The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does diet matter? Does casein matter?

Forums General Melanoma Community Does diet matter? Does casein matter?

Participant
      Hi all, Hope everyone is enjoying the season and staying warm. I myself am in Florida and freezing!

Sooo, I am trying my hand at the whole food plant based diet. I have never been on a diet before other than to not eat gluten as I feel much better when I don’t. Being on a diet is making me feel deprived and as if I don’t want to be on it.

Seriously, I eat pretty well, very high veg and fruit, whole grain, some meat but rarely red meat. But what about dairy? And specifically, the casein in dairy? Is there a link between casein and melanoma spread?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          I asked about diet when I started immunotherapy and I basically got a casual shrug and was told to eat what made me happy and not to drink (alcohol) a lot. He had never seen a difference in prognosis but that after I reviewed my diet (mostly Mediterranean, which lots of healthy foods and organic meat and dairy as well as many vegetables) he said it was fine. The steroids I take make gain weight which I hate, but cutting down calories snd increasing exercise does not make a difference.
            sing123
            Participant
              Thanks for your response. I am also on steroids, as I think my one dose of ipi/nivo zapped my adrenals. Are you on prednisone or hydrocortisone?
              JudiAU
              Participant
                For side effects of immunotherapy I was given 20 mg hydrocortisone daily. My cortisol was high so I got them to reduce to 10 mg. I am begging and pleading for a further reduction at my next appointment. Hoping for 5.

I’ve had three craniotomies and those always start with 40 dexamethasone and then taper. One time a mistake was made and I stated on 40 mg for three months. It was awful. When I finally got off I went into sepsis.

MelMel
              Participant
                Million dollar question. Just because there is no definitive proof, which when it comes to diet is almost impossible to prove, it does not mean that no link exists. If chemical imbalance and toxicity causes genetic changes and disease then it stands to reason that cleaning up one’s body and restoring optimal health is not only possible but highly desirable especially when dealing with systemic illnesses like cancer.
                Numerous scientific studies have linked person’s gut bacteria with many different illnesses like diabetes, depression, multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s and others. Scientists are actually working on fecal transplants and have cured diabetes.
                When it comes to melanoma, the key is the immune system which seems to be compromised. Having a proper diet, is paramount in order to have a healthy immune system. Cancer patients are severely deficient in vit D and even with Covid prevention we can see how extremely important vit D is. Many studies show that having proper gut bacteria influences the response to immumotherapy for melanoma patients. The key is to establish the specific bacteria responsible for this response. Often this specific bacteria cannot be purchased isolated in a pill form but the only way to get it built up in your system is by ingesting proper juices and foods thus through proper diet. One such beneficial gut bacteria in case of favourable melanoma immune response can be slowly built up by consuming pomegranate juice over a number of weeks.
                Proper diet also provides proper ingredients in order to eliminate or minimize bad fats and oils which cause inflammation and disease. This is why cardiologists recommend the Mediterranean Diet for people with cardiovascular issues, high cholesterol and high risk for strokes and heart attacks.
                I am not aware of casein causing a cancer spread although a study of review of literature on the subject did find statistically significant prostate cancer spread in subjects who injested casein. Other cancers did not show significant association with increased casein. Personally, I would concentrate on building up your gut bacteria and not as much on casein. The other reason I say this is because two well known anti cancer diets, the Budwig Protocol, as well as the Gerson Cancer Diet both rely on young, fresh, unprocessed, unsalted cheese and quark as well as cold pressed flax seed oil. Of course you need to do your own research and decide what you think and feel is right for you.
                Steroids are horrible and really do a number on our bodies, especially If you are on them long term. Hopefully, you can get off them at some point. The side effects can linger even up to a year.
                Best of luck and hope it warms up in FL. We have cold temperatures and gray skies in MI. Enjoy the sunshine!
                Melanie

sing123
                  Participant
                    Melanie, thank you so much for your very comprehensive response. I’ve heard good things about pomegranate juice, but not specifically tied to melanoma. And yes, the microbiome. I barely drink, eat loads of vegetables and fruit, eat good sources of grain and am gluten free, but am thinking of being more restrictive (Forks over Knives) because of the steroids I take, likely permanently, and their contribution to diabetes, weight gain, and osteoporosis.

Stay warm in MI!

MelMel
                    Participant
                      I understand. Something to keep in mind when talking about cutting dairy is that most studies look at milk and not at different concentrations of fats like 2% vs 1% or skim milk. The issue may not be milk per say but it’s fat content as well as whether it is organic or not. Calcium is necessary so maybe consider Siggi’s 0% fat yogurt as a good source of protein, calcium as well as probiotics. The other thing to keep in mind is that although diet is important but so is excercise. They did studies on olympic athletes and the only athletes who did not lose bone mass were weight lifters. This makes sense because bone needs stress in order to maintain it’s density. This is also true in dentistry. When teeth occlude, bone mass is preserved however when a tooth is removed, there is no opposing stress and bone shrinks. So maybe incorporate a weight lifting regiment? I am certain you will find what works for you and you will further perfect it. Sounds like you are already doing very well.
                      Best regards,
                      Melanie
                      sing123
                      Participant
                        Thanks again, Melanie! Yes, exercise. I do daily walking, yoga, light arm weights. Maybe I should lift heavier weights.
                  Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics