The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Disappointing scan results. Off Zelboraf. Eye issue continues. Mulling over treatment options.

Forums General Melanoma Community Disappointing scan results. Off Zelboraf. Eye issue continues. Mulling over treatment options.

Participant

Scan results today show Mel is back in my abdomen. One area 2 1/2  X 3 1/2 cm and two smaller nodes adjacent. SO disappointing : (  . SO hard to have to hear that and then for us to relay this to the kids. Our Oncologist will be calling IU MEd and also Siteman Cancer Center ( Dr Linette) to discuss treatment options. We have been in the process of getting an appt with Dr Linette, so he may already have some of my records.

Scan results today show Mel is back in my abdomen. One area 2 1/2  X 3 1/2 cm and two smaller nodes adjacent. SO disappointing : (  . SO hard to have to hear that and then for us to relay this to the kids. Our Oncologist will be calling IU MEd and also Siteman Cancer Center ( Dr Linette) to discuss treatment options. We have been in the process of getting an appt with Dr Linette, so he may already have some of my records. Ideas discussed today were : surgery, Ipi, and another Zelboraf type drug that is supposed to be more effective, but is awaiting approval ( havent heard of this and unsure what it is). My uveitis has only slightly improved, and I am thinking  they would not start any new treatment with this issue. Since I will likely have to wait for my eye to heal, if they dont need the tumor left in, I may prefer surgery first, then beginning of the yr when I am healed up enough, start ipi ( just thinking out loud) Should hear back from my Oncologist by Friday and we will try to make the best decision based on what they tell us. Praying for wisdom! *sigh*  Feeling a little battle-weary, but remaining SO thankful for my life and all He has blessed me with.

On a good note, the eye Dr does not think my vision will be permanently damaged & I am very thankful for that news! My pupil is actually shaped like a sideways heart at the moment… looks rather unusual, haha!

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Tina,

I'm so sorry for you that the Zel stopped working….so did mine and will post on my own message.    I hope your eye problems  will completely solve quickly.   Telling family is so difficult.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Tina,

I'm so sorry for you that the Zel stopped working….so did mine and will post on my own message.    I hope your eye problems  will completely solve quickly.   Telling family is so difficult.

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Tina,

Linda

Fen
              Participant

Well shoot, Tina, that does stink but I'm glad to hear other drugs are available. Praying you get into to see Dr. Linette soon.  Fen

Snickers60
                  Participant

Weeping with you…:-(((….I'm soooo sorry, Linda !    I thought about you and prayed for you today !   Wayne and I willcontinue to do so.   Wayne heading to MDA tomorrow and I'm too sick to go, so I share in your sorrow over this miserable illness that causes so much heartache and sickness.    He is not feeling well at all for the trip, but this is your post and I was just trying to say:   WE CAN RELATE and ARE SO VERY SORRY !    πŸ™

I'm glad to hear that they THINK the vision will come back, but sorry they can't move along with treatment until eye heals.   Wayne ask if you have done Yervoy ?    He said he thought he remembered reading that you had. 

KNOW THAT GOD LOVES YOU –  and THERE ARE MANY HERE WHO CARE ABOUT YOU AND WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU !    I'm sure your EYE is HEART shaped because your heart is so big and loving.    <3

PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED.

Nancy and Wayne (3 X WARRIOR) 

Snickers60
                    Participant

Weeping with you…:-(((….I'm soooo sorry, Linda !    I thought about you and prayed for you today !   Wayne and I willcontinue to do so.   Wayne heading to MDA tomorrow and I'm too sick to go, so I share in your sorrow over this miserable illness that causes so much heartache and sickness.    He is not feeling well at all for the trip, but this is your post and I was just trying to say:   WE CAN RELATE and ARE SO VERY SORRY !    πŸ™

I'm glad to hear that they THINK the vision will come back, but sorry they can't move along with treatment until eye heals.   Wayne ask if you have done Yervoy ?    He said he thought he remembered reading that you had. 

KNOW THAT GOD LOVES YOU –  and THERE ARE MANY HERE WHO CARE ABOUT YOU AND WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU !    I'm sure your EYE is HEART shaped because your heart is so big and loving.    <3

PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED.

Snickers60
                      Participant

PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED.

Snickers60
                        Participant

Tina, sorry, I called you LINDA !   I'm a little crazy today.   Please forgive.    

HANG IN THERE GIRL – you are a fighter ……………:-)

Snickers60
                          Participant

Tina D
                            Participant

You have had one emotional day… I appreciate that you would write at all πŸ™‚

Tina D
                              Participant

Tina D
                                Participant

Snickers60
                                  Participant

Fen
                                  Participant

Well shoot, Tina, that does stink but I'm glad to hear other drugs are available. Praying you get into to see Dr. Linette soon.  Fen

Fen
                                    Participant

awillett1991
                                      Participant
                                        Tina,

I am so very sorry to hear this, I just emailed you. Keep fighting! You should email ErinMay. she started Ipi first, then abdominal surgery, and just finished Ipi #4. Sounds very similar to your situation.

Amy

awillett1991
                                        Participant
                                          Tina,

I am so very sorry to hear this, I just emailed you. Keep fighting! You should email ErinMay. she started Ipi first, then abdominal surgery, and just finished Ipi #4. Sounds very similar to your situation.

Amy

Tina D
                                            Participant

Emailed you back… thank you SO much for your kindness ! I probably will contact ErinMay when I hear back from Dr — our situations do seem pretty similar…

Tina

Tina D
                                              Participant

Emailed you back… thank you SO much for your kindness ! I probably will contact ErinMay when I hear back from Dr — our situations do seem pretty similar…

Tina

Tina D
                                                Participant

Tina

awillett1991
                                                Participant
                                                  Tina,

Amy

POW
                                                  Participant

Oh, Tina! I'm so sorry for your disappointing news! And a recurrance on top of the eye problems is just not fair!

I think your idea of surgery for now followed by a different drug makes a lot of sense. You are one tough cookie!

I will be praying for you. Please do keep us posted about your decision.

POW
                                                    Participant

Oh, Tina! I'm so sorry for your disappointing news! And a recurrance on top of the eye problems is just not fair!

I think your idea of surgery for now followed by a different drug makes a lot of sense. You are one tough cookie!

POW
                                                      Participant

Tina D
                                                          Participant

Thank you, I am glad that at least the eye issue is not expected to leave permanent vision damage. I will post when I know what we are doing, or at least when we have it narrowed down.

Thank you for the prayers!

Tina

Tina D
                                                            Participant

Thank you, I am glad that at least the eye issue is not expected to leave permanent vision damage. I will post when I know what we are doing, or at least when we have it narrowed down.

Tina

Tina D
                                                              Participant

Tina

Sherron
                                                              Participant

Tina,    I am so sorry….Please do the surgery and get those tumors out of your stomach….Jim passed away on Nov 30, 2010….they did emergency surgery on the 18th, he had like 13  tumors….he was unstable during surgery…He was so sick, and so weak getting blood transfusions every 2 weeks…losing muscle mass, etc…hurt so bad to see him get so weak….they only got the 1 tumors that was making him sick, but said too weak and unstable to get any of the others, and they were going to do the same thing…..so I am pleading and begging you to please do surgery and get them out first.

Thinking of you and yours and wishing you well.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                                                                Participant

Tina,    I am so sorry….Please do the surgery and get those tumors out of your stomach….Jim passed away on Nov 30, 2010….they did emergency surgery on the 18th, he had like 13  tumors….he was unstable during surgery…He was so sick, and so weak getting blood transfusions every 2 weeks…losing muscle mass, etc…hurt so bad to see him get so weak….they only got the 1 tumors that was making him sick, but said too weak and unstable to get any of the others, and they were going to do the same thing…..so I am pleading and begging you to please do surgery and get them out first.

Take Care,

Sherron
                                                                  Participant

Take Care,

Tina D
                                                                      Participant

Thank you, Sherron,

I have read your bio abt your husband, and you have sure had a very painful journey & I am so sorry. I appreciate that you would take the time to send such a heart-felt response. I have heard from others that the post-Zelboraf tumors tend to be more aggressive, so I dont intend to leave it there too long. If we opt for surgery first thing, I will likely have it early next week. I am waiting on a call back from the Dr…hopefully today. Thank you for sharing even with all of your own personal grief and loss.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                        Participant

Thank you, Sherron,

I have read your bio abt your husband, and you have sure had a very painful journey & I am so sorry. I appreciate that you would take the time to send such a heart-felt response. I have heard from others that the post-Zelboraf tumors tend to be more aggressive, so I dont intend to leave it there too long. If we opt for surgery first thing, I will likely have it early next week. I am waiting on a call back from the Dr…hopefully today. Thank you for sharing even with all of your own personal grief and loss.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                          Participant

Thank you, Sherron,

Tina

Gene_S
                                                                          Participant

Hi Tina,

Are you going to the Seidman Cancer Center at University Hospital in Cleveland Area?  That is where my husband goes and his oncologist is Dr. Henry Koon and he has quite a bit of experience with melanoma.  We really like Dr. Koon and he has spoke at several seminars on melanoma.  Also his clinical trial is through them for the Ipi (Yervoy).  Read his profile if you want more information on his trial.

Prayers for quick heal of the eye problems and that your treatments go well.

Judy (loving wife of Gene)

Tina D
                                                                              Participant

The place we had decided on is Siteman Cancer Center in St Louis, but we may not actually trave anywhere if my Dr manages to talk with them on the phone. My records had already been sent ( or at least the process started) before I went for the scans. I was truly not expecting anything to show up on the PET. Treatment decisions, including where to go, can get so overwhelming! What a blessing to live in a place where there are so many wonderful options!

Thank you for the prayers and advice. I will keep Cleveland in mind, too, since it isnt too much further away than St Louis.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                Participant

The place we had decided on is Siteman Cancer Center in St Louis, but we may not actually trave anywhere if my Dr manages to talk with them on the phone. My records had already been sent ( or at least the process started) before I went for the scans. I was truly not expecting anything to show up on the PET. Treatment decisions, including where to go, can get so overwhelming! What a blessing to live in a place where there are so many wonderful options!

Thank you for the prayers and advice. I will keep Cleveland in mind, too, since it isnt too much further away than St Louis.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                  Participant

Tina

Gene_S
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Tina,

Are you going to the Seidman Cancer Center at University Hospital in Cleveland Area?  That is where my husband goes and his oncologist is Dr. Henry Koon and he has quite a bit of experience with melanoma.  We really like Dr. Koon and he has spoke at several seminars on melanoma.  Also his clinical trial is through them for the Ipi (Yervoy).  Read his profile if you want more information on his trial.

Gene_S
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Tina,

DeniseK
                                                                                      Participant

Dear Tina,

I am so sorry!  I think the drug they're talking about is dabrafenib.  I am actually looking into a trial with that and a mek inhibitor VS Zelboraf.  From what I've read it does have lighter side effects.  My doctor said that the Mek inhibitor Trametinib and the newer BRAF inhibitor could be FDA approved some time next year.  I hope this is the case!!  Maybe look into the dabrafenib online to research.  I am pretty sure this is what your doctor is talking about. 

Keep fighting Tina.  ((((BIG HUGS)))))

Denise

DeniseK
                                                                                        Participant

Dear Tina,

I am so sorry!  I think the drug they're talking about is dabrafenib.  I am actually looking into a trial with that and a mek inhibitor VS Zelboraf.  From what I've read it does have lighter side effects.  My doctor said that the Mek inhibitor Trametinib and the newer BRAF inhibitor could be FDA approved some time next year.  I hope this is the case!!  Maybe look into the dabrafenib online to research.  I am pretty sure this is what your doctor is talking about. 

Denise

Tina D
                                                                                            Participant

Thank you, Denise… I think you may be right. I love to hear of new things on the horizon for us all!

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                              Participant

Thank you, Denise… I think you may be right. I love to hear of new things on the horizon for us all!

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                Participant

Just an update: I have an appt with Dr Linette at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St Louis for THIS WED!! Amazed to get in so quickly. Also, expecting a call from my Oncologist Monday after he speaks with my surgeon and other melanoma specialists. Thankful things are moving so quickly.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                  Participant

Just an update: I have an appt with Dr Linette at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St Louis for THIS WED!! Amazed to get in so quickly. Also, expecting a call from my Oncologist Monday after he speaks with my surgeon and other melanoma specialists. Thankful things are moving so quickly.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                    Participant

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                      Participant

Tina

DeniseK
                                                                                                      Participant

Dear Tina,

Denise

Richard_K
                                                                                                        Participant

Tina

Sorry to hear about Zelboraf but hope the eye Doc is correct.  Glad to see you are getting in to see Dr Linette so quickly.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                          Participant

Tina

Sorry to hear about Zelboraf but hope the eye Doc is correct.  Glad to see you are getting in to see Dr Linette so quickly.

Dick

Snickers60
                                                                                                              Participant

THINKING OF YOU TODAY, TINA D ! πŸ™‚    Hope your Doc appointment goes really, really well and you like him/them and they are very skilled and wise in the path they lead you. 

UPDATE US WHEN YOU CAN ! 

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne)   <><

Tina D
                                                                                                                Participant

Nancy,

The appt in St Louis couldn't have been any better ( unless I had been told the whole scan was misread,hahaha). We are VERY impressed with Dr Linette in every way. I have decided to start ipi at his recommendation and my first infusion will be this coming Wednesday! I have decided to travel there for him to oversee my treatment & explore new options if necessary. Hubby and I had a nice trip out and stayed overnight… it was actually a very enjoyable time. We always try to make any of this type of trip as enjoyable as possible, frequently taking one or more of the kids with us and making an outing of it πŸ™‚  . In fact, last night the youngest two were already talking abt how great it would be to get to go to St Louis… so looks like we may have companions on the next trip out πŸ™‚

Still rejoicing with you guys over your happy, happy news πŸ™‚

Tina

Snickers60
                                                                                                                  Participant

Tina D……have I missed your post during the Holiday ?     How are you ?    Update me if you feel like it ?  

WISHING THE BEST FOR YOU AND THINKING OF YOU…..

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne) 

Snickers60
                                                                                                                    Participant

TINA D – I am WORRIED about you !   Please get someone to post an UPDATE if you are not feeling well enough to.  

THINKING OF YOU….

Tina D
                                                                                                                      Participant

so sorry I missed these notes, I have been so incredibly sick and weak. I left a brief update on the other post that Amy had updated for me. I will write more as I recover, but am happy to say I am heading home today. Adhesions were the entire cause of all the pain,N/V, high WBC, fever, etc. Thank God it has all worked out as well as it has. So sorry to have worried you.

Thank you for praying and caring!

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                                        Participant

so sorry I missed these notes, I have been so incredibly sick and weak. I left a brief update on the other post that Amy had updated for me. I will write more as I recover, but am happy to say I am heading home today. Adhesions were the entire cause of all the pain,N/V, high WBC, fever, etc. Thank God it has all worked out as well as it has. So sorry to have worried you.

Tina

beatricefromPARIS
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hello Tina

Hope you are bearing your current trial well.

Picking up on an old thread of messages…

Just curious to know if the strange-shaped pupil you got when under Zelboraf went back to normal? I am concerned by mine!

Wishing you the best.

BeatricefromParis

beatricefromPARIS
                                                                                                                            Participant

Hello Tina

Just curious to know if the strange-shaped pupil you got when under Zelboraf went back to normal? I am concerned by mine!

Wishing you the best.

BeatricefromParis

beatricefromPARIS
                                                                                                                              Participant

Hello Tina

Wishing you the best.

BeatricefromParis

Tina D
                                                                                                                                Participant

Tina

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                  Participant

TINA D – I am WORRIED about you !   Please get someone to post an UPDATE if you are not feeling well enough to.  

THINKING OF YOU….

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                    Participant

THINKING OF YOU….

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Tina D……have I missed your post during the Holiday ?     How are you ?    Update me if you feel like it ?  

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                        Participant

Tina D
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Nancy,

The appt in St Louis couldn't have been any better ( unless I had been told the whole scan was misread,hahaha). We are VERY impressed with Dr Linette in every way. I have decided to start ipi at his recommendation and my first infusion will be this coming Wednesday! I have decided to travel there for him to oversee my treatment & explore new options if necessary. Hubby and I had a nice trip out and stayed overnight… it was actually a very enjoyable time. We always try to make any of this type of trip as enjoyable as possible, frequently taking one or more of the kids with us and making an outing of it πŸ™‚  . In fact, last night the youngest two were already talking abt how great it would be to get to go to St Louis… so looks like we may have companions on the next trip out πŸ™‚

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Nancy,

Tina

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                              Participant

THINKING OF YOU TODAY, TINA D ! πŸ™‚    Hope your Doc appointment goes really, really well and you like him/them and they are very skilled and wise in the path they lead you. 

UPDATE US WHEN YOU CAN ! 

Snickers60
                                                                                                                                                Participant

UPDATE US WHEN YOU CAN ! 

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Tina

Dick

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics