The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Diagnosed at age 17 – Don’t ever give up

Forums General Melanoma Community Diagnosed at age 17 – Don’t ever give up

Participant
      Hey all,

I have lurked here for many years and this is my first time posting.

I was diagnosed a few days after my 17th birthday which was in 2006. Since then, I have had various treatments, 5 surgeries and 4 recurrences / metastasis.

I have had the following treatments:

Interferon (one month), Chemobiotherapy trial – Cisplatin, vinblastine, dacarbazine, il2, interferon – (3 cycles 1 week each), IMRT (Radiation one month), High Dose Il2 (2 courses 2 weeks each), Dabrafenib (1.5 years), Ipi/nivo (2 cycles) + nivo (13 cycles) + SBRT (Radiation 1 week).

The point that I am trying to make is that if one treatment fails, there are many options out there. Treatment choices have come a long way since I was diagnosed. I wont lie, there were times where I felt hopeless, but I managed to keep chugging along. I am happy to report that I have been NED since June. Always stay positive and let’s hope that we find a cure for 100% of the patient population. Merry (early) Christmas everyone!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        AMcReader
        Participant

Oh, Kyle, what wonderful news!!! I have been dealing with Melanoma since I was 8 in 1994 but I was Stage 1 until just this year. I can’t imagine managing Stage 4 at 17. Your story brings so much hope. Thank you for taking the time share. I hope beyond hope that life grants you a looooooong, rest-of-life reprieve from this terrible disease. Happy holidays to you!!

Johnjk04
          Participant

Kyle many thanks for leaving your uplifting report. I know there where times that I felt the end was so close by. Reading your positive news should give hope to all us. Have a Happy Ned Year !!!!

WithinMySkin
            Participant
              Congrats, Kyle!!! Its hard to stay positive when you’ve been through so much but I’m sure it made you a stronger person. Life tastes so much sweeter on the other side!! Wishing you a happy and healthy 2019!

Lauren

MelMel
              Participant

Kyle thank you for sharing your journey. Every time I have a meltdown, I ask myself …live or die? And quickly, I find there is no way out of the skin I am in but to continue carrying on. This recharges my batteries till the next time.

Merry Christmas and a Healthy New Year!

Melanie

Momofjake
                Participant

Okay!! Where have you been??? My son was also diagnosed at 17. He is 21 now, but you are 30!!! This is awesome! Jake has also done all those treatments and they were TOUGH!! He is doing okay! Not clear but plugging along. I am curious how life is going for you?? Career, when did you leave home or did you? Any relationships? These are all things Jake wants but stupid Mel gets in his way! 

So happy you are NED!! Enjoy!!!

Kerri B

KellyH
                    Participant

Kerri I am so happy to hear Jake is doing ok and hanging in there….I think of you and Jake often.  Happy New Year to you and your family!!!! Best wishes that 2019 is the year for Jake!!!!!  I will keep praying for Jake and for all the melanoma peeps and their families!!!!!!! 

Kelly : ) 

KyleS
                      Participant

Hi Kerri!  Sorry for the long delay responding back to you.  I'm married with 2 kids (ages 8 and 4) so that keeps me busy most of the time.  I moved out when I was 19.  I completed my Bachelor's degreee (took longer than most, thanks melanoma!) and I am working full time.  I know it's easier to say than do, but I just kept chugging along knowing that one day I would beat this disease.  Don't let melanoma stop you from doing the things that you want to do.  Hang in there and stay positive!!!

KellyH
                      Participant

Kyle thank you!!!!! My son was also diagnosed at age 17 in February 2018….he was Stage 3b at diagnosis. He is NED after surgery and 6 months of Nivo adjuvant therapy…we have 5 more months of treatment to go….I try to stay positive, I know things could always be worse…and I am forever grateful for all the awesome people caring for my son and for everyone on this board helping to keep me sane.  He is 18 now and his life has changed dramatically but he is in college, and we take one day at a time. He had to give up playing college baseball which was something he had worked so hard to achieve, it just proved  to be too much with school and treatments. But again, this is a little change in plan, yes, but we are so lucky to have that as a “problem” on this journey…he’s still in school, and working towards his future!!!!!  Something that In February at time of diagnosis I was so unsure and so scared of what his future would hold….I know we don’t have a crystal ball but stories like yours keep me going!!!!!  

Congratulations on your NED and enjoy those three little letters to the fullest!!!!!  

Kelly 🙂 

KyleS
                          Participant

Hi Kelly.  Yes, melanoma does like to throw curve balls at us (had to use a baseball reference 🙂 ).  I couldn't play varsity golf my senior year in high school and I remember being pretty upset.  Hang in there, only a few more months of treatment to go!  

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics