The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Diagnosed with Melanoma-Insitu

Forums General Melanoma Community Diagnosed with Melanoma-Insitu

Participant

I was just diagnosed with melanoma in-situ clark level 1 on my right cheek. The shave biopsy they sent was .5cm X .5cm. It said the cells were only on the epidermis. They have referred me to a plastic surgeon and said I didn't need to see an oncologist. Has anyone had this on their face and if so how much more did they have to take out. They said once they go back in that is usually all you will need to have done except getting checked every 6 months or so. I'm worried about the scarring and just wanted to hear others experiences.

I was just diagnosed with melanoma in-situ clark level 1 on my right cheek. The shave biopsy they sent was .5cm X .5cm. It said the cells were only on the epidermis. They have referred me to a plastic surgeon and said I didn't need to see an oncologist. Has anyone had this on their face and if so how much more did they have to take out. They said once they go back in that is usually all you will need to have done except getting checked every 6 months or so. I'm worried about the scarring and just wanted to hear others experiences. Thanks! 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Standard of care for in situ is 5 mm or .5 cm margins.

Congratulations for catching this so early! In situ has virtually 100% 5 and 10 year survival.

Michel stage 1b.

MichaelFL
            Participant

Also, now that I think about it, you may wish to discuss a procedure called MOHS. I have heard and discussed with two other people in the past that have had this done of their face for in situ melanoma. My derm does it, but not all can perform this surgery due to the difficulty and skill involved. Physicians that perform Mohs Micrographic Surgery are highly trained in cancer resection, skin pathology and reconstruction. Physicians certified as Mohs surgeons by the American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology have already obtained board certification in either Dermatology or Plastic Surgery and have further certified training by the American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology as Mohs surgeons. Only physicians who have completed a residency in dermatology or plastic surgery are qualified for Mohs Micrographic Surgery training. These individuals have undertaken fellowship level training, for a minimum of a year, at an American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology qualified training centre.

Mohs surgery allows for the removal of a skin cancer with very narrow surgical margin and a high cure rate. It has been used in the removal of melanoma-in-situ (cure rate 77% to 98% depending on surgeon) Because the Mohs procedure is micrographically controlled, it provides precise removal of the cancerous tissue, while healthy tissue is spared. Mohs surgery is relatively expensive when compared to other surgical modalities. However, in anatomically important areas (eyelid, nose, lips), tissue sparing and low recurrence rate makes it a procedure of choice by many physicians.

You can read up on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_surgery

Michael

Janner
              Participant

Michael,

Not sure how all Moh's surgeons feel about it, my my cutaneous onc is also a Moh's surgeon.  He will only do Mohs on Lentigo Maligna, not any other type of melanoma in situ.  Since Lentigo Maligna is notorious for having local recurrences, they will do Mohs.   But he told me that since frozen section techniques used in Mohs do not highlight melanocytes well (stains do better), that he only uses it on Lentigo Maligna.  As I said, though, this is one Mohs surgeon's opinion and I'm not sure how universal it is.

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Michael,

Not sure how all Moh's surgeons feel about it, my my cutaneous onc is also a Moh's surgeon.  He will only do Mohs on Lentigo Maligna, not any other type of melanoma in situ.  Since Lentigo Maligna is notorious for having local recurrences, they will do Mohs.   But he told me that since frozen section techniques used in Mohs do not highlight melanocytes well (stains do better), that he only uses it on Lentigo Maligna.  As I said, though, this is one Mohs surgeon's opinion and I'm not sure how universal it is.

Janner

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Also, now that I think about it, you may wish to discuss a procedure called MOHS. I have heard and discussed with two other people in the past that have had this done of their face for in situ melanoma. My derm does it, but not all can perform this surgery due to the difficulty and skill involved. Physicians that perform Mohs Micrographic Surgery are highly trained in cancer resection, skin pathology and reconstruction. Physicians certified as Mohs surgeons by the American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology have already obtained board certification in either Dermatology or Plastic Surgery and have further certified training by the American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology as Mohs surgeons. Only physicians who have completed a residency in dermatology or plastic surgery are qualified for Mohs Micrographic Surgery training. These individuals have undertaken fellowship level training, for a minimum of a year, at an American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology qualified training centre.

Mohs surgery allows for the removal of a skin cancer with very narrow surgical margin and a high cure rate. It has been used in the removal of melanoma-in-situ (cure rate 77% to 98% depending on surgeon) Because the Mohs procedure is micrographically controlled, it provides precise removal of the cancerous tissue, while healthy tissue is spared. Mohs surgery is relatively expensive when compared to other surgical modalities. However, in anatomically important areas (eyelid, nose, lips), tissue sparing and low recurrence rate makes it a procedure of choice by many physicians.

You can read up on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_surgery

Michael

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Standard of care for in situ is 5 mm or .5 cm margins.

Congratulations for catching this so early! In situ has virtually 100% 5 and 10 year survival.

Michel stage 1b.

Janner
                    Participant

I just want to point out that while Michael is absolutely correct, 5mm margins are the norm, that doesn't mean your scar will only be 1 cm.  Basically, they make an elliptical excision in order to close the wound.  In general, the length is 3 times the width so the wound will close.  Much depends on the anatomy of the area.  I have an in situ excision on my leg where the scar is probably 1.5 inches long.  However, the plastic surgeon may have a way to minimize the impact.  I'd just be looking for a good plastic surgeon who does facial reconstruction to give you the best possible result.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                      Participant

I just want to point out that while Michael is absolutely correct, 5mm margins are the norm, that doesn't mean your scar will only be 1 cm.  Basically, they make an elliptical excision in order to close the wound.  In general, the length is 3 times the width so the wound will close.  Much depends on the anatomy of the area.  I have an in situ excision on my leg where the scar is probably 1.5 inches long.  However, the plastic surgeon may have a way to minimize the impact.  I'd just be looking for a good plastic surgeon who does facial reconstruction to give you the best possible result.

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics