooooodddd.  Val

BarbieGirl
                                                Participant

Thanks Val!  I eat right a lot of times.. well..kinda-sorta, if you don't count cooking veges in bacon grease.. lol!! 

I'm hoping the ipi is still doing it's job for you!   *hugz*

~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                                                  Participant

Thanks Val!  I eat right a lot of times.. well..kinda-sorta, if you don't count cooking veges in bacon grease.. lol!! 

I'm hoping the ipi is still doing it's job for you!   *hugz*

~Lisa~

akls
                                                  Participant

Congrats Lisa!  Wishing you many many more~~~

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                                    Participant

Congrats Lisa!  Wishing you many many more~~~

Amy S. in Michigan

BarbieGirl
                                                        Participant

Thanks Amy!  Wishing you many more, too!!!  I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas!

*Hugz*  ~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                                                          Participant

Thanks Amy!  Wishing you many more, too!!!  I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas!

*Hugz*  ~Lisa~

djpayn
                                                          Participant

fantastic news BG!!    youre an inspiration to us all!!   heres to another 10 years NED!!

dawna

BarbieGirl
                                                              Participant

Thanks Dawna!!  Wishing you many more NED years, too!!  Merry Christmas, my friend!!! *Hugz*

~Lisa~

BarbieGirl
                                                                Participant

Thanks Dawna!!  Wishing you many more NED years, too!!  Merry Christmas, my friend!!! *Hugz*

~Lisa~

djpayn
                                                                Participant

fantastic news BG!!    youre an inspiration to us all!!   heres to another 10 years NED!!

dawna

AlisonC
                                                                  Participant

That's fabulous news BarbieGirl 🙂   Wishing you another smooth 10 years and the chance to meet your great-grandchildren 🙂

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

AlisonC
                                                                    Participant

That's fabulous news BarbieGirl 🙂   Wishing you another smooth 10 years and the chance to meet your great-grandchildren 🙂

AlisonC

Stage IIIB

NED since 2001

CarolA
                                                                      Participant

Lisa, Barbie Girl, BG (and who knows what other names people called you!!!)

Congratulations on your 10 year mark.   I came here over 5 years ago and you certainly are one of the pillars of this community for me.    I hated when you had to leave, for family purposes, for other purposes and didn't see your signature on posts.    I've been taking bigger breaks away, for happy life reasons, sometimes just taking a break, which as you know, we all need from time to time.

Praying, keeping fingers crossed, knocking on wood—I'm a refreshed NED for two and a half years, maintaining my stage III status (orig dx Feb '05) as the recurrences (on my breast, resulting in a mastectomy) weren't "that" far from the original site. 

Keep on keeping on.   It's a little trip down memory lane, your anniversary, the good memories of MPIP–a lot of them circling around you and the old group, the bashes and reports of those good times, your singing, your wit (VERY sharp) and the exchanges.   Even though I wasn't there, the shared messages made us all feel part of that group. 

CarolA

Amherst, NY 

CarolA
                                                                        Participant

Lisa, Barbie Girl, BG (and who knows what other names people called you!!!)

Congratulations on your 10 year mark.   I came here over 5 years ago and you certainly are one of the pillars of this community for me.    I hated when you had to leave, for family purposes, for other purposes and didn't see your signature on posts.    I've been taking bigger breaks away, for happy life reasons, sometimes just taking a break, which as you know, we all need from time to time.

Praying, keeping fingers crossed, knocking on wood—I'm a refreshed NED for two and a half years, maintaining my stage III status (orig dx Feb '05) as the recurrences (on my breast, resulting in a mastectomy) weren't "that" far from the original site. 

Keep on keeping on.   It's a little trip down memory lane, your anniversary, the good memories of MPIP–a lot of them circling around you and the old group, the bashes and reports of those good times, your singing, your wit (VERY sharp) and the exchanges.   Even though I wasn't there, the shared messages made us all feel part of that group. 

CarolA

Amherst, NY 

JuleFL
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Congratulations! Just read your bio – you have been through so much. Here’s to another 10+++ years NED! Thank you for continuing to help us on the board.

Jule

JuleFL
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Congratulations! Just read your bio – you have been through so much. Here’s to another 10+++ years NED! Thank you for continuing to help us on the board.

Jule

NicOz
                                                                              Participant

*MWAH*!!!!!! (Nothing else I need to say, hun- just a huge kiss for ya :D)

xxx

NicOz
                                                                                Participant

*MWAH*!!!!!! (Nothing else I need to say, hun- just a huge kiss for ya :D)

xxx

Valentine
                                                                                  Participant

You are my hero!  I love the encouragement of hearing about people who are NED for so long.  I especially love the fact that you eat what you want and drink what you want.  I have always struggled with issues related to food and haven't been fighting the battle so much lately.  Some people view it as depression, but it's more like what you said.  Just enjoying life.  It's too short not to.

Thanks for being you!

Valentine
                                                                                    Participant

You are my hero!  I love the encouragement of hearing about people who are NED for so long.  I especially love the fact that you eat what you want and drink what you want.  I have always struggled with issues related to food and haven't been fighting the battle so much lately.  Some people view it as depression, but it's more like what you said.  Just enjoying life.  It's too short not to.

Thanks for being you!

StanN
                                                                                      Participant

A BIG Congrats Lisa,

Hopefully I'll be comming up on the big 10  myself,next year.

A beacon of HOPE for all the newbies….congrats again,

StanN

StanN
                                                                                        Participant

A BIG Congrats Lisa,

Hopefully I'll be comming up on the big 10  myself,next year.

A beacon of HOPE for all the newbies….congrats again,

StanN

James from Sydney
                                                                                          Participant

Well done Lisa what a milestone you are a great supporter for so many on the Board  especially when they needed a shoulder to lean on. I hope you have another bijillion years of NED.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                                                                                            Participant

Well done Lisa what a milestone you are a great supporter for so many on the Board  especially when they needed a shoulder to lean on. I hope you have another bijillion years of NED.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                                                                                              Participant

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                                                                                                Participant

best wishes

James

DebbieH
                                                                                                  Participant

Fabulous news, Lisa!!!!  It's hard to believe we've been hanging around here so long but THANK GOD for it!! 

You just keep going because I'm following you!  Those grandkids have enough of you in their heart now that you have no worries – and I'm thinking you still be here to see them walking down the aisle.

One thing I can never understand though – how on EARTH can you drink Coke when Pepsi is available??!!!  Congratulations – maybe we'll meet up in Franklin again someday.

Deb

DebbieH
                                                                                                    Participant

Fabulous news, Lisa!!!!  It's hard to believe we've been hanging around here so long but THANK GOD for it!! 

You just keep going because I'm following you!  Those grandkids have enough of you in their heart now that you have no worries – and I'm thinking you still be here to see them walking down the aisle.

One thing I can never understand though – how on EARTH can you drink Coke when Pepsi is available??!!!  Congratulations – maybe we'll meet up in Franklin again someday.

Deb

KyCyn
                                                                                                      Participant

Whoohoo, BG!!!!  Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it? 😉

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas,

Cyn

KyCyn
                                                                                                        Participant

Whoohoo, BG!!!!  Time flies when you're having fun, doesn't it? 😉

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas,

Cyn

MaryD
                                                                                                          Participant

That's a fantastic milestone Lisa!  And most importantly, you're livin' life to the fullest!!!

Keep it up and thanks for posting the encouraging news!

Mary

MaryD
                                                                                                            Participant

That's a fantastic milestone Lisa!  And most importantly, you're livin' life to the fullest!!!

Keep it up and thanks for posting the encouraging news!

Mary

LynnLuc
                                                                                                              Participant

Great Great news!!! I have a ton of bad habits too aside from drinking 5-6 pots of  black coffee a day…and I loveStarbucks and  my latte's! I don't drink booze cause I don't like the smell or the taste of it ( or I probably would)… I do take vitamins to paciify my hubby…but I am doing outstanding too! The 26th Dec will be my 8th month NEDversary!

LynnLuc
                                                                                                                Participant

Great Great news!!! I have a ton of bad habits too aside from drinking 5-6 pots of  black coffee a day…and I loveStarbucks and  my latte's! I don't drink booze cause I don't like the smell or the taste of it ( or I probably would)… I do take vitamins to paciify my hubby…but I am doing outstanding too! The 26th Dec will be my 8th month NEDversary!

BethA in VA
                                                                                                                  Participant

I am slow responding but wanted to tell you how Great I think this is!!  Congratulations on your NED status.  And I understand wanting to be here long enough for your grandchildren to remember.  Wow…that is soo normal!!  Keep enjoying your life.  Beth 3/B

melanomafighter
                                                                                                                      Participant

that is so wonderful to be able to share with everyone.  I hope I can say that in 10 years too!  Happy Holidays, I am only in my first year and NED for the first time this month since my surgery.  I am always in here looking for hope because the dr doesn't give me too much of it.  Stage 3B  Teresa in Indiana

melanomafighter
                                                                                                                        Participant

that is so wonderful to be able to share with everyone.  I hope I can say that in 10 years too!  Happy Holidays, I am only in my first year and NED for the first time this month since my surgery.  I am always in here looking for hope because the dr doesn't give me too much of it.  Stage 3B  Teresa in Indiana

BethA in VA
                                                                                                                        Participant

I am slow responding but wanted to tell you how Great I think this is!!  Congratulations on your NED status.  And I understand wanting to be here long enough for your grandchildren to remember.  Wow…that is soo normal!!  Keep enjoying your life.  Beth 3/B

NancyD
                                                                                                                          Participant

Congratulations Lisa,

This really is a milestone I'm glad you're able to celebrate.  I just passed my 6-year NED, yippee.

Nancy D

Stage 3B

Interferon

NancyD
                                                                                                                            Participant

Congratulations Lisa,

This really is a milestone I'm glad you're able to celebrate.  I just passed my 6-year NED, yippee.

Nancy D

Stage 3B

Interferon

Viewing 39 reply threads
                                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics