The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

depression

Forums General Melanoma Community depression

Participant

i was wandering if anyone has any good anti depression drug. something that makes you happy…im on clanasapam 1 mg and it aint working and all it does it make me sleepy. i want to know are there any happy pills out there??

i was wandering if anyone has any good anti depression drug. something that makes you happy…im on clanasapam 1 mg and it aint working and all it does it make me sleepy. i want to know are there any happy pills out there??

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies

If clonazepam is what you mean, that is for anxiety, not depression.  You need to talk to your doctor about anti-depressants.  There are many different kinds, and I wouldn't know what to recommend.  The most popular ones are the SSRIs (serotonin-reuptake inhibitors).  They are effective and have few side effects.  

Good luck with your treatments.

ellen

If clonazepam is what you mean, that is for anxiety, not depression.  You need to talk to your doctor about anti-depressants.  There are many different kinds, and I wouldn't know what to recommend.  The most popular ones are the SSRIs (serotonin-reuptake inhibitors).  They are effective and have few side effects.  

Good luck with your treatments.

ellen

carol b
        Participant

well than you for letting me know thats not for depression…i asked for an antidepressant and thats what i got, guess me n doc will have a conversation tomorrow,,,thanks again

carol b
          Participant

well than you for letting me know thats not for depression…i asked for an antidepressant and thats what i got, guess me n doc will have a conversation tomorrow,,,thanks again

glewis923
            Participant

Dear Carole,   When it comes to feeling down, i think everyone processes it with different responses; and,  there is certainly no one-size fits all drug or "technique".   The "depression" pills such as Lexapro, wellbutrin, zoloft, and so on don't do much for me, so i don't take them.  However, I think they do wonders for many.    I personally take 2 to 4 Vicodin / day then 1 to 3 mg. of Lorazepam after 7 pm or so.  Not so much for pain or sleep, but just to "make me feel better".  I normally feel good in mornings and early pm.  

It's so easy to get down evryday, every hour even if i dwell on my situation too much…..but not to think of it would be even crazier i guess.  I mask things often with humor or stoic pragmatism.  I talk to God a lot.  I also feel guilty that I'm self-consumed in my own pity at times.   a million feelings at once, sometimes.  Inevitably, we will all be at peace one day, as we all face good, bad, and ultimate human mortality.  I hope i don't sound like i'm preachin' or somethng!,   i'm not.  I guess you just gave me an opening to let my feelings out a little.

Thanks,  Love, Grady.

LV
                Participant

Grady – never feel guilty about how you feel. It's a waste of energy that's better spent elsewhere.

EddieM
                  Participant

I agree. Sometimes its bad enough feeling the way you do without adding guilt on top.

EddieM
                    Participant

I agree. Sometimes its bad enough feeling the way you do without adding guilt on top.

LV
                      Participant

Grady – never feel guilty about how you feel. It's a waste of energy that's better spent elsewhere.

glewis923
                      Participant

Dear Carole,   When it comes to feeling down, i think everyone processes it with different responses; and,  there is certainly no one-size fits all drug or "technique".   The "depression" pills such as Lexapro, wellbutrin, zoloft, and so on don't do much for me, so i don't take them.  However, I think they do wonders for many.    I personally take 2 to 4 Vicodin / day then 1 to 3 mg. of Lorazepam after 7 pm or so.  Not so much for pain or sleep, but just to "make me feel better".  I normally feel good in mornings and early pm.  

It's so easy to get down evryday, every hour even if i dwell on my situation too much…..but not to think of it would be even crazier i guess.  I mask things often with humor or stoic pragmatism.  I talk to God a lot.  I also feel guilty that I'm self-consumed in my own pity at times.   a million feelings at once, sometimes.  Inevitably, we will all be at peace one day, as we all face good, bad, and ultimate human mortality.  I hope i don't sound like i'm preachin' or somethng!,   i'm not.  I guess you just gave me an opening to let my feelings out a little.

Thanks,  Love, Grady.

MichaelFL
                        Participant

Hi Carol,

As Ellen stated, clonazepam which is also called: Ceberclon, Klonopin, Klonopin Wafer, Ritovril, or Valpax is used for the short-term relief of the symptoms of anxiety, and not depression. (there is a difference). Be aware that if you do decide to get off this drug, I believe you should discuss with the doctor about weaning yourself from it and not going off it cold turkey as the potential for some withdrawl symptoms may occur. Remember also that taking a new depression or anxiety drug may also take a few weeks to kick in too.

For a reference, here are some depression and anxiety drugs:

Drugs for anti depression:

Sertraline (Zoloft)

Escitalopram (Lexapro)

Fluoxetine (Prozac)

Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Budeprion, Zyban)

Paroxetine (Paxil)

Venlafaxine (Effexor)

Citalopram (Celexa)

Trazodone (Desyrel)

Amitriptyline (Elavil)

Duloxetine (Cymbalta)

Mirtazapine (Remeron tetracyclic)

Nortriptyline (Pamelor)

Imipramine (Tofranil)

Drugs for antianxiety:

Alprazolam Intensol
                          Alzapam
                          Ativan
                          BuSpar
                          Centrax
                          Equanil
                          Inderal
                          Inderal-LA
                          Inderide [CD]
                          Inderide LA [CD]
                          Ipran
                          Klonopin
                          Lexapro ( Lexaprotm )
                          Libritabs
                          Librium
                          Lipoxide
                          Loraz
                          Lorazepam Intensol

Luvox
                          Meprospan
                          Miltown
                          Neuramate
                          Novo-Alprazol

Romazicon
                          Paxil
                          Paxipam
                          Serax
                          T-Quil
                          Tranxene
                          Tranxene – SD
                          Tranxene T
                          Valium
                          Valrelease
                          Versed
                          Xanax

Best wishes,

Michael

MichaelFL
                          Participant

Hi Carol,

As Ellen stated, clonazepam which is also called: Ceberclon, Klonopin, Klonopin Wafer, Ritovril, or Valpax is used for the short-term relief of the symptoms of anxiety, and not depression. (there is a difference). Be aware that if you do decide to get off this drug, I believe you should discuss with the doctor about weaning yourself from it and not going off it cold turkey as the potential for some withdrawl symptoms may occur. Remember also that taking a new depression or anxiety drug may also take a few weeks to kick in too.

For a reference, here are some depression and anxiety drugs:

Drugs for anti depression:

Sertraline (Zoloft)

Escitalopram (Lexapro)

Fluoxetine (Prozac)

Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Budeprion, Zyban)

Paroxetine (Paxil)

Venlafaxine (Effexor)

Citalopram (Celexa)

Trazodone (Desyrel)

Amitriptyline (Elavil)

Duloxetine (Cymbalta)

Mirtazapine (Remeron tetracyclic)

Nortriptyline (Pamelor)

Imipramine (Tofranil)

Drugs for antianxiety:

Alprazolam Intensol
                            Alzapam
                            Ativan
                            BuSpar
                            Centrax
                            Equanil
                            Inderal
                            Inderal-LA
                            Inderide [CD]
                            Inderide LA [CD]
                            Ipran
                            Klonopin
                            Lexapro ( Lexaprotm )
                            Libritabs
                            Librium
                            Lipoxide
                            Loraz
                            Lorazepam Intensol

Luvox
                            Meprospan
                            Miltown
                            Neuramate
                            Novo-Alprazol

Romazicon
                            Paxil
                            Paxipam
                            Serax
                            T-Quil
                            Tranxene
                            Tranxene – SD
                            Tranxene T
                            Valium
                            Valrelease
                            Versed
                            Xanax

Best wishes,

Michael

carol b
                            Participant

thanks for all the replies.. i will def ask my Dr tomorrow. Another trip to vandy. Sure wish i lived closer. I hate the rides. For some reason stress make the pain worse. But im not whinning i know i got to do what i got to do.. Thanks again to you all and i hope you all have the best day ever

Fen
                                Participant

Carol – maybe your PCP could prescribe the anti-depressant and you could just tell your Vandy man.  SSRIs are routinelty prescribed and as long as your onc knows about it you could save yourself a trip.    It may take awhile to get them into your system (around 6 weeks or so) and might take some time to regulate too, but don't give up – they're really effective once you get going.

fen

Fen
                                  Participant

Carol – maybe your PCP could prescribe the anti-depressant and you could just tell your Vandy man.  SSRIs are routinelty prescribed and as long as your onc knows about it you could save yourself a trip.    It may take awhile to get them into your system (around 6 weeks or so) and might take some time to regulate too, but don't give up – they're really effective once you get going.

fen

carol b
                                  Participant

thanks for all the replies.. i will def ask my Dr tomorrow. Another trip to vandy. Sure wish i lived closer. I hate the rides. For some reason stress make the pain worse. But im not whinning i know i got to do what i got to do.. Thanks again to you all and i hope you all have the best day ever

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics