The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Disability Appeal for stage IV NED…

Forums General Melanoma Community Disability Appeal for stage IV NED…

Participant

I have been NED for 2 and a half years, working and making under $1000/ month for one year. My disability redetermination with Social Security was denied and now I am in the process of appealing the decision based on the fact that stage IV is a "condition" one is not expected to recover from whether one currently has active disease or not. Without my medicare/ medicaid I will not be able to be monitored for reccurrence.

I have been NED for 2 and a half years, working and making under $1000/ month for one year. My disability redetermination with Social Security was denied and now I am in the process of appealing the decision based on the fact that stage IV is a "condition" one is not expected to recover from whether one currently has active disease or not. Without my medicare/ medicaid I will not be able to be monitored for reccurrence.

My question is:  Do I need to find an attorney? I can't afford one. I will have to pay back all the months of benefits I receive during this appeal process if I am denied again. 

For the last year or so, I have been in NED "busy living" land…Please know I admire all who remain here to offer support and guidance while well. Thank you for any information.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        TAC
        Participant

It would seem to me that Stage IV would automatically qualify you for SSDI. Since you have been denied, what is the reason you were denied? If you don't know or are uncertain, call SS and find out. If you haven't provided them with evidence/documentation about your treatments, surgeries and a letter from your oncologist stating that you are Stage IV, you might consider packing akk of this info and sending it to them to support your appeal. Best of luck.

NancyGM
            Participant

At the 3 year mark of being on SSDI, I was sent a redetermination application. They based my denial on the fact that I have been "well for some time" according to my records and scan reports showing I have been NED since December 2007. Though I was told when I went back to work I could still keep my disability and Medicare, now I am being told that I am well enough to work and no longer qualify.

NancyGM
              Participant

At the 3 year mark of being on SSDI, I was sent a redetermination application. They based my denial on the fact that I have been "well for some time" according to my records and scan reports showing I have been NED since December 2007. Though I was told when I went back to work I could still keep my disability and Medicare, now I am being told that I am well enough to work and no longer qualify.

TAC
              Participant

It would seem to me that Stage IV would automatically qualify you for SSDI. Since you have been denied, what is the reason you were denied? If you don't know or are uncertain, call SS and find out. If you haven't provided them with evidence/documentation about your treatments, surgeries and a letter from your oncologist stating that you are Stage IV, you might consider packing akk of this info and sending it to them to support your appeal. Best of luck.

jag
                Participant

Charlie S is an expert in this field, any links to his old posts?  I am sure if you e-mail him, he would be happy to help you out.  That is definitely something this site should have, a guide to navigating the SS process.  Too many people given grief by stupid government workers.

jag
                  Participant

Charlie S is an expert in this field, any links to his old posts?  I am sure if you e-mail him, he would be happy to help you out.  That is definitely something this site should have, a guide to navigating the SS process.  Too many people given grief by stupid government workers.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics