The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dizziness/Balance Issues

Forums General Melanoma Community Dizziness/Balance Issues

Participant

Last week I emailed my doc to let her know I have been having times where I would lose my balance and have been getting dizzy on and off. She ordered a brain MRI, I had that done on Friday and was anxious all weekend. Yesterday morning she let me know that my brain still looks good, nothing new to report upstairs.. thank goodness.

So, I am wondering, have others on Nivo (been on Nivo alone since end of January) had similar problems? 

Last appointment I had my B12 levels tested and I am low in B12… which is probably the cause of my anemia mystery. May need more blood tests when I go on Thursday. Wondering if B12 deficiency can cause balance problems and dizziness. I know it's not an inner ear problem, I am more in tune with my ears than most people due to ear issues my entire life, so I know when my ears are causing trouble. 

Just been overall feeling off.. kind of like in a fog most of the time the past couple weeks. Hoping this goes away soon… it's making work a bit more difficult than it needs to be. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mark_DC
        Participant

Jenn, sorry i cannot help you, but great news about brain mri – i did not think this would be a problem but must be a huge relief. Hope you can build on this and overcome the side effects. You have been remarkably strong throghout treatment. Is good your doctor is on the case, hope those more expert here can help you. Good luck and great about the mri (i dread this!) mark

keepthefaith11
          Participant
            Jen, first of all I am so glad the MRI came back looking good! My dad had some pretty severe balance and dizziness issues after his third Nivo infusion. For him it lasted for about 4 days but it was so bad that my mom had to walk with him everywhere he went in the house. That was the only time he experienced that and they said it was a side effect from the infusion. How is your blood pressure? I think his was a bit low during that time as well.

Annie

jennunicorn
              Participant

Thank you. Good to know it could just be a Nivo thing. Blood pressure has been normal. Thankfully it isn't all day, mostly in the mornings. 

Hope you're doing well Annie.

keepthefaith11
                Participant
                  Jenn, I am actually at the airport flying back to Europe for my dad’s funeral. Definitely not a happy time but I am dealing with it the best I can. I am coming back on Saturday and I will be bringing my mother with me. I don’t think I have completely understood that he is gone. Maybe the funeral will bring some closure. Thank you for asking.

Annie

debwray
                  Participant

Hi Annie,

Will say a little prayer for you and your Mum. These things are so difficult before you put Internationale travel in to the mix. Had to take things one day at a time when my father died but he is often in my thoughts and in some ways I still feel his presence, its silly things like Magnolia blossom he loved or taking Mum out for a treat he would have approved of. Mum still talks to hisn photo by the bed  and says goodnight and tells him the family news. Hope the funeral and all your travelling goes smoothly.

Love from Deb

keepthefaith11
                    Participant
                      Thank you Deb. I asked my dad for a sign he is still with us after he passed 2 weeks ago. 5 days after he passed my brother took a picture of the sunrise at their home. Looked like a normal sunrise but in the actual picture there is a huge white, bright angel shape in the middle of the sun. It took my breath away and I knew it was him sending us a sign. Never seen anything like it. Also a white big bird flew right in front of my car yesterday as I was passing the neighborhood they used to live in.
                      I feel him with me all the time.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Annie

jennunicorn
                      Participant

I really can't imagine what you're feeling. The story of the sunrise picture you told is wonderful. He's absolutely with you and your family all the time. 

Sending love,

debwray
                      Participant

Hi Jenn ,

Pleased to hear the brain MRI was clear. Dizziness is listed as a less common side effect..and anemia could cause issues if you get up a bit fast from lying down. I have some balance issues from peripheral neuropathy…. Basically my feet feel numb most of the time so my brain gets positional info a bit delayed which makes me slow to respond so I am always more likely to trip. That doesn't sound like your issues though and this is due to pinched spinal nerve root exits and was a problem long before IPI nivo dose 3- currently on hold.

Does the dizzy spell take bhold when you are bending down to pick something up ? If so might be worth googling BPPV. There is a small chance it could be caused by an irritation of the nerve to your ear…any colds/virus/flu recently ?

Whatever it is hope its soon a dim and distant memory. BTW your comment about being in a fog made me wonder if it could be low thyroid levels making everything seem just a bit harder than it should be..

Love from Deb

jennunicorn
                          Participant

Thank you Deb. It doesn't seem to change much when getting up quickly or bending down and coming back up. Just an overall dizzy/foggy/uneasy feeling. Actually just started again about twenty minutes ago, and I haven't really been doing anything. Will see what thyroid and other blood tests say on Thurs when I see my doc. 

Mat
                            Participant

Jenn, yes I've had this from time to time and view it as related to fatigue as a side effect.  Although dizzy, I've not fallen and it usually resolves quickly.

jennunicorn
                              Participant

That could be it too, I have been working more lately and maybe my fatigue has just gotten a bit worse and is making me feel weird. Hate not feeling "on top of it".. I'm usually such a mutli-tasker and it seems like I'm not able to juggle as much as usual with these odd feelings. If blood work is normal on Thurs, I think I'll blame fatigue and work on it… maybe I need a vacation 🙂

geriakt
                              Participant

Yes I had a year of NIVO and has balancing issues many times. Tended to clear up after a full days rest. After one teatment of NIVO I passed out/ fainted in the hospital parking garage. My heart rate was 42 beats per min. I even had to get an EKG. 

Tom 

geriakt
                                Participant

I too had brain fog and short term memory loss. I have been off the Novo since Sept 2016 and it all improved. 

Tom 

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

Thanks for letting me know Tom. Starting B12 supplement tomorrow, hoping that maybe helps a bit. Thankfully I haven't fainted or fallen. Glad to know this is probably just a side effect of Nivo, not my favorite, but I suppose it's better than some other side effects. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics